No announcement yet.

Moving out of the house to live with my grandparents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out of the house to live with my grandparents

    I am 17 years old and I would like to move out of my house to live with my grandparents. I live in Texas and so do they, just in a different city. I have my grandparents support about moving in with them however not my parents support. I'm very unhappy here, due to the school I attend and social life I have here. I'm going to be a senior and I just want to enjoy my last year of high school with the people I grew up with and graduate with them. I tried convincing my parents however they are not budging. Is it possible that I can move out without their consent, only having my grandparents consent?

  • #2
    Re: Moving out of the house to live with my grandparents

    Hello there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you're seriously considering leaving and going to live with your grandparents. We aren't legal experts, but do recognize how certain states (such as Texas) view 17 as a gray area. Typically this means that while you might not be considered a legal adult just yet, your local law enforcement may not do as much if you do leave home prior to turning 18. Your local police or sheriff can probably speak to this more and if we know your city/town we can look up the non-emergency department number. Otherwise, it may just depend on whether or not your grandparents are okay letting you move in with them regardless of whether you have your parents permission. We hope that helps a bit and encourage you to try out our Live Chat for further help. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I am a 17 year old in the state of Kansas and I want to move to my grandparents house. They live in a suburb of my city. I am homeschooled but none of the classes I currently take are taught by my mother. My family situation is not great (though I don't believe the court would rule in favor of granting my grandparents custody of me) and I am desperate to get out. What are the laws concerning this in the state of Kansas?


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

        Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things have not been great at home. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

        Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. Sometimes police do get more lenient with young people who are so close to 18 and might not return you home. You can call the local police department's non-emergency number to ask anonymous questions about their protocol.

        The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. A helpful step is to talk more with your grandparents about moving out and seeing if they can help communicate this to your parents. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents.

        We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at

        We wish you the best,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp