No announcement yet.

read this please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • read this please

    Im 16 1/2 and I live with my grandma, who is my legal guardian, and my dad. My dad and I havent a good relationship for a while now. He always talks me down and basically says how stupid, and immature I am, but yet he is the one who acts like a little kid half the time. He yells and curses everytime we talk. He gets mad at me for the stupidest things and always says how he would love to hit me across the face. And sometimes grabs my arm or chin, then i tell him to knock it off & dont touch me. My mom is a drug addict and i see her once in a while. My dad keeps assuming im drinking or smoking when i dont do anything, he is telling my family i am when i dont and just makes me feel like im worthless and that im going to grow up to be like my mom. All my dad does is work, smoke, play softball, hangout with friends and go to the bar, and go to the casino. We never have good conversations and he calls me rude names and always yells, i cant stand it anymore. I have cried myself to sleep way too many times because of him. My grandma cant even stand him because he smokes too much, yells all the time, and doesnt help out with rent or anything. She has wanted him out of the house for a while. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to get away from him? Or if there was a way my grandma and i could get him out of the house? And also since my grandma is my legal guardian, does my dad even have any say in my decisions and life?

  • #2
    Re: read this please

    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing your situation with us. It sounds like things are difficult at home with your dad and that home can be a very stressful environment. Of course you have the right to feel safe physically and mentally at home. Do you feel safe at home? Have you considered discussing your situation with anyone else (such as a school counselor, friends, or other family members who may be able to help)? You also always have the option to report your situation to Children’s Protective Services.

    Unfortunately we are not legal experts at NRS and therefore not able to speak about your rights and the rights of your legal guardian in this situation specifically. We do have a number of resources for legal services available at NRS and are available 24/7 via our Safeline at 1-800-786-2929 to provide you with this information if helpful. Have you and your grandma discussed where you could live? Do you feel that it is safe for your grandma and you to leave the house, how would your dad react? We are also available to provide resources for potential safe shelters for you and your grandma if helpful and discuss options with you as needed.

    It sounds like your mom's drug addiction has been difficult, understandably. It can't be easy dealing with this. If you are looking for support regarding your mom's drug addiction you may find support and resources through Families Anonymous at 1-800-736-9805 or at to look for support groups in your area.

    Of course, NRS is confidential and available 24/7 to help in any way we can. We can be reached via our number above or with our online chat service at We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp