Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15, in florida, a few questions

is there a a law against housing a run away?
    like if i go to a friends house and don't tell my mom where i'm going and stay for a few days, will something happen to the people i'm now staying with?
    and also, if your a runaway, could you still go to school?
    but i'm sure if i go there, my parents would come and get me.

Re: 15, in florida, a few questions

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Switchboard to find out more about general rules and laws that govern runaways and we hope to continue to offer you answers to these tough issues when you need them most. In most states it is not considered a crime to runaway. In the case of runaways, when you are caught, it tends to give the police the responsibility to return you home to your parents, hold you until your parents come to get you, or you can be made to spend some time in juvenile hall until you are cleared to return home. It all comes down to police discretion.

However, harboring a runaway is a different issue. We recommend that you call your local police to find out anonymously what is routine for their department when responding to these issues. Harboring a runaway is a crime and those found responsible can face up to jail time or fines. But it varies from state to state and since it is difficult for us to track every local police department reaction to runaways, we request that you calll the police and get various opinions to be sure. The reason for this is sometimes certain individuals might feel it was in the runaways best interest to help out and while that is a good thing, your parents ultimately gets to decide where you live. Although this is difficult for some runaways to swallow, it best serves everyone interest to be careful. On one hand it could be that parents reserve the right to file and in others the police can take action on behalf on parents.

While the police sometimes react to runaways, they are not always quick to search for runaways unless it is an issue they see often in one individual and even this might turn off an officer from checking up when they feel they have had enough. There is a slight possibility that your parents might not even know or find out where you were hiding and your ventures may turn out to be all in your favor. In terms of school, you are allowed to go still. However, schools are expected to call your parents and they are allowed to come get you. You do have a right to an education but your parents are the ones who gets to decide from where you leave and go, before or after school.

If you need to reach out for more suggestions and want to discuss staying safe, we can be reach anytime of day, 7 days a week at 1800RUNAWAY. We have liners that are all qualified to talk to you about your options and want to hear from you. Until then, please stay safe and good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X