•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,
    Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. You deserve to feel happy and most importantly, feel safe in your own home. Your parent's actions are unacceptable and it can be scary planning out your next steps.

The abuse and beating that you described raise a lot of concern for your safety and the safety of your siblings. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 (if possible) or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering (we can also reach out to the police on your behalf).

You mentioned that you are getting severe depression and have been having thoughts of taking your own life. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone and we believe you and are here to listen. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi i live in odessa texas and i am in an abusive household. my mom mentally abuses me and the rest of my siblings. i have a feeling she has a bipolar disorder. at some points it gets so bad where her and my dad would beat me until i get bruised up and pass out. i have a 24 year old sibling that hasnt moved out yet because she is too scared that my mom will do something to her. i have a feeling that my mom has seperation anxiety because she wont let me or any of my siblings leave. im scared that im going to be stuck here like how my older sibling is. i know i am getting severe depression from all this because all i ever do is cry every night hoping that it will get better and some nights i honestly feel like taking my own life. and ever since my dad recently got laid off it has gotten worse in the house. i am literally going crazy. i have nobody to talk to about it because nobody wants to listen to me or believe me. i have ran away a couple times before when i was 16 because they beat me so bad but the cops just brought me back and whenever i tried explaining what they did they didnt believe me. this last they beat me i threatened to call the cops on them but they fought me to take my phone so i couldnt call anybody to leave. i am 17 now and im really thinking about taking off again because i cannot handle this anymore.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello, thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. We are not legal experts and we truly want to inform you as best we can. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If you leave home at 17 after completing school it is up to local police with whether or not they would return you home. It is possible that they could return you home if you are reported as a runaway, and it is also possible that they will not return you. As soon as you turn 18 in August you are legally considered an adult and can leave at any time. One way to know what your options are is to talk to local police directly. If you would like assistance calling them please reach out to 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat us for more assistance.

1-800-RUNAWAY;
    www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I am 17 I will be 18 on August 13th and i live in Houston Texas, I am wanting to runaway from home, not because of danger issues my parents just are too strict and don’t give me any freedom and I can’t handle it anymore. If I were to runaway and stay with a friend could I be forced back home and could I get my friend in trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Okay, so I am 17. 7 months away from being 18 and I really need to leave this house. People are fighting everyday and I need a place to go. What do i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    HI there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you have a difficult decision to make with whether to leave home before you are a legal adult at 18 years old in Texas. We are not legal experts and we truly want to inform you as best we can. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If you leave home at 17 after completing school it is up to local police with whether or not they would return you home. It is possible that they could return you home if you are reported as a runaway, and it is also possible that they could consider you an adult already and not return you. While having graduated high school could help your situation and have police see as more of an adult; it does not automatically make you an adult yet legally. One way to know what your options are is to talk to local police directly. If you would like assistance calling them please reach out to 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat us for more assistance.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17 turning 18 in 9 months .I live in Texas. Im graduating in 2 months and i was wondering if i leave home will the police make me come home since i've already graduated. I already know where i will go if i leave home.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. While we are not legal experts by any means, we can share our knowledge of runaway laws.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal and you would not be arrested, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. However, this is not always the case. Some police departments do not take runaway reports for someone who is 17 years old. If this is the case then then police would not force you home in the event that you leave. You can call the non-emergency number for your local police department to ask questions about their runaway protocol.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    im 17 living in texas my dad is always threatening me with the police and i just want to run away can i get arrested

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. Doing your own research while thinking about the decision to leave is really responsible and resourceful!

If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. However, some counties in Texas are much more lenient with individuals who leave at 17. Some police departments don't take a runaway report at all for young people so close to 18.

In the event that your parents do attempt to make a runaway report, it is void as soon as you turn 18. The runaway report does not stay on your record once you are a legal adult and you would have complete legal freedom to choose where you live.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m a 17 year old who lives in Texas and wants to get away from my family bc they are very mentally abusive towards me. I don't want to get any CPS or anything involved bc i don’t want my younger siblings taken away i just want to leave in peace and hopefully comeback when they dont have as much authority over me. my birthday is 9 months away .. does a runaway report stay in your record after you’re 18 ? when i turn 18 is the runaway report dropped ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! It takes a lot of courage to share your story. We’re so sorry to hear about what’s going on at home. You don’t deserve to be treated that way. You deserve to feel comfortable, safe, and loved. We’re also sorry to hear that your case worker didn’t advocate for you as much as you would have hoped. You have the option of requesting a new case worker, if you wish.
    We’re glad to hear that you have a therapist to lean on for support! Hopefully talking with them has been helpful, and continues to be helpful, in coping with everything that’s going on. We’re also glad to hear that your friend is willing to take you in – it sounds like they really care about you.

Running away is a big step, but you know your situation better than anyone else, so if that’s the decision you make, we here at NRS will do whatever we can to help you and keep you safe. Here’s some general information about running away:

- Running away is a status offense, not a legal offense. This means that you cannot get in legal trouble for running away.
    - If you run away, your parents have the right to file a runaway report at your local police department. If your parents file a runaway report, and if the police find you, they will attempt to return you home. If you tell the police that you feel unsafe at home, they will contact the Department of Family and Protective Services, and a social worker will conduct a full investigation.
    - If your parents file a runaway report, they do have the right to press harboring charges against whoever you’re staying with. This is pretty unlikely, but it’s still a possibility.

That being said, there may be some other options to explore. If your parents give their written permission, you’re able to live elsewhere – with a friend or a relative, for example. A Transitional Living Program might be another option. TLPs offer free or low-cost housing to teenagers and young adults, and they last anywhere from a few months to a few years. Most TLPs also offer programs that teach life skills and financial independence.

If you’d like to talk about what’s going home, have questions about anything we’ve mentioned, or want to explore other options, you can give us a call at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY or chat with us at www.1800runaway.org. We’re here to listen, and we’re here to help in any way we can.

Good luck & stay safe!

NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and I'm turning 18 in June. i graduate high school in may, but my dad is severely abusive, emotionally and physically. I'm going to my therapist sometime soon and my plan was if she doesn't make him leave the house for good, I was going to run away to a friends house... but I'm so scared. I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety and manic depression and I've been through a lot since sixth grade. My mom helps, but she's scared of him too, which sucks cuz she's not much help when he gets mad. The last time CPS got involved was last year and MY case worker was on my parent's side of things, beliveing them when they kept telling them i was being "dramatic" and "lying" about everything. I don't know what to do... I live in Texas. I need help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help you out. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if your parents file a report.

Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your guardian but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your guardian why you want to leave and maybe they can give you permission to do so. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X