No announcement yet.

17 yo run away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 yo run away

    So, my fiance has a 17 yo daughter, she recently ran away. We filed a missing child report and the police have been searching. She says she is staying with friends and her bf won't give info as to where she is or who she is with and lies saying he hasn't seen her. This is the 4th time now. She does nothing all day but lay in bed, stays on the phone, she just lost her first job for that very reason. We tracked her phone, but she turned it off. My fiance is tired of it, her daughter complains that we give her a hard time. But when you sleep in a sty, won't help around the house, and sleep until 5pm, of course her mom is going to get upset. Her daughter has made some contact, but she feels she is an adult and can come and go as she pleases. Her mom wants her to hey a reality check and not let her come home and see how she does, can her mom get in trouble for refusing to let her back in the house?

  • #2
    RE: 17 yo run away

    Hello there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad you contacted us, and we would like to help as best as we are able. It sounds like you and your fiancé are in a difficult position right now. From what you shared, it seems that you are wondering if your fiancé could face legal trouble for refusing to let her daughter back into the house. We are not legal experts here but can provide general information. Since her daughter is considered a minor, it is expected that she reside with her mother (legal guardian) until she reaches the age of majority (which is generally 18 in most states). As far as trouble, we are uncertain how your state of residence operates. One thing that may happen is police will return her home if she is found outside past curfew. If your fiancé informs police that she refuses her in the home, a social service agency may or may not be involved beyond that point. It may be best to contact local authorities (non-emergency police) to ask hypothetical questions to see how they handle what would be considered a “lock-out” situation. This can be done anonymously. You may also ask questions about runaway situations as well as filing a report if/when she leaves again.

    If you or your fiancé would like to speak more about your situation or would like some referrals to local agencies that may help, please know that we are here 24/7 and can be reached by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    We hope this helps and look forward to providing more support.

    Good luck and take care,

    Last edited by ccsmod6; 07-31-2015, 01:52 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp