No announcement yet.

Living with an emancipated friend.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living with an emancipated friend.

    I'm 16 going on 17 in may and I'm having a hard time feeling wanted or even loved in my house. I'm always getting hit and yelled at for making mistakes and it gives me anxiety and depression. I don't want to stay at home anymore. I do, however want to continue my education and find a job in a better environment that I can feel comfortable and confident in. If I leave can my mother have me arrested? I'm just not able to reach my full potential at home. I also have a wonderful relationship with my best friend who is currently my boyfriend and my mother is trying to tear it apart when nothing is wrong with it. He's respectful honest caring and very responsible and drug free. But my mother is trying to get us apart. What can I do if I leave?

  • #2
    Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. Your post sounds quite similar to ones that we have had in the past. We have attached a copy of our reply that we think might be able to help you.
    If you have any follow up questions please give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,
    Originally posted by ccsmod0 View Post
    Re: i need to get away from my parents!!!!

    Thank you for reaching out to us, we are here to help.
    First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do have the right to report it and do not deserve it. You might want to think about making a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
    It sounds like living at home has become unbearable. It is understandable why you would want to leave a place like this. Unfortunately we are not legal experts but generally speaking a person is not considered an adult until they are 18. This means that their guardians are legally responsible for them. So the parent is required by law to provide for the youth (food, shelter, school, etc.) This also means that the youth cannot live anywhere else without parents’ consent. There are exceptions to this rule but those include getting the court involved such as emancipation or CPS removing the parent’s rights.
    We are sorry to hear that your family has been saying really awful things to you. You deserve to be loved and treated with respect. Who have you been able to talk to about what has been going on at home? You may find it helpful to talk to someone you trust about your home situation. They could provide you with support and possible alternative options to running away.
    You asked three very important questions. Not a lot of youth take the time to think about these things before leaving home. If you want you can give us a call and we can talk about all possible options. We provide free, confidential, and nonjudgmental services. 1-800-RUNAWAY
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp