Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

most the boards on here I looked at don't answer this question
    they just talk about why they want to and all that.. I just want to know what will happen to me if I get caught
    here's the situation
    I haven't seen my dad in 4 years, since I was 10. I live with my "mom" and her.. Kevin. I got kicked out of school and I'm not about to go back for reasons I don't feel like saying because it would just take me forever to explain all the way and I don't believe if I did anybody would understand. It's my account so nobody else will understand but me. I haven't been to school for more then a year. I got expelled last year. For not going. And passing a note saying that I hated everybody in the school and wanted to kill them, and telling this one girl I was gonna kill her. I'm not messing, my step-dad, that's Kevin, has literilly 30 cats in this small house. And then there's 4 dogs. It's a big mess and nobody takes care of it. IT'S DISGUSTING! I HATE MY MOM AND I HAVE FOR A LONG TIME. All of my "friends" left me behind a long time ago, but they were never there anyways. Nobody was ever there. So my "mom" doesn't even talk to me. I literally haven't had a conversation with anybody in about a year. Kevin threw me out of my house at 10 at night when my mom was in Washington (we live in Indiana) because her mom was dying. I went to my aunts. And I had to fight her to let me stay there. He calls me a "worthless" [edited for language] and then there's his lovely cats. And my "mom" doesn't do a damn thing about it.
    And then there's more. I think I'm literally going crazy. And it's scaring me. Things have been happening to me since I was very little. I spend all day everyday literally going into my own little world in my head. I have friends there and a family that loves me. And then I cry the rest of the day because it's not real. Nobody cares about me and I don't care about anybody.
    I'm starting to have flash backs from when I was a child (like, 5 or 6?) and they make me cry and there's thoughts that I can't get out of my head. My dad's friends.. did things to me when I was little. And now EVERYTHING is coming back to me. AND I HAVE NOBODY TO TALK TO ABOUT IT AND NOBODY CARES.
    Mom expects me to do homeschooling, k12.com
    I can't do it. I can't do hours of it everyday. She says I have to do something. I'm having a hard enough time just staying alive and it all seems so hopeless. I have broke down and cried in front of my mom and begged her to do something many times and she does nothing. And now I'm getting worse. I'm drifting in and out. Like, I'm not here anymore half the time, and nobody even knows or cares. I haven't left this house in god knows how long. I LITERALLY HAVEN'T TALKED TO ANYBODY IN 11 MONTHS. [edited for content].
    I HAVE TO GET AWAY.
  • ccsmod6
    Super Moderator
    • May 2007

Re: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Switchboard. The situation you are describing to us sounds very serious and you truly seem to be in a crisis. We care about your safety and we are worried that you might not be in a safe situation right now. It seems to us that we would best be able to help you if you called us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We would like to speak with you in a more private setting so that we can discuss your situation and options more in depth. We want you to stay safe and we hope that you are able to take the first step and call us. You also have the option of speaking with someone at the National Suicide Hotline (1-800-273-TALK). Along with the National Suicide Hotline, we are here 24/7. If you call us, you will speak to someone at the National Runaway Switchboard and your conversation will be completely anonymous and confidential. If you call the National Suicide Hotline, you will be routed to the closest possible crisis center in your area. Hopefully, you are able to take advantage of one of these options and stay safe.

We look forward to speaking with you,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Unregistered

Help

I need help. My parents are driving me insane, they dont understand that i am a teenager and constantly abusing me with their words. I need to get out of here, i have many places that i could live in, but will i get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        Super Moderator
        • May 2007

Thanks so much for contacting us. It sounds like a very frustrating situation. If you feel that talking with your parents and explaining to them how you do not appreciate or deserve verbal abusive will not be an effective solution, you do have some options. It is great that you have other places where you could live and feel more supported.

