No announcement yet.

17 years old in Texas, need to leave home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so I live with my grandparents I'm about to turn 18 in December but they mental abuse me and my grandpa is sick and we can't afford anything and I wanna go live with my dad but my grandparents are my Legal gardians will i get in trouble if I leave home

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your guardian’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your guardian. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hello I am a 17 year old from Texas I have already graduated from high school and I turn 18 in a month. My parents are separated and my mom has full custody of me but I have been living with my grandparents for 5 going on 6 years now! I have a boyfriend who had a job and live with his mom I want to move out because of the stuff I have been going through , my boyfriends mom is totally okay with me living there but I just want to know what could happen if I try to move out without my mom knowing. I haven’t lived with her for years. So I feel like there’s nothing she can do.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there without your mom’s permission. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.
      If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away

Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom why you want to move in with your boyfriend. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Wish you the best

-NRS

Hey, so I’m 16 turning 17 in 5 months. I live in Andrews, Texas. My mother and stepfather along with my biological father have abused me mentally and physically in the past year, and when we fight they tend to threaten me. My mom has told me to move out multiple times and when I try to, she immediately changes her mind. I’ve asked to move in with other family but they refuse to. My boyfriend who is 17 says that when I turn 17 I can move in with him and his family. They are good people who care about my safety.
    i have done research the past few days on the legal rights a 17 year old has in Texas. What I learned is although I can’t legally move out without parents consent, if I run away nothing bad will happen to me. I’m planning on doing so as they treat me without respect, hit me, and worse. I have been sexually abused by someone close to me and they did nothing about it. My mom yells and verbally abuses me so much that I no longer feel safe at home. But I can’t move in with my biological dad as he agrees with anything my mom says or does. What are my options, and am I right about my research?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. You mentioned that you have been abused by your mother, stepfather, and biological father within the past year - absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. Additionally, if your mom ever does throw you out of the house it can be considered neglect and you have the right to contact CPS in that situation.

Regarding your question about your research, we aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents. Often times, the closer you are to turning 18 the more likely it is that the police will not make you return home if a runaway report has been filed. This can differ a lot from town to town and it may be beneficial to call out to 311 (nonemergency police line) to verify what local police policy is regarding older runaways.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

I am 15 I have a 17 year old sister and an 11 year old brother we are being abused and neglected and being treated like slaves and my dads house we want to runaway but he told us he will put us in juvenile and our mother will not be able to get us since we want to live with her. We need help ASAP we tried to tell cps but they said nothing was wrong. We live in Texas and want to know what we can do for help.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this. That sounds like a really scary situation but we are glad that you and your siblings are doing your best to get the help you need. It’s unfortunate that CPS responded in that way. It might be helpful for you to keep track on when that report was filed and what you shared with CPS. Sometimes it can take a few tries to get the attention of CPS. If you would like to file another report or discuss further how you can get CPS to intervene, we would be able to help you out with that. Also, if you are in school and share that you are being neglected with a teacher, they would be legally mandated to file a report on your behalf. Filing multiple reports might be helpful in proving the urgency of your case. If you are willing to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and share some more details of what is going on, we could help you file a report.

We are not legal experts but it might be helpful for you to know that if your mother is your legal guardian, your father cannot legally prevent you from living with her. However, even if she is not your legal guardian, running away is only considered a status offense. That means that it is very unlikely that you running away could actually lead to you being put in a juvenile correction facility. As your guardian your dad would have the right to file a runaway report with the police which might lead to them looking for you and your siblings. If they found you, they would return you home to your father. However, if you are able to get CPS involved, it is possible that you could be relocated to foster care. We hope that some of this information has been helpful to you. You can always reach out to us again at 1-800-RUNAWAY or using our online chat service to talk more extensively. We are here 24/7.

Be safe,
      NRS

I’m thinking about moving in with a close friend that will take care of me. I’m 17 years old and I want to start living my own life and not be controlled all the time. I will stay in school also. I don’t want any police involved what should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      We hope this information will help you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

Hi I planning to run away from home even though I am 11yrs old and I live in Texas what happens if you run away from your home at this age

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      We are not legal experts but do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave home at 11 in Texas your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police find you they most likely would bring you back home. Running away can also be dangerous if you would like to talk about what is going on or need resources please give us a call.
      We are here for you 24/7 so please give us a call if you have questions or would like to explore options, as running away is not your only option. Best of luck!
      NRS

i’m 17 and a half, i have a job, license and a place to go. The only guardian i have is my mother whose mental health is just getting worse, she can’t remember if she told me yes or no; but she’ll say she said no if i have proof she said yes. not only that, she keeps putting us in unstable living situations with different men. I’m tired of the instability not only in our living situation but in her mental health. Do I need to call the police station for the county i’m moving into about if they take runaway reports or do i need to call the one i’m leaving to ask?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for reaching out. That sounds like quite a challenging situation. However, it also sounds like you're very responsible and trying hard to take care of yourself in order to be successfully independent. As you may know, 18 is the age of majority in most states, which means you are considered an adult and can live independently. So you are almost there. If you chose to leave earlier, a runaway report would need to be filed by your mother (guardian) if you leave, should she decide to do that. It may be that the police, if they receive the report, would chose not to do anything given how close to 18 you are. If your mother choses to file a runaway report, she would do that in her county, so that's the location to call. Again, it sounds like you've set up the conditions for you to successfully transition to independance.
      We hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to call the National Runaway Safeline directly at 1-800-786-2929, as we're here 24/7.

My boy is sneaking off or knight amigos girl friend dad confronted me. I don't know why he still allows her to see him. He is to be and old. 16. To punish. The phone thing. As in take away does nothing. So what my next stage? He want to go into air force. Going to ROTC is a foot play and honor student. But no car no license no job. And disrespectful. What to do. He is the olds of 3 boys. I'm a single Dad for last 10 years.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out for your son. Sounds like he is out of your control and you are not sure what the next step could be. That has to be a really hard situation to be in and here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you and your family.

One option is the next time that he does sneak out, you can report him as a runaway with local police. Running away is generally a status offense, meaning something that minors cannot do because of their age rather than something that is illegal. If he is found he could be returned home. Depending on what state you are in and your local court system, there might be programs meant to help youth who are out of control of their parents care. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY we can look to see if your state has a program like that. You might also try to reach out to your local police and ask about your local options if you are wanting the juvenile justice system to be involved.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk more about your situation. 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

I am 17 years old and I have been being mistreated by my stepmother, she has told me that Im a burden to hers and my dads marriage and that Im selfish (because I chose the military over staying home to watch her kids) and I recently told her about a miscarriage I had in March and the reason I never told anyone was because she has threatened me and said if I were to ever get pregnant she would kick me in the stomach and kick me out, my 2 younger sisters heard this and were present and when I told my dad they denied everything. Recently my dad and I got into a fight and I told him everything, I told him I didnt feel welcome in my own home and I didnt want to be there, he completely ignored everything and took her side and believed everything she told him... Im tired of living there and they are even neglecting my mental health, my counselor has concluded that I have a depressive disorder and a personality disorder of a sort, but they refuse to take me to a doctor for a proper diagnosis and even make fun of my mental health. My boyfriend (1 has recently started renting a house and it has been recommended by several people that I move in. what do i do? I have a job, a car, and I plan on enlisting in the Navy, May 2020.

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to explore the responses on this thread to see if they can help you. It is our thought by helping you during your crisis, that there are others out there going through the same situation can look at this thread and find the answers that they need as well. Of course if you need additional support you are more than welcome to reach out to us via our online chat or our 24/7 hotline.

It’s very unfortunate that you have been so vocal about the mistreatment and lack of trust that you are facing at home and no one seems to believe you. No one should feel like they aren’t being heard or having their feelings validated. We are sorry that you have to go through something like that daily. When people feel like they aren’t being heard, it’s understandable that they want to be removed from that environment and go someplace that is a little more positive and productive. Sounds like you have starts to look elsewhere (ie. your boyfriend) for that support that you do need. It’s great that you do have someone in your life that you are able to lean on and confided in about what is going on at home.

As you have probably read from our other replies on this page, is that we aren’t legal experts nor can we tell you want you should or should not do. The choice to leave home before the age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), will have to be completely you and no one else. After all, it is your own life that you are talking about so the possible consequences of what happen are going to be yours to face. There are some cases in which a police officer won't take a runaway report for someone that is 17, especially if there are a little closer to turning 18 years old. We have also heard that in TX, the rules are a little more relaxed for 17 year olds trying to leave home and move someplace else. But something to keep in mind is that though a police officer doesn't take a report it doesn't make it legal for minors to leave home before turning 18, it would still be considered a statues offense.

The thing you want to keep in mind is that once you do choose to run and/or leave, how that is going to impact your relationship with your parents and family. Being okay with what happens is completely up to you. Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t. Factoring in these kinds of thoughts into your overall plan, again can possibly help you in your choice (i.e, where are you going to be living [long term vs. short term], what's your role in the house, are you going to be working/going to school, will you be paying your share of the bills/rent, what happens if you realize down the road that you can't live together and they kick you out and/or break-up, etc). It's certainly a jump step to make and we want you to be as safe as possible when making your decision.

Best of luck!

Hi I live with my dad who has custody of me but I do have a choice to go to court and have that changed I want to leave his house in the middle of the night to go to my moms and to get him served because I know if I live with him before it’s served he will make my life hell while the trial is running I was wondering if I leave would I still have to live with him before the trial and everything is fixed or could I live with my mother while it’s going on she wants me to live with her and that’s what I want but I know he doesn’t so will I have to stay at my dads before it’s legally changed or can I leave and then deal with it

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It is very brave and admirable of you to take steps to do what is best for your well-being. You asked some really great questions. We are not legal experts , so we cannot give you absolute answers for your legal concerns. In general if you leave home without your legal guardian's permission, he can report you as a runaway. It is not illegal, but it means that the police might return you home. However this is not always the case for individuals who are close to turning 18 and we are not sure how this might affect the custody hearings. If you have a caseworker or someone assigned to your case for the hearing, they would most likely have more knowledge about your situation and the legal implications for leaving before custody is transferred. Additionally, if you call or chat with us (800-786-2929 ; 1800runaway.org) we can look up legal aide resources in your state who may be able to better answer your questions.

We are here 24/7 to listen and help if you would like to talk more about what is going on.

Good luck,
      NRS

My friend is 17 and she is being mentally and physically abused. She wants to run to my house but my mother is afraid of their family seeking legal action. If she can't get away I am afraid she might take it into her own hands and harm herself or others. Is there any way I can take her in without suffering legal action.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It is obvious that you really care about your friend and their safety. It is great that you have been able to provide support to them while they are dealing with a very difficult situation.

No one deserves to be abused, if you are ever concerned about your friend’s immediate wellbeing/safety, please reach out to the police emergency number 911. Regarding your question, we are not legal experts at NRS, however we can provide some general information. Running away is a status offense for a minor, similar to breaking curfew. This would mean they could potentially be picked up by the police and taken back home. Depending on the situation, someone who provides shelter to a runaway youth could be charged with harboring a runaway. This would be dependent on multiple things, such as state/county law and if there was an immediate danger to the youth. If you are hoping to provide long term shelter, this might be dependent on if a runaway report has been filed for your friend. It is important to note that some counties do not accept runaway reports for minors bordering on the age of majority.

If you or your friend would like further assistance or more information, you can reach out to us via our hotline (1-800-786-2929) or our chat service. We are available 24/7 and our number is toll free. We can provide mental and emotional health referrals, support, and we could help devise an action plan for dealing with this situation.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X