Running away at 16 to another country.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away at 16 to another country.

My girlfriend moved away close to half a year ago after we were dating a while and we were serious(not sex but we really loved each other) and we kept in contact and continued to talk and flirt. I'm homeschooled and not much happens apart from wake up, school, chores, play games and that's about all. I have been considering running away to the UK where she moved to due to parents. The state I live in has the legal age of adulthood and the age to legally move out set at 19. I am wondering if I were to do this(that is if I save enough) what could my parents legally do and are there any legal issues I could face?

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and support.

It's nice to hear that you have someone so special in your life and that you two were able to stay in contact. We are not legal experts, but if you run away while you are still a minor your parents have the right to file a runaway report and you would be returned home if found. It is not illegal to run away but there could be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. You also would most likely face troubles trying to buy a ticket or board a flight as an unaccompanied minor and especially if there was a runaway report made. If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) a liner could help explain more the consequences you could face and also walk you through other options you may have like emancipation or moving out once you are a legal adult.

Let us know how we can best help,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 03-26-2018, 04:09 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X