What might happen if you run away without your parent’s knowledge is that they could file a runaway report with the police. What this means is that if they know where you are, they may be able to have the police pick you up and charge you with a status offense since you are under the age of 18. If your parents don’t know where you would be staying then the only way the police would be able to find you is if you got picked up by them for another reason and they looked you up in their system. Depending on the State you are living in the people who you go to stay with may get in trouble if the police find out they are helping a runaway. That really does depend on the State though, so if you would feel comfortable telling us which State you are from and which State you are thinking about running away to we can look that up for you. Unfortunately we don’t have a legal background, but we can look up as much information as our resources provide us with and let you know what we find. This can be a very overwhelming process, and a lot to think about so just know that we are here for you.

If you think that there is a chance that if you had help talking to your parents they might listen and change how they have been speaking to you then there are a few options there as well. First, if there is an adult that you trust to support you and be with you when you talk with your parents this could be a great resource. You could plan out with them what you want to say, how to word it, and then figure out with them how they could mediate the conversation so that your parents really heard what you need to say to them and understand where you are coming from. Another resource is of course us. We do conference calls where we talk with you on the phone and get the whole story from you, and then work out how to talk about it with your parents. Then we would call your parents, hear how they felt about the whole situation, and bring you both on the line at the same time so that you could talk to each other with us there to mediate the call. We would serve to make sure that your parents don’t yell at you while you told them how you feel, and try to help you make them understand your point of view. Our conference call service is a lot like that first option of working with an adult, but it is over the phone with us instead.

This is a lot to think about, but we hope that it helps you work through what you’d like to do. Feel free to write us back if you have any more questions, or you can give us a call. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential. Good luck!

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• Unregistered

I live in california and i ran away lastnight because i am tired of being mistreated. I really hate being there im 16 what is consequence with police

Comment

• ccsmod5
            Super Moderator
            • May 2007

RE: (no title)

Hello,
            Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re going through an intense time at home. We’re sorry to hear that people are mistreating you at home. We’ll try and help out as best as we can.

What’s going on at home that you had to leave? What type of mistreatment are you experiencing? We hope that you found people that are safe and people that you trust.

As far as consequences with the police goes, we’re not sure but we can say the the legal age of majority in most states (most being the key word) is 18. If you leave home before then with out permission, your folks might make a runaway report which will most likely have police keeping an eye out for you. We’re not sure how much they actually look for runaways, but it is considered illegal to house a runaway in a home.

If you’d like to explore this situation some more and talk about what options or resources are available to you, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Best,
            NRS

Comment

• Maddysatty

I want to runaway so bad constantly people call me fat an ugly and I just can't take it anymore i try not to tell my parents because I already tried to kill myself this year and I don't want them invoked in anything but I really don't want to. Hve to deal with the police I just want to be alone but I have nowhere to go to be alone

Comment

• ccsmod4
                Super Moderator
                • May 2007

Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? What can Happen

Hello,
                Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
                Reaching out for help can be a difficult decision to make for many, good for you in doing so with your post at www.1800Runaway.org

It is unfair for anyone to taunt or say mean things to another,
                You don’t deserve to be treated this way by anyone.
                You cannot control what others do they are accountable; you are not at fault for what others choose to do. We do understand how this type of behavior could affect the way someone might feel.
                It sounds like you had an experience with a suicide attempt this year, you seem concerned about your parent’s reaction to your having a difficult time. How are you doing? Sometimes it can help to read, listen to music or even talk to someone. Does that make sense? It’s very thoughtful of you to want to protect them and it is also very good that you are trying to take care of yourself and find other options and or resources to help you cope with the situation at hand. You deserve fair treatment and should be able to feel comfortable in your environments.

We respect what you have gone through and commend your efforts to feel better. It must have been a tough battle and we certainly understand your feelings. Have you tried counseling? We would like to know how we might be of any help to providing services to you.
                NRS is available 24hrs at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) - www.1800Runaway.org to discuss options and try to provide you with information and possible referrals to resources in your area. NRS live chat is available 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) through the NRS website.

The National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-Talk (8255)24hrs is available if you are having thoughts of suicide.

We hope that you feel better and continue to strive for positive outlets to cope with your situation.
                Take Care,
                NRS

Comment

• Unregistered

idk what to do anymore ..!

here's my story... so i love bands and stuff. but my parents are Christian . so when they found out I loved bands they took everything away from me . i posted bands on my instagram. they found that. i had 2k followers. they deleted it. so i'm starting to cut because i blame everything on myself. i want to move somewhere were i can play whatever music i want . i need someplace that won't hurt me on the inside. i was literally grounded from talking to my sisters. i am stuck in my room . btw i'm 14 .. i need a home that will actually help me stop cutting. my dad just got angry at me for cutting. please. help.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2007

Re: idk what to do anymore ..!

Hey,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re going through an intense time sand seeking some kind of support.

We’re sorry to hear about how your parents have been treating you and how that’s caused you to cut and self harm. Does anyone know about the cutting? Do you think it’ll be good to talk to anyone about that? Sometimes trying to find good, trustworthy people is a good way to start dealing with this situation.

So from what we’ve gathered is that you’re looking for a safe place to go. We may be able to provide some services but we’d need to know your age, city and state to search for those. If you do go to a shelter do you think your parents would file a runaway report? That’s something to consider if you do leave home because the shelters would require parent permission for you to stay there.

If you’d like to explore this some more, you can call in and we can establish a plan of action with you. Please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. Please call us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Best,
                    NRS

Comment

• Unregistered

I have just turned 17 in December my father has full custody of me and my little sister I am currently starting online school to make up for past credits and further credits I do not want to get a job so I can focus on graduating I do not want to love with my mother because I love her but not her lifestyle but my father is on drugs, treats me like I am 7 ( I have I be home at 6:30 at the latest, I can't watch any teenage movies basically, he shakes all the time, his mood swings are crazy, he is crazy I am pretty sure considering his brother is literally mental an has to take pills and the state pays for him to live, and my dad gets violent towards me and my little sister. I do not want my dad to loose his house or get him in any trouble of any sort I want to get away peacefully, but I know that is not possible. I would like for my boyfriend and I to get our own place and get custody of my little sister. How can I get myself out of here along with my sister without involving child services? I do not under any circumstances want my 14 year old sister in a foster home neither I.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2007

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things have been pretty rough for you and your little sister. It sounds like you care a lot about your sister and would like to obtain custody after you move out. Doing so may be difficult but it may not be impossible. Since we do not have a legal background, we cannot provide legal advice. However we can provide legal resources that may be able to help. It sounds like you are still in school and may possibly graduate this year. It sounds like you do not feel like you’re living in a safe and stable home with your father. It seems that moving in with your mother isn’t an option. Are there any other relatives that you can live with? Determining if you can legally move out at the age of 17 will depend on the city and state you reside in. Emancipation may also be an alternative option to legally moving out and this too will depend on the state you reside in.

The options that are available may depend largely on the state that you live in. Are you able to give us a call? We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, anonymous, and available 24/7. We can discuss your situation in more depth, possible options, and provide resources.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes
                        ~NRS

