17 in Missouri wanting to move out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 in Missouri wanting to move out.

I am currently 17 but will be 18 in two months. i'm a senior in high school and after i graduate i will be moving in with my dad, as i currently live with my mom. The reason for my moving in with my dad ties into issues with my mother, but due to recent recurring issues i feel the need to move out sooner. i do not have permission from my mother to move before i graduate, but the home i'll be leaving to allows me transportation to the current school im in and i will be housed by two grown adults with stable jobs and their kids. There are legal issues with my step father (who lives with my mom) that might make a solid case as to why i do not feel comfortable living in my current household and would be safer elsewhere. i don't want to live with my mom anymore but i also don't want to cause trouble for the household i want to move in with. what should i do and what are my chances of getting this other family in trouble if i do leave without my mothers permission?

I live in Missouri.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but if you are able to wait until you are 18 you would be considered a legal adult and would be able to live wherever you wanted without having any worries about being considered a runaway or any other legal issues. If you can't wait and want to leave while still 17, your mom could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any of the options listed above with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Good luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X