No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help

    hi, I need some advice, I am 17, but turn 18 in two weeks, am graduated, have a job, and am leaving in two minths for basic training for the army, I cannot live with my mom any more, can I leave her house, without legal ramiifacations?

  • #2
    RE: Help


    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad you contacted us and will try to help as best as we can. It sounds like home life is stressful causing you to want to leave. What is making home life a challenge? It seems that you have accomplished some great things and you are taking some big steps toward your future. We are glad for you.

    Regarding your question about leaving- we are not legal experts here but can provide a general response. When you turn 18, you would then become your own legal guardian (as long as your state recognizes 18 as the age of majority). This generally means that you may choose to live where you wish. It may be best to reach out to your local non-emergency police department for information on age of majority and legality of moving out at your age. Some things to be aware of if you were to leave home at 17:
    - Your mom may choose to file a runaway report which would notify the police that you left home. In most instances, police would try to take you back home depending on your situation.
    - Leaving home as a minor is not a criminal offense but a status offense which means there most likely will not be any legal consequences, but if you were to stay with someone else other than your mom while you were 17, they individual(s) involved may or may not be charged with “harboring a runaway.” This again depends on how your city, state, and even county deal with minors leaving home.

    You know what is best for you. Whatever you may decide, we hope you stay safe. If you would like some resources or further support, please know that you can reach out to us by phone, email, or chat. If you would like to discuss more in detail, please know that we are here for you 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    We hope this helps and wish you well

    Take care,
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 07-31-2015, 03:32 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp