No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and want to runaway in a sense

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 16 and want to runaway in a sense

    So, I'm 16 and reside with my aunt. Though there's no physical abuse what's so ever, I've gone and still am going through major emotional abuse. I find myself constantly depressed and the only time I feel honestly happy is when I leave this home, not that it happens often. There are legs documents that state that I should be in the legal custody of my mom but if anything were to happen to her, then and only then does my aunt have custody of me. Though my aunt swear that the court papers were written up wrong but I doubt that. I want to run away to my mom but the problem is that she's in Arizona at the moment for school while I'm in New York. There is someone I want to also stay with, but the problem is that even though he's been more of a father to me than my actual one, he's not related by blood so he can't legally take me(I don't think). Is there a way maybe my mom or something can give me or him the okay of being able to stay with him until she's done with school next year? I just really need help and I can't stand this depression anymore. I fear it's only going to get worse than it already is....please help me...

  • #2
    Re: I'm 16 and want to run away in a sense

    Thank you very much for writing us! We’re here to listen and here to help. Sorry to hear that you have been going through a difficult time with your aunt. You definitely do not deserve to be subject to abuse—emotional or otherwise. Have you considered filing an abuse report? It is up to Child Protective Services/the Department of Human Services to decide what qualifies as abuse and they may help you find a more suitable living arrangement than your aunt’s. The National Abuse Hotline phone number is 1-800-4-A-CHILD or (1-800-422-4453). You can also check out the website below, if you’d like to learn more about what to expect when making a call.

    If you’d like support when making the call, we can definitely assist you. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We are available 24/7.

    We are not legal experts, but it seems as though it is questionable about who has legal custody over you. We could connect you with a legal aid agency nearest you so that you could talk more with them about what your options or rights are. You can also ask about having the concerned male who is like a father figure to you pursue guardianship over you.

    Here are some links for you to search for the lawyer nearest you:

    Looking for free legal help? Learn whether you may be eligible & what kind of aid is available. Also, gain important resources to help you find free legal aid.

    If you have any more questions or would like to talk more, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us!

    We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp