Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal issues

Im 14 and i want to get emacipated how do i do that ?

RE: Legal issues

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are considering emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can give you some general information about how emancipation works. Emancipation is a legal process that would make you your own legal guardian. There is usually a minimum age requirement, and youth generally have to prove to a judge that they are capable of taking care of themselves financially, that they are doing well in school, and the judge and the youth’s legal guardian usually has to agree that the youth would be better served as their own legal guardian. This can be a pretty difficult, lengthy process that can take up to a year. If you are seriously considering emancipation, we can help you find a lawyer who can help you find out what the emancipation laws are in your state and help you start the process. There might also be other options besides emancipation that can help you in your situation. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you figure out what your options are. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am 14 going on 15 and I absolutely hate living with my mom and step dad and I would like to live with my financially stable grandma but my mother is trying to force me to live with her. But I have proof that my mom said I could live with my grandmother. What do I do.

Comment

Re: Blank

Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time to reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and write to us about what has been going on with you. From your post it sounds like you have are going through a very hard time right now at home living with your mother and step-father. Seems to be very overwhelmed since it’s been going on since you have thought about going to live with your grandmother.

It seems like you have been looking around for some answers to your questions about moving out when your 15 to live with your grandmother. Unfortunately, here at the NRS we cannot tell you in definite terms what would happen if you were to leave home without permission because we are not legal experts. Laws on that specific subject vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. Since you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states), what generally happens; your parents or legal guardian (your mother) would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home.

Now your mother may give you permission to live with another family (i.e your grandmother), but without getting an official document from the court she would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that he can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again. If you were to leave home and live with your grandmother, think about what your mother might do in that situation. Either give you permission or file a runaway report. Is this something that you have discussed with your grandmother? What were some of her thoughts on the idea? Perhaps working together might help your mother change her mind and left you stay with your grandmother for a while.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X