No announcement yet.

I'm 17yrs old and I'm from Sc and want to move in with my bf in nc

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17yrs old and I'm from Sc and want to move in with my bf in nc

    Okay so I'm 17 and I live in South Carolina and my boyfriend and I want to move in together but he lives in North Carolina. I would finish my senior year of high school in North Carolina but I want to know if I can legal do that without having any issues with the law.

  • #2
    re: I'm 17yrs old and I'm from Sc and want to move in with my bf in nc

    Hey there,

    Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are ready to leave home and start your life with your boyfriend, it is mature of you to reach out to us and check your resources before you do.

    Unfortunately, we are not legal experts here which means that we would only be able to speak in general terms about your situation. In most states, because you are 17, you would still be considered a minor because you are under 18. Meaning that if you were to leave home, your parents do have the option of filing a runaway report, typically if you are found, you would be forced to go back home. Running away is not necessarily illegal, it is a status offense, which means that you are not allowed to do it because you are a minor. The one thing you might want to be aware of is that most states do have a law against harboring a runaway, which means that the person that you are staying with could potentially be charged for letting you stay with them. The charges for that can vary from fines to jail time, it would really depend on your situation. As I mentioned earlier, we are not legal experts here, if you would want more accurate answers, you are able to reach out to your local police department and ask them some general questions. Another option is that you are able to give us a call and we would be provide you with a legal aid where you can also reach out and ask some general questions. From our knowledge, there is no emancipation law in South Carolina, but as I mentioned, we are not legal experts here, so there might be a way you can legally leave home. Below, we have listed a general legal aid number for South Carolina where you can reach out and ask some general questions:

    Phone number: 803-359-4154
    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Wednesday
    8:30am-7:00pm Thursday
    8:30am-1:00pm Friday

    We hope that we were able to give you a general idea of what might happen or what you could generally do in your situation. Remember that we are here 24/7 and we are more than happy to talk to you a little further about your situation. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp