X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what is going on. It sounds like you are experiencing a tough situation at home. It must be difficult not having any privacy from your parents and having your personal belongings destroyed. It also seems that your mother does not want to give you permission to move out. We would like to inform you that we are not legal experts. However, the emancipation process can be lengthy. You may like to consider reaching out to a friend or extended family member to see if you could potentially stay with them for a while. You may also like to consider having another conversation with your mother to inform her of your concerns and feelings regarding being unhappy and wanting to move out.

If you would like to further discuss your situation or would like more information, feel free to reach out to us directly as we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help you by telephone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice on the forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail, please call od chat us soon.

We can be reached at -1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk or any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be Safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, im 17 and turn 18 in about 6 months. I ran away not too long ago and my parents didnt like it. They took down my door, put up cameras all over the house and they even changed the passcode to the door so that i am not allowed in without permission. I want to move out now but they wont let me because they're "fighting" for me. But just last week my mom completely destroyed my room and broke a lot of things. Yes she did clean it up but its the principle of she destroyed it in the first place. Im not happy at all here and i cant keep faking the fact that i dont want to be here. Ive already looked into emancipation and i tried going with my dad (who only has visitation) and he wasnt willing to fight for meto stay. So i was forced to come back and i dont know what to do. They also constantly hold over my head the fact that we live in a nice house and they always buy us all this stuff. I hate that. So please help me out.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can.

Now we aren't legal experts here and you might have already read on this forum thread about what could happen if you were to leave home before the age of majority. So we won’t get into that since you can find it fairly easily.

It sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us, look for some safe places nearby, or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse. You can chat with us by going to our website (www.1800runaway.org) and clicking on "chat".

We certainly want to help you.

Guest replied
    im 17 and recently ive been having soo much problems with my adoptive parents and im soo tired of beig mentally and emotionally abused... even more so now that i rejected their religion.. i turn 18 in 6 weeks.. can i just leave. i have friends who told me to live with them and they could help me out but i don't want any legal troubles for them.. and im a the point that if i don't leave im gonna end up killing my self because i can't take it anymore more and im just soo tired and exhausted and my mind is tearing me apart.. can i just leave?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    hank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you telling us a little bit about what has been going on. It sounds like you are experiencing a really tough time. It must be frustrating to not have any independence or sense of privacy. You deserve to have your privacy and time to yourself, as being a teenager can be tough. We would like to commend you for securing a job and supporting yourself, as it can be difficult to do so with the pandemic going on. In relation to school, you may like to consider reaching out to your teacher for extra assistance with your assignments. We also understand that dealing with parental separation can be tough to go through alone. You may want to consider having a conversation with your parents about how the separation has been affecting you. If you do not feel comfortable with doing so, you may also like to consider reaching out to a counselor or therapist to discuss your concerns about your parents separating and your mental health.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a toll-free hotline that you can call when you are feeling overwhelmed, distressed, or thinking about killing yourself. You can also chat with them online if you prefer to do so at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. The telephone number is 1-800-273-8255.

In regards to potentially becoming emancipated, we want to inform you that we are not legal experts, however we can provide you with a general sense of how emancipation works. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are cautious about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. If you would like further information on the emancipation process feel free to contact us directly at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our live chat service.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help you by telephone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice on the forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail, please call or chat us soon.

We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk or any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    hi i am 17 years old and lately ive had some issues with my parents everything that i had to work for, they try taking it. I dont want to be in this house no more my parents literally still treat me like a child they still send me to bed at 9:30 and 30 minutes later on the weekend they try taking my phone that bought myself and never lets me outside they ground me for years at a time thy set cameras up in my room they make me sit outside in this cold room every day of school i hate it when i cry to them for help they make it my fault i want to get emancipated but my mom is making it sound worser than what it seems. My father and her split up and its just so hard to deal with ive had multiple suicide attempts but i try to turn it around and think maybe the next day it will change. ive had this one boyfriend and they manipulated the situations between him and me to make us break
    up. i cant stay here no more this is cry for help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like you are not feeling supported at home and are considering leaving. It must be challenging to maintain a job, do well in school and meet your parents' expectations. We're glad you reached out.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Some police can be more understanding about what is going on at your home. In our experience, police will oftentimes return the youth back to their guardian almost no matter what. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly, respectfully, and persistently deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

You still have options and resources available that we would be happy to talk through with you. To talk more about your situation, feel free to reach out via 1-800-RUNAWAY or via chat at 1800runaway.org. We are available 24/7.

We hope to hear from you soon,

NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17 ill be 18 in about 11 months i was wondering if i could leave and stay with a friend or something as my parents constantly are callin me a piece of ******** and that ill never amount to anything and ill always be a nothing. When i have a job that im holding down im doing school getting A’s and B’s and i just can stay at home anymore its to much for one person to handle

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I just turned 17, my mom is extremely mentally ani’s I’ve to all of my siblings. It’s worse for me because I came out a little while ago as being bisexual and she’s not supportive. Now I have a girlfriend so it’s worse. She’s also trying to force me onto birth control and I’m refusing. She’s threatening to wipe out my phone tomorrow. She has also been saying that when I turn 18 I’m going to get kicked out of the house and will have tomgraduate high school living else where. ,y girlfriend said i can live with her and so did my best friend. Obviously I would get a job and lay some sort of rent but I have no idea how much trouble I could get in with the law enforcement of my mom chose to say I’m a runaway. Also I live in citrus county Florida and I don’t know how the police handle runaways

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you contacted DCFS about your situation. Good for you. You might consider contacting them again about information on transferring custody rights to your mom so she can make decisions such as health care for you since your mother is neglecting her parental duties. Another option is to try and ask your adopted father to see that you get to the Dr. and dentist.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I was wanting to know if my adopted mom kicked me out 17 months ago and my adopted father didn’t do anything he just let it happen she knows that I’m living with my birth mom and she won’t help get me to the Dr. I’m behind on my shots I got a tooth infection and the Dr. said it can kill me so I called DCF to get my real mom some kind of rights DCF knows what my adopted mom has done to me how can I get help I don’t feel safe with her I want to stay with my real mom I know I safe here
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-23-2020, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am a 17 year old girl and I already pay for everything on my own; insurance, car payments, phone bill, food, gas, clothes. If I were to leave my house and my parents call the cops, would the owner of the house that I would now be staying at get in trouble (if they “don’t know I’ve left my house” and they believe I’m just staying the night for a few nights)?Im hardly ever home as is, the only reason they (my parents) want to to continue to stay home is so I can do things for them. Also, can cops come and force me back into my house?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are in a household that does not sound like a safe place for you. You deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, especially in your own home. It is inappropriate for your dad to hit you and it could be considered abuse. If you would like to know more about the reporting process or if you would like to make a report, we recommend reaching out to the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. It also may be a good idea to document any evidence of physical abuse if you do intend on making a report.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that the laws for emancipation vary from state to state. While it is usually much easier to get emancipated with parental consent, it is not impossible without it. If you wanted to find out more about emancipation in your state, it would be a good idea to reach out to your local county court over the phone and ask them what the procedure for getting emancipated is. You can also give us a call and we can look through our information for emancipation in your state.

If you are interested in asking us any further questions or talking about anything else, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X