Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be 18 in less than two weeks

Okay so my dad has custody of Me but I'm currently at my moms for the summer and we plan to go back to my dads Friday the 14th and I turn 18 on the 23rd ... But I was thinking about just telling my dad I'm staying with.my mom because she is who I want to live with and I have a good job here and I am planning to do ecot my last year of school to graduate early but I'm scared that something.May happen because I won't quite be 18 yet but just in a matter of days I live in Ohio . So I was wondering what all my dad can do and if I could get in trouble since I'll Still be with a parent

re: I'll be 18 in less than two weeks

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it seems like you are happy living with your mom and do not want to return to your father’s home.

Have you considered talking to your father about staying with your mother? Sometimes just being able to tell your father how you are feeling and letting opening up the lines of communication could be a way to handle the situation. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we do have a conference calling service where we would be able to call out to your father with you and serve as a mediator to mediate the conversation between the both of you.

We do want to let you know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we would not be able to tell you exactly what would happen but we are able to speak generally about your situation. Because you are still technically a minor, if you were not to return home to your custodial parent, your father could file a runaway report. If you were found, typically you would be taken back to your fathers. Another thing we would want to tell you about is harboring a runaway, the person who is letting you stay with them (in this case your mother), could be potentially charged with harboring a runaway. The charges for that can vary from fines to jail time. As we mentioned, we are not legal experts here, if you would want more accurate answers remember that you are always able to reach out to your local police department.

We hope that we were able to give you more general information about what could potentially happen. If you would want to talk more about your situation or would want to see what resources are offered to you, please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), our hotline is open 24/7. We also have a live chat service that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My dad always told me once I turned 18 then.I could live with her and I always tell him and try.to talk to him about it and that's all he says . But I'm hoping since he knows in just a matter of days that.I'll.be 18 that he will just let it go and not cause problems for no reason when the day I turn 18 I'll be leaving but.i feel like if I go back till I'm 18 he won't let me leave .

Comment

I;ll be 18 in less than two weeks

Hi again,
        It sounds like you have a pretty tough decision to make.

You are welcome once again to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to talk about your situation and to weigh your options. What did you think about the
        You can also visit www. 1800-Runaway.org (NRS live chat).

We understand some decisions are very tough to make.
        It is good that you are looking at the situation and trying to figure things out.

We wish you the best of luck during this process.
        Take Care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X