Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 in Indiana. Can i get emancipated without parental consent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 in Indiana. Can i get emancipated without parental consent?

Hi. I am 16 years old girl and a Junior in high school. i live in Indiana with both my parents. I was adopted at birth through a closed adoption. My adoptive mom has always been aggressive to me but until about 4th grade when my dad started working closer and was around more. Even after that we had a couple of incidence where she would throw stuff at me or beat me senseless with a wooden spoon or ping pong paddle until they broke. She always told me that was normal. She would call me names and always calling me stupid for my grades even though I have ADD and dyslexia. When i was in 6th grade, i was on the cheer team and she would comment about my weight and the same through middle school to the point that I stopped eating and got really depressed. I attempted overdose but never went to the hospital because my best friend made me throw up. She use to hit me a lot until I could hold her arms or hit back. I have always been in a lot of activities because she said that she doesn't want me home. All she cares about is herself and her social status. We have gone bankrupt so many times because she buys a ton of clothes or all my activities cost too much. I insist on not having a ton of stuff just quality stuff but its usually expensive looking but so crappy that we always have to replace it. Recently I got her to stop hitting me completely by over powering her. While we were having one of our DAILY arguments she said that i make her life miserable and she wishes i would move out already. well i said i could if she would just consent to it. the first thing out of her mouth was "no. that just looks really bad". like i said she cares about social image. I have a boyfriend and i cant be with him a lot which i am thankful for but that problem is that he is the only person in my life that will come to my house. all my other friends are scared because she likes to scream at me on the phone for no reason. I have been screamed at on the phone for: not saying bye before i go to dinner, not calling her when i arrived somewhere even though i text her and she said okay, my phone dying and when i turn it on i have paragraphs about how irresponsible and terrible I am. Another problem is that I can't get my permit or license. She said i have to pay for it but said that she wont drive me to a job. So i can't work until i can drive and I can't drive until i can work. I am not allowed to apply for college because she doesn't want me to be told no. and i always have to walk on eggshells. I just feel like with the mental and physical strain being caused on me and the loop holes, i need to be out of here. are these enough reasons to get emancipated without their consent? I have applied for jobs and have interviews along with a place to live ready. I havent called the cops on her because she throws my phone so I never have been able to.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation. We are sorry you are experiencing all these things with your mother and situations where there doesn't seem to be a lot of understanding.

We aren’t legal experts but in general, if you want to become emancipated you would need to show that you can support yourself through a source of income, that you still go to school, and can live on your own. And based on what you said you are close to finalizing these requirements we see in most states. If you would want legal resources from our database, feel free to call into us directly, so we can look what we have for you location. Plus, we can further discuss your situation beyond emancipation, if that ends up not being an option.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY we are open 24/7.
    We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, my name is Nate. I've had to deal with my mom screaming at me, grounding me for no reason, not letting me leave the house for no reason, getting yelled at because I ask for something (Even as small as to go on a walk) for over 4 years. I've had enough of this. I've told my mom that since she always complains ab how she always needs to "dicipline me" then to emancipate me, but she will not do so. She wants to control me and my life until I am 18 years old to "Make my life as difficult as possible". I am fet up with my parents and I want to be emancipated. I looked up how to get emancipated without parental consent and it says you have to pay 150$ - 200$ and have to have a place to stay and a way of income. My mom forbids me to work anywhere until I am 18. Due to that, I have no way of making income. She tells me every year that over summer break I can, it's been 2 years and I still haven't worked at all. I am 16 years old and have no freedom over my own life. I almost got grounded because I did not want to take a shower because I did so a day or two before the said day. I as well got screamed at in the process of such. My only question is, how do I get emancipated (In Bloomington IN) if my mom will not let me get a job? (I also have my workers permit that she blandly signed and won't let me use.)

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help. No one deserve to be yelled at all the time and feel like they have no freedom. When it comes to emancipation, we are not legal experts but our information we have does not clarify if you need your parent’s consent or not. You can contact your local juvenile court to see what the emancipation requirements are in your state. You could also consider talking to your school counselor to see about any jobs that they could sign you up with.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom why having a job is important to you or how you would like more freedom. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.Wish you the best.

-NRS

Hi this is Luna Marie, well actually...my name Is Josh
      im a trans woman, or atleast that's what I identify as. See I recently discovered I'm transgender, while I tried to come out to my parents they shamed me and told me hurtful things and called me horrible names. Ive recently started thinking about emancipation but I have no proof of income. I am however 16 years old and just scheduled for my first job interview tomorrow. I was wondering if I could go up to court and file for emancipation due to my problems at home but I decided to ask first. Do you guys think I should wait to file or should I file now and then start saving money ?

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Luna Marie,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's not right for your parents to say such horrible things, your gender identity should be respected. Coming out can be a scary process since it requires a certain degree of vulnerability and holds a lot of uncertainty. Your bravery and resilience throughout this process is so admirable. You are not alone in this and the LGBT National Youth Talkline is a great resource that offers support for young people in similar situations to your own. The hotline is run by those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can reach them by calling 1-800-246-7743 or you can check out their website at gltbhotline.org. You can also check out the Trans Lifeline by calling 877-565-8860 or going to translifeline.org.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, so we can’t give you any legal advice regarding emancipation. Usually, there are certain rules and qualifications about who can and cannot be emancipated. Emancipation can often be a lengthy and expensive process and most states require that you be financially independent in order to be emancipated. Since this is a complex process it may be worthwhile to speak with a legal aid group for assistance. You can find a legal advocate by going to https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
        NRS

I am a 16 year old female and I am want to try to get emancipated my mom has been mental abusive my always yelling at me even when I didn’t do anything, treats me like a mid In a house with seven people that always a disaster and other things. she has left me without anything set out to eat or money to get food so that she could go to a guys house in another town and recently she didn’t believe that I was asleep while someone “did things” to me and has been yelling at me cause I talked to the nurse about it and cps has been called she is now telling me that I have to be watched 24/7 because I can’t be trusted. what do you think my chances are to get emancipated I have a place to stay and I will be getting a job to be able to support myself

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home where you are watched so closely and where your needs aren't being met. Emancipation is available in some states but each state has its own specific rules about who qualifies for emancipation. It may be beneficial to speak with a legal aid group about your state's emancipation policies and procedures. You may be able to find a legal aid group near you by going to https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

Some of the things that you mentioned about not having any food raise some alarm and may be considered neglect. It's good to hear that your school nurse is looking out for you. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

You also brought up that someone "did things" to you. If you were subjected to sexual violence or assault you do not have to face this alone. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X