Comment

• Unregistered

My name is J I'm 14 and live in Idaho I hate my life I just want to get away. My mom sits there and drinks and smokes weed with me we've had cps called on us multiple times and where I live is a disaster when I was 6 my uncle would rape me everyday my mom went to work it took me a year to finally get enough courage to tell her. We almost never have food and I don't think are house has ever been all the way clean. My mom has done meth in the past but I think she still does it but she just denies it. The other day are moms friend was messing around and his meth flung out of his hand and landed right in my sisters lap. My mom has slapped me in the face during fights that we have and one time she was going to throw the laptop at my head but then my sister N stopped her but then my mom pushed N and the my mom said ow to make it look like N did something wrong. I have two sisters that I love so very much but I don't know what to do. My sister N and I have the same dad but T has a different one. I want my sisters and I to get taken by cps but I don't want to go to a bad family or get split up. I would do anything for them. I love my stepdad and last year he was struggling with meth addiction and it got so bad he would threaten to kill my mom and he would beat her up, he is not a very good person when he's using but when he's clean he's a very good person. My mom didn't even care enough to get the papers to register us into school so I went and got the papers I filled them out and just had to get her signature and we were signed up. But I do k12 now because I was being sexually harassed. Last year a friend of my sisters dad got shot in our neighborhood I felt so bad. The guy that shot my sisters friends dad was the same guy who was shooting at my moms van in a car chase. Sometimes my mom will be out forever so I'll stay up waiting for her tell like 3, 4, or 5 in the morning and then when she finally comes back she'll yell at me for staying up. I've attempted to take my life but I can't because I don't want to leave my sisters all alone, and I'm pretty sure my mom is cheating on my stepdad with his brother but I love both my stepdad and my uncle (this is a different uncle not the one who raped me). What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2007

RE: is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? What can happen?

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have really been through a lot! Nobody deserves to be abused, neglected or made to feel unsafe in their own home. Contacting the Rape Abuse Incest National Network or RAINN at 1-800-656-4673 may be able to help you with regards to the past sexual abuse from your uncle. It also sounds like there is some severe neglect and abuse in the home and that Child Protective Services is not helping you. If you are still in school, a trusted teacher or counselor may be able to help you contact them again.

We are glad to hear your sisters are very supportive of each other. It can make a big difference having someone you trust support and care for you. You also mentioned there has been violence and drug abuse in the home. You can always call the police if you feel you are in danger or go to a safe place. If you need to get away with your sisters temporarily www.nationalsafeplace.org has a list of all safe places in the US you could go to. The Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 may be able to help you come up with a safety plan the next time your dad is abusing your mom.

You also mentioned that you have been thinking about hurting yourself. The National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK is a good resource to reach out to as well. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we cannot tell you what you should or should not do. We would like to talk to you to help you come up with a plan for what to do next and how to get you and your sisters out of there safely. Please call us at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS

Comment

I want to run away but im only 14.

Ever since i was little, my punishments would always be extreme. When i was 7 my dad beat me so much my but turned black and i had to take a bath in ice. He beat me for like 2 hours strait. My dad is always the one who is trying to hut me or just does hit me. My mom never does anything about it. Once before my dad used to push my up again walls in the house, and he even slapped me in the face. Recently for the past week, my dad has been screaming and yelling at me and walking me in corners. So two days ago, i started cutting myself. I cut yesterday and today. My dad even tried to hit me today so i grabbed a vase for protection. He grabbed the vase out of my hands and thew it on the table. He has also been calling me names such as a stupid little girl and saying rude remarks like he owns me and my feelings dont matter. Once before i said i was going to kill myself, so he gave me a knife and said do it. While all this is going on, my mom isnt doing a thing. She just stands back and watches or even sometimes tries to be just as mean. I dont know what to do, my friend tells me not to cut. Ive called the cops on him once before but he told them a lie saying he was only punishing me so they left, and nothing happened. Being mistreated and crying has been happening to me since i was about 7 and i dont want to deal with this anymore. Im scared to fight back and i need help but i dont want to not complete school. I still need to finish high school. I dont know if i can take it another 4 years. Its becoming to the point where im being mistreated on a weekly, almost daily basis. I need help, i need someone to hep me. I live in East Point, Georgia. I dont want to run away and be charged or get caught and my dad tells another lie to the cops and i get stuck with him again. See he isnt even my dad, he is my grandfather. MY mom died when i was just a newborn, and my biological father hasnt been around since, so they adopted me and raised me. But although he may be old, he is violent, mean, and much more. I wouldnt say he has ever physically abused me since i was younger, but he does hit me from time to time, or get in my face yelling at me, cursing me calling me dumb and stupid. I know this passage is really long, but its all true, and i need help. Please help me?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X