No announcement yet.

“Legal Emancipation and Moving Out”

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • “Legal Emancipation and Moving Out”


    Im 15 and I live in NY. I have been strongly considering moving out of my home, due to the lack of privacy, and understanding that my mom and stepdad give me. I feel that all their actions have led me to be depressed, yet they won’t hear me out about my problems, and I no longer feel safe in my own home. Also, she has threatened to forcefully legally emancipate me, without my consent. In addition, earlier this year, my mom had kicked me out of my house, and I ended up living with my dad and grandma for a bit, and then realized that at the time, I felt that it was a safe environment for me to be around, and they heard me out about any issue I was having. However, I am considering moving in with a friend till the remainder of my high school year. She has already agreed (along with her guardian) to care for me, if I wish to move in with her. I feel that it is an environment that will benefit my education, and my emotional state (not simply because she is a friend of mine). Is there any way I can legally do so, with or without the consent of my mother?

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the way your parents have been treating you. It sounds like you want to live with your friend. We are not legal experts so you may want to consider contacting legal aid for more information on what your options are. Child help (1-800-422-4453) is also a great resource to find out how to transfer custody. Since you are a minor, you would need your legal guardian's consent before you can leave home. You could try asking your dad if he would talk to your mom about you moving in with your friend. If you were to stay with your friend without your parents consent, her family could get charged with harboring a runaway. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) if you have any other questions or just want to talk.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp