No announcement yet.

17 in FL how can I legally move out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 16 turning 17 in 3 weeks if i move out of my house and stay with my friend without my parents permission will my friends parents or i get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. Leaving home without permission is not illegal so you would not get into any legal trouble. But it is a status offense so your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. This means they can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. There is a possibility of whoever you stay with being charged with harboring a runaway. From what we know this is not very common and it is unlikely as long as that person does not lie to the police about you staying with them.

Some police departments are more lenient with this, and do not enforce runaway reports or harboring charges for someone who is close to turning 18. You can try calling the local police department's non-emergency line to anonymously ask if they would take a runaway report for someone your age or force you back home.

We hope this information helps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X