No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to move out at 17 in SC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal to move out at 17 in SC?

My friend is in a really abusive home situation and my girlfriend (24) and I (1 would like to take her in as soon as she is legally able. Her birthday is coming up and I am wondering if there would be any serious legal issues if she moved in when she was 17.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about what has been going on with your friend and want them to know that they deserve to feel safe and happy in their home. We are not legal experts, but generally speaking if they run away while they are still a minor, their parent or guardian could file a runaway report and they could be returned home. There also could be legal consequences for you and your girlfriend for what is called harboring a minor. Options you have would be to call out to the local police in their area and inquire about how the police handles runaway reports. Some treat them differently for 17 year olds because they are so close to being considered a legal adult. They could also treat it differently if they find your friend but they report abuse. The way to get the most accurate information would be to reach out to them directly. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you want to walk through this option or if you need help finding that local non-emergency number.

They also have the right and the option to report the abuse. If there is an abuse report on file, that could also effect how them leaving could be treated. If they want to look into that they can call out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They help with abuse reporting and also talking youth through their rights as minors.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help more.

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello. I am 17 years old and I live in Tennessee. Could I legally move to South Carolina without being forced to go back home?

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,
        NRS

I have alot of things going on in my life right now I no longer want to stay with my grandma i would like to move somewhere n go live with a family member my Grandma has custody of me but you wouldnt belive the stuff I go through I promise its extreme I'm not gonna write my name or anything but on my 17th birthday I'm thinking about leaving south Carolina to live with a family member every body is telling me the police can't make you go back home but like what are the police gonna do come to another state and say you need to return home they cant do that right? If I tell them I'm trying to better my self to be successful in life I'm gonna get a job n start doing stuff that would make me a better person I dont have any thing down in south Carolina plz respond asap I'll be looking but can I get introuble for running away? Could you ask someone or figure out if that would be ok I dont stay with my mom or dad my grandma has custody my whole life has been hell n I'm just ready to better my self. I turn 17 soon

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. From what you shared it sounds like home has been a significant source of stress and it has become very overwhelming. You deserve to live somewhere you feel safe and supported.

Generally speaking, your legal guardian does have the final say in where you live until you turn 18. If you leave without permission from your grandma, she does have the option of reporting you to the police as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. You would not get into any legal trouble, but your name would get flagged by police as a runaway. This means that if you come into contact with law enforcement, they would likely arrange for you to be returned home. Now, there is not a universal way that police handle runaway reports. In some areas, police do not consider an individual a runaway at 17. If this is the case for where your grandma is then they would not intervene to return you home. You can anonymously call the non-emergency line for the local or county police department to ask about their runaway protocol.

If there is any abuse or neglect at home, you do have the option of reporting this to child protective services. There is an organization called Child Help that advocates for young people in abusive or unsafe situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelp.org to learn more about the reporting process and how a social worker might help.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
        NRS

My daughter in 17 and we live in SC. She wants to go back to NY to live with her brother and Im am fine with that but is it legal?

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. You are legally responsible for your daughter until she turns 18, however; you can consent to a safe alternative living arrangement. If you are okay with your daughter living with her brother in NY then you are able to give your permission for her to do so.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat services 1800runaway.org.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X