No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway

    Hi, I'm 16 and from Idaho... I just graduated high school in May. I'm enrolled at a college in a nearby city this fall. I have a part-time job. I am and would be able to fully support myself without the help of my parents. The problem is they don't want me to go. I guess they've decided they don't trust me. So can I go anyway? I guess emancipation requires the consent of your legal guardians but I don't think they will consent... Can I run away? I'm sick of them imposing their religious and philosophical views on me, I'm sick of them assuming I'm going to "contaminate" my brothers with my "heathen" thoughts... I'm sick of them not respecting me. They're not abusive or anything, so maybe I don't have the grounds to run away.. I don't know. I just don't think I can live in this house for two more years.

  • #2
    re: Runaway

    Hello there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us. It’s great that you’re trying to explore what your options are. It sounds like you don’t feel comfortable at home, because your parents don’t trust you, and because they think you are imposing your beliefs on your brothers. No one should feel this way in their own home. It's smart of you to reach out - so let's see how we can support you.

    Have you tried talking to someone about how you are feeling, or tried explaining to your parents the way they make you feel? Any adult that you think might understand the way you are feeling and speak with your parents with you as a mediator.
    You also said you’ve thought about emancipation. Usually emancipation requires the acknowledgment of both of your parents. Sometimes in order to get emancipated, you would need to be moved out first. However, moving out does not mean running away.

    If you are to runaway, your parents have the right to file a runaway report and the police could look for you. If they find you, they could bring you back home. Remember we are not legal experts though, so a good option for you would be to contact your local police department. You can call their non-emergency number confidentially and ask them the same questions.

    Again, thanks for reaching out to us, and we hope that this answer makes your decision easier. If you have further questions, you can give us a call on our toll free phone number 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time. We look forward to your call or chat.

    Good luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp