No announcement yet.

17 yo moving from PA to nyc

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 yo moving from PA to nyc

    Hi, I'm a 17 y/o living in PA. To make it short, my dad has full custody of me, but kicks me out all the time so I've been staying with a family member. I have good friends who I can move in with in NYC, but I don't want to get them in trouble. If I move there a couple months before I turn 18 can the police come get me? My dad is abusive in every way, and we've tried to get me away from there but cys does basically nothing. I plan on going to school in NYC once I'm 18 but it'd be nice to be there a little sooner.

  • #2
    Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you have a lot that you are dealing with, including abuse from someone who should be protecting you. You do not deserve to be treated this way. You asked about some options, let’s explore a couple of them.
    You mention that there was a lot of abuse going on, which is never okay. You mentioned that child protective services have not been the most helpful, but please remember that you always have the right to make a report and that sometimes multiple reports may be helpful in building a case against your abuser. If you’d like assistance in making a report, please feel free to give us a call or to call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.
    So, we are not legal experts but we can speak generally. If you are under 18, you are in the care of your dad/family member and it is his responsibility to take care of you (i.e. he should not be kicking you out of the home). If you leave, your dad/family member has the right to file a runaway report with your local police department. This is a statutory offense. If they file a runaway report, the police will try to find your location and then bring you back to dad’s house. You have the option to say something like, “hey, this is how dad is treating me and why I left.” If there is abuse going on, the police should investigate that situation. You mentioned you were 17 and in some police departments they will not take runaway reports for folks so close to 18. To find out if this is the case in your area, you can call the non-emergency police department for your county. If that is something that we can support you with, all calls to our number are anonymous and we can look up your PD number together and call them together.
    You have a bright future ahead of you! We hope this information was helpful to make a decision. The police in NYC might question why you are not with your guardian if you are getting into trouble, but it sounds like you are trying to better yourself. Let us know if there is any other information or specific resources we can provide you by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us on our website, we’re here 27/7. We’re here to listen, here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp