No announcement yet.

can my parents report me as missing and if so what happens?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can my parents report me as missing and if so what happens?

    I’m 17 year old and I’m planing on running away this Friday during school. My boyfriend and I will be leaving to California. I’m planning on telling my parents that I’m going to stay after school for a school event so it gives me more time to run. But by the time my curfew is passed and they start to wonder where I am. Can they file a missing report of me? If so, what happens? If they find me am I required to come home? What’s better, to let them know I’m running away by leaving a note or something or if I just go and have them think I’ve gone missing? If they report me as a runnaway am I required to come home? I’m from Arizona.

  • #2
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a question that is similar to other post that we have received before. We have attached a reply that we rent to another user but we think you’ll be able to get some use out of. If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to call us 1-800-786-2929.

    Originally posted by ccsmod10 View Post
    RE: Runaway Laws in AZ

    Hello There!

    We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home. However, being so close to/being 18 some districts handle these reports differently by possibly no actively searching for youth. You could find this out by calling your local police district’s non-emergency number. You would not have to give them specific information. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could call on your behalf.

    The other legal way of leaving home would require going to court and parent or guardian giving up legal rights of you or supporting this decision. This is called the emancipation process. typically takes a long period of time and money. This would mean that in court you would have to prove that you can be completely independent. Usually youth become of legal age prior to ever having an outcome from their emancipation case. If you are interested in this option, you can also call us and we could refer you to some legal aid resources that can help begin this process.

    If you feel like the option that you are currently considering as the best decision for you is leaving home. Some things to think about for the future are deciding if you will continue your education. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan? What will your parents reaction be?

    We hope this was helpful.
    Stay Strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp