Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 in two months

Hi. I ran away a week ago from my mom. I turn 18 in two months but it is NOT healthy for me to be with her. I left the county she's in and am now in a completely different city. My boyfriend is 18 and I would like to go live with him already, which we were doing before she came and kidnapped me. I really need help and don't quite know what to do. There's a lot more to the story.

re: 18 in two months

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, we are glad that you are seeking some guidance. This sounds like a tough situation to be in, especially since it sounds like being at home with your mom is not safe for you based on the information you provided. It sounds like you left home to protect yourself and to make sure that you're safe. That's smart.

We are not legal experts here but we can provide you with some legal assistance in your area to get more direct information/answers to any legal questions. However, what we do know, is that you are close to turning 18 and that runaway laws vary from state-to-state. If your mom did file a runaway report, and for some reason you are picked up by the police, their main concern would be to reunite you with your mom. In some places if you are 17 and close to 18, the police won't make you go back - but they would look to see if you're in a safe place. If you're in a safe place, they may not make you go back home.

With that being said, if there is abuse in your home, you can file an abuse report and we can support you throughout that process.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes courage to ask for help when trying to figure out some options/seek help, which is awesome. If you would like to talk further about your situation and if you would like some referrals for legal aids, please do not hesitate to call us. We’re here 24 hours 7 days a week to support you and be a sounding board for you to bounce off ideas. Our number is 1-800-786-2929.

Good luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm staying gone til my birthday. If my boyfriend comes with me and we stay gone til I'm 18 can he get in trouble if people know he's with me?

Comment

re: 18 in two months

Hi there again,

This is a good question. We aren't legal experts, but we can speak generally. In general, since you are 17, if you leave home without permission, then your mom can file a runaway report. If the police look for you and find you with an adult (your 18 year old boyfriend), then your boyfriend could be charged with something called harboring a runaway. The consequences for that range from the police doing nothing, to fines or jail time - it usually depends on if your boyfriend has been in trouble with the police before.

Now, as soon as you turn 18 or are returned home -whatever comes first - the runaway report goes a way and doesn't stay on your permanent record or anything. At 18, you become legally responsible for yourself so you get to decide where you live. Your boyfriend would not get into trouble for having an 18 year old stay with him.

We hope that this is a helpful start for you. If you'd like to talk more or have any other questions, please call or chat with us. You can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

My parents have shared custody. Since I ran from my mom, could I get in trouble for going to live with my dad?

Comment

re:

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are glad that we are a resource that comes to mind in this time of crisis. We want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can.

From what you shared, it sounds like there might be some custody issues going on at home, we want you to know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are not able to give you a sturdy answer about what might happen in your situation. If you would want to know what would happen accurately, we would encourage you to reach out to your local police department or to reach out to a legal aid in your area. If you would want to know more information about who to contact or if you would want us to call for you, please feel free to give us a call. We are here 24/7 and would love to help you in this time of crisis.

We hope that we were able to let you know a little more about what we do and explain our services. We want you to know that our lines are open 24/7 and we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
            x
            x
            Working...
            X