Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i feel like i need to leave my house for my own safty.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility at home, and we're sorry to hear that it's causing you depression and anxiety. It can definitely be overwhelming to have to take care of so many different things, all while juggling school and a job. We commend you for all that you're doing, and for recognizing that you need more support.

While we don't have any specific resources available to connect your mother with financial help (our resources are mostly geared toward assisting minors), it might be a good idea to see if she qualifies for any help through your state to help cover food and shelter expenses. It might also be helpful to see if there are any local organizations that work with individuals who don't speak English as their first language and need some support in getting on their feet. This might look like offering help to navigate the system and get more resources, assistance in learning English, finding a job, etc.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about your situation or continue to explore some options, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I live with my father and his sick girlfriend. I do everything in my house. I cook, I clean, I do absolutely everything that a mother does. I take care of the sick lady as well. I am far too nice to deny her demands. My biological mother lives with my grandparents but is not financially stable to rent her own place. My grandparents are not willing to take me. I really want to be with my mother because living here has caused me depression and anxiety. Is there a way for my mother to get some type of help financially? She doesn’t know good english so she can’t ever find a normal paying job. The job she has is barely once a week and she makes enough to pay off her phone and car bill. I am a student and I work but because of school i do not have enough to be on my own or to even help out someone with rent.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing a little about what’s been going on with us. We understand how difficult it can be to take that step. It sounds like things have been pretty overwhelming at home and you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you were to contact your school about this, they would likely have a school counselor talk to you first and try to help or gather a little bit more information about the situation in order to help you as best they can. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. By contacting Child Help you would not automatically be making a report, feel free to reach out to them with any questions you might have if you are not ready to make an abuse report.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and I don’t think i’m safe staying in the house my mom has put a camera in my room to watch me she threatens to hit me and has done it before i’m scared of her my dad does not live with me he is in a different state but he isn’t a very good option either I have self harmed before and tried to kill myself as well I feel like i’m in a nightmare as my mom is just so switchy with her moods being mad or happy towards me it is hard to get my point to her and talking to her scares me i’ve been wondering how to leave the house for a bit and even asked some of my friends if I could stay with them it’s all no answers though because it is a pandemic I might contact my school about this but I don’t think cps really needs to be involved if they contact them

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe your grandparents or another trusted adult could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom.

The second way would be to make a report to child protective services since you mentioned your safety being a concern. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello My name is Ethan and I live in Arizona at the moment and I don't feel safe or comfortable at my Home. I live with my Mom and Her boyfriend and they have had rough start to their relationship around 2-3 years ago. This was the first time I got the feeling I wasn't safe. I have been hit and threatened by my mom multiple times that she would hit me in some type of way if I did something wrong. I have had problems with depression and have had a really rough history with my mom. I thought that I would be able to last until i was 18 to move out and get away but now am starting to doubt that. My school performance has dropped and my emotion health and physical health has also has been taking a steady decline ever since about 1 year ago. I am constantly being yelled at by my mom and I don't have anybody in the house that would protect me if i wear to get beat up extremely bad at the house. That's why I've been thinking of running away or possibly moving to my Grandmas and Grandpas house as they have always been there for me. In fact I had lived with them for about 7 years . Not to mention we just had a pretty bad argument today that could have gotten South really fast. I really need a response ASAP. Please help me with this.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline public forum. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience dealing with child protective services and being placed in different homes. It’s really unfortunate that the second home that you were placed into didn’t work out for you either. It might be because of that reason your caseworker is hesitate that thing will work out for you if you were placed with your boyfriend and his family. It’s to our knowledge that they try to keep the families together when they can so they might be revaluating the situation and figuring out where you can be placed next. If you don’t have any options, something that you might want to explore is seeing if there is any local TLP (transitional living programs) that you can be placed in. Their programs are designed to help youth be successful and gain life-skills in order to gain independence. A lot of youth go into these programs that also don’t have stable housing options so that might be an option for you as well.

It sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us.

Guest replied
    I’m dealing with child and family services I was living w my grandma and left her house do to fighting and other things then I moved in with one of my friends and stuff wasn’t working out there so I left once again now I’m I’m in a difficult situation and don’t know what to do I have a boyfriend and his mom has offered to take me in but child services says they don’t know if they can allow it and I don’t have any where to go if they don’t allow it I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow it cuz I have no other options

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel safe at home. It sounds like your grandmother is where you feel safest right now.

