X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like you are not feeling supported at home and are considering leaving. It must be challenging to maintain a job, do well in school and meet your parents' expectations. We're glad you reached out.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is not illegal to run away. Your parent/guardian could file a runaway report on you but this would NOT mean that you would get arrested or charged with anything. It typically does mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you and that would be that. Some police can be more understanding about what is going on at your home. In our experience, police will oftentimes return the youth back to their guardian almost no matter what. Police typically do not actively search for a runaway youth. However, they will go where the parent/guardian directs them if they know where you are staying. Additionally, police can sometimes be more lenient about runaway situations the closer you are to 18. You can attempt to calmly, respectfully, and persistently deny them consent to touch you or take you anywhere, and they may give up on trying to return you home. They also may not, in which case you should comply with what they tell you to do for your safety.

You still have options and resources available that we would be happy to talk through with you. To talk more about your situation, feel free to reach out via 1-800-RUNAWAY or via chat at 1800runaway.org. We are available 24/7.

We hope to hear from you soon,

NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17 ill be 18 in about 11 months i was wondering if i could leave and stay with a friend or something as my parents constantly are callin me a piece of ******** and that ill never amount to anything and ill always be a nothing. When i have a job that im holding down im doing school getting A’s and B’s and i just can stay at home anymore its to much for one person to handle

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I just turned 17, my mom is extremely mentally ani’s I’ve to all of my siblings. It’s worse for me because I came out a little while ago as being bisexual and she’s not supportive. Now I have a girlfriend so it’s worse. She’s also trying to force me onto birth control and I’m refusing. She’s threatening to wipe out my phone tomorrow. She has also been saying that when I turn 18 I’m going to get kicked out of the house and will have tomgraduate high school living else where. ,y girlfriend said i can live with her and so did my best friend. Obviously I would get a job and lay some sort of rent but I have no idea how much trouble I could get in with the law enforcement of my mom chose to say I’m a runaway. Also I live in citrus county Florida and I don’t know how the police handle runaways

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you contacted DCFS about your situation. Good for you. You might consider contacting them again about information on transferring custody rights to your mom so she can make decisions such as health care for you since your mother is neglecting her parental duties. Another option is to try and ask your adopted father to see that you get to the Dr. and dentist.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I was wanting to know if my adopted mom kicked me out 17 months ago and my adopted father didn’t do anything he just let it happen she knows that I’m living with my birth mom and she won’t help get me to the Dr. I’m behind on my shots I got a tooth infection and the Dr. said it can kill me so I called DCF to get my real mom some kind of rights DCF knows what my adopted mom has done to me how can I get help I don’t feel safe with her I want to stay with my real mom I know I safe here
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-23-2020, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am a 17 year old girl and I already pay for everything on my own; insurance, car payments, phone bill, food, gas, clothes. If I were to leave my house and my parents call the cops, would the owner of the house that I would now be staying at get in trouble (if they “don’t know I’ve left my house” and they believe I’m just staying the night for a few nights)?Im hardly ever home as is, the only reason they (my parents) want to to continue to stay home is so I can do things for them. Also, can cops come and force me back into my house?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are in a household that does not sound like a safe place for you. You deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, especially in your own home. It is inappropriate for your dad to hit you and it could be considered abuse. If you would like to know more about the reporting process or if you would like to make a report, we recommend reaching out to the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. It also may be a good idea to document any evidence of physical abuse if you do intend on making a report.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that the laws for emancipation vary from state to state. While it is usually much easier to get emancipated with parental consent, it is not impossible without it. If you wanted to find out more about emancipation in your state, it would be a good idea to reach out to your local county court over the phone and ask them what the procedure for getting emancipated is. You can also give us a call and we can look through our information for emancipation in your state.

If you are interested in asking us any further questions or talking about anything else, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i'm 16 going to be 17 in december 2020, my parents are emotionally and sometimes physically abusive and i want to be emancipated without their permission. i'm eligible for early graduation and they won't let me, they found out i've been using the car without permission and cut up my license and my father hit me in the face and left a bruise. i have a 3.7 gpa and a job. can i get emancipated without their consent?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).
    If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.
    Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi i am a 16 year old girl in florida and i turn 17 in may. plenty of my friends parents are willing to let me stay with them but im not sure if they would necessarily get a guardianship over me. my dad is emotionally, and verbally abusive to me. and he threatens to be physical to me as well. he screams that he will have me move back with my mother, but he is the one who got custody over me since she was abusing me and she abuses drugs almost everyday. would i be able to leave and live with a friend or a friends parents without the law bringing me back home or getting my friends parents in trouble? i cant stand to live here anymore. i thought i could make it until i was 18 but i really cant handle him anymore.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home. You mentioned a worry about some of your supports being arrested if you stay with them and there is a misdemeanor called harboring a runaway. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents views the situation.

You stated that you have thoughts of not being good enough for the world and that raises some concern. You deserve to be here and deserve to be happy and fulfilled. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    Hello, I am 17 years old and would like to know what my rights are to moving out of my house. Unfortunately, I live in a very mentally and emotionally abusive home where I am constantly being yelled at and questioning if I am even good enough for this world because I am constantly being treated like I am stupid and know nothing. The good news is that I have multiple people to go and live with them though I don’t want anyone to get in trouble or to get arrested. So what are my rights for moving out at 17 years old and also I a chronic illness as well and I know that I can’t afford myself Medically. So what do I do about that. I would appreciate if you could answer this soon. Btw I live in Florida.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time with both of your parents effected by substance use. And living with your uncle being mean and him threatening to call the cops if you leave makes it all harder. It is understandable that you don’t feel happy.
    If you did leave, maybe a not saying when you would be back would help. If he does call the police and they see the note, they may not do anything. Sometimes it all depends on the individual officer responding.
    To talk further about this situation, and discuss the possibilities and options more deeply, please reach out to one of our live services. You can live chat through www.1800runaway.org or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X