No announcement yet.

17 in FL how can I legally move out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 16 turning 17 in 3 weeks if i move out of my house and stay with my friend without my parents permission will my friends parents or i get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. Leaving home without permission is not illegal so you would not get into any legal trouble. But it is a status offense so your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. This means they can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. There is a possibility of whoever you stay with being charged with harboring a runaway. From what we know this is not very common and it is unlikely as long as that person does not lie to the police about you staying with them.

Some police departments are more lenient with this, and do not enforce runaway reports or harboring charges for someone who is close to turning 18. You can try calling the local police department's non-emergency line to anonymously ask if they would take a runaway report for someone your age or force you back home.

We hope this information helps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS

I want to move in with my boyfriend who is 18 we have been dating for 3 years I want to leave my house because my house hold is effecting me emotional hand physically would I have to come back if I ran away to his house it’s safer environment and he had a job to support us till I can get one

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      You mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I’m 16 and live in Florida, I live with my uncle because my dad is an addict and my mom is currently in rehab, however recently my uncle has been really mean to me and I’m just not happy he constantly threatens to send me away and I was wondering if I left home for a day, could he do anything about it because he told me if I left without asking he would call the cops.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time with both of your parents effected by substance use. And living with your uncle being mean and him threatening to call the cops if you leave makes it all harder. It is understandable that you don’t feel happy.
      If you did leave, maybe a not saying when you would be back would help. If he does call the police and they see the note, they may not do anything. Sometimes it all depends on the individual officer responding.
      To talk further about this situation, and discuss the possibilities and options more deeply, please reach out to one of our live services. You can live chat through www.1800runaway.org or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X