Your parents are legally responsible for you which means they have a say in where you live. The easiest way to live with another family member would be with your parents' permission. Sometimes having another adult involved to advocate for your needs can make these difficult conversations a little easier. Perhaps your grandma can speak with your parents about you living with her at least temporarily.

If you don't feel safe at home due to neglect or abuse, you do have the option to report this to child protective services. After making a report, a caseworker would likely come to your home to investigate the situation. This would include talking to you and your parents. While you might not be removed from the home immediately, it could start a process with that outcome. If you would like to learn more about what the reporting process might look like for you, you can speak with an advocate at the National Child Abuse Hotline, www.childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 13 and i feel unsafe in my home in oklahoma, do i have the legal right to go to my grandmothers

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My dad abuses me and I feel Un safe to sleep in my home tonight

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like there's a history between you and your stepdad and it's created a really tense environment. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. Living on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of sexual and labor exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

It seems like maybe your stepdad doesn't fully understand how his past behavior and current threats and disciplinary actions are making you feel. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your stepdad so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey, my name is ****** and I’m struggling over here. I’m 14 a freshman in high school and it’s like life can’t get any harder. I’m tired of everyday being a issue of some sort it’s like I can not get away. About a month ago I became grounded for my parents finding stuff in my phone. Which I get I’m wrong for because I’m not an adult and I should have been doing most of that stuff. But what I don’t think my parents understand is that I’m a teenager and that’s what you kinda have to expect. When I first became grounded it was bad, my step-father threatened to beat me with a belt so I grabbed a belt and told him that if he hit me I would have no problem with hitting him back to which he eventually backed off and went into his room with my mom. But the begging of this whole issue began with myself, my step-father, and my Mother. We had a discussion over a stupid charger I took from my sister a while ago which I didn’t tmr her taking because I have short term memory loss that my parents know about. So we continued with the conversation and at some point my stepfather asked me a question and I answered it truthfully to which he accused me of lying and told me to bring him my phone. I refused because at first I wanted to know what I was being punished for mind you my step-father always accuses me of stuff and punish’s me for unreasonable things. Now I understand that I was wrong and I should’ve given him my phone but then I was just annoyed and let my feelings get the best of me. So my mom came after me to get the phone and my stepfather stopped my mom and he went after me. In the process of him trying to grab my phone he slapped my arm. And my stepfather used to be abusive to my mom and sister. So he hit me and my first instinct was to hit him back because I don’t do well with men hitting me. Like I biological father used to beat me with wooden blinds which is why I don’t see him anymore. So I punched him back and after that it went downhill. Long story short I ended up staying the night over a close friends house to allow the tension to go down but it just got worse and worse. The next day my mom came to pick me up and was pissed I came to realize that she had gone through my whole phone and found a lot of things. We ended up having a “family meeting” that night to witch I was interrogated and punished. My stepfather did most of the punishing by taking my phone, Tv, door, makeup, perfume, athletic and regular shorts, jeans, contacts, computer, No homecoming, and a few more things I can’t think of. Mind you most of the stuff they took wasn’t even paid for by them. Most of the clothes taken were my friends, makeup/perfume, paid for by me, shorts paid for by me, and computer was bought for me from my grandparents. It’s been 1 month since then and every day is hell. Around 2 weeks ago I wrote a note to my stepfather I never intentionally meant for him to read. But while I was over my friends house last night he went through my whole room and found it. (My mom is on my side and she allowed me to stay over my friends house this weekend so we told my stepfather I was going over my grandfathers). Anyways the more basically talked about how emotionally and physically abuse he is and how if it continues I wild have no problem with preceding with it legally. Long story short he found it and I over heard him talking to my mom about it and how this is the new normal for me oh and if your wondering how I writing this my mom have gave me her old phone to temporarily use. I’m tired of living here I wanna leave. And it’s not a opinion to love with my biological dad so I’m basically stuck. He called the cops on me the first time everything happened and she basically said there nothing she can do about it that at the end of the day he’s still my parent and I stuck with him. I’m this close to running away.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about what your friend has been facing and it sounds like you're a really good friend for reaching out for them. If they need help with any type of child abuse reporting or help about their rights as a minor or about guardianship, they can reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They can talk to them about their options and help walk them through their rights. We can also be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to help them if they decide to leave and need access to shelters or other resources.

Let us know how we can best help,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X