Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Away

I have had multiple problems with my parents ever since I was a baby. Whenever I did something wrong, I would be beaten and told to change. I grew up in a bad side of town and that didn't help me one bit. I grew up afraid of my parents and now they think it's all my fault for being like this. I try again and again to change but everytime I do, I just end up with them yelling at me and threatening me. My dad grabbed a fork and threatened to stab me and today they found out I had my bf over because he forgot something at my house. I got it, then he left. My dad thought we were doing something else and grabbed an icecream scoop and held it dangerously close to my eye. He said he'd stab me if I said anything. I was tempted so hard to grab the knife that my parents had hidden and stab myself. I call suicide prevention at least 20 times a week and my dad said if I do it again he'll make sure nothing comes out my mouth by making my last breath leave me forever. I never called since but I've told by guidence councelor about what happened. I even had evidence to back it up and when he brought in my dad in my dad lied about everything. He told him it was a lie, brought me home and beat me. I want to just run away but since I'm 13, will they take me away from the area? I live in Greenfield, Wisconsin and I dont want to leave my best friends and my boyfriend behind.

Comment

• Re: Running Away

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at NRS. It sounds like you feel your parents have mistreated you. From what you shared, it seems you have experienced a lot of difficulties within your family. It sounds quite scary to be threatened and harmed by a parent. We are sorry you have been harmed. You don’t deserve to be mistreated that way. You have the right to report any mistreatment you feel is happening. If you wanted help filing a report you can call us here at 1-800-786-2929 or learn more about reporting from Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453, www.childhel.com. From what you mentioned, it sounds like everything is overwhelming and you may have even thought about taking your own life. If the thoughts become too strong or out of control, we encourage you to seek help from a trust friend or adult or by even calling 911 or utilizing emergency services.
      Regarding leaving and/or being taken away, we are not certain, but we can help explore this with you and find the answer. If you are able to call our crisis line or chat in, we’d be happy to provide you with support and resources.
      Hope you reach out soon. Please be safe and take care.
      Best,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• tired of this place

I'm tired of living with my aunt yesterday I got caught sneaking out and I'm 14 and she called the police on me and I wanna runaway so bad and live with my friend ....please help

Comment

• Re: tired of this place

Hello,

We’re glad you found us online and decided to make use of our forum. It sounds like things aren’t working out so well with your aunt and you’re seriously considering running away to live with a friend. Having her call the police on you for sneaking out sounds like it would be stressful. Please know we aren’t here to tell you whether to run or not, but we do care about your safety. We can also discuss pros and cons to running if you’d like. Another resource you might find helpful is National Safe Place http://nationalsafeplace.org/. Hopefully this responses gives you a start and we wish you the best of luck!
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• runwaway

Hi im 16 Yrs old...an on feb 7 th on sunday i over dosed on two whole bottels on tylonel an was in the hospital for a whole week in iowa city i was in rock island but they transferd me to iowa city jus in case i needed liver transplant from all the posion i digested in 2015 i use to over dose alot sumtimes on iphrophen or sleeping pills i was in alot of stress....me an my boyfriend broke up by my parents choice on valentines day ...he dates some one else now yet we never stopped texying each other ever since we even sneak off to see each other we still love each other .....ive
            Been through alot. Tho the reason i over dosed so many times back then was because he called me names an treated me like i was nun it was the worst pain ever yet he acts like he love me then the next he doesnt act like he love me at all...right now i do feel like running away im really tired of all this bullcrap on love yea i still love him but it feels so painful to love him an to get over him. Cause i love him soo much. Yet hes with sumone but stil text me everyday an flirts with me an says he loves me....i really think sumthin bad is gonna happen. To me ...wat will happen if i runaway without telling anyone but a friend.

Comment

• Re: runwaway

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and share your story. We’re really glad that you did, we’re here to support you.

You mentioned that you have had several suicide attempts. This is a really serious thing to have considered and tried and we’re really glad that you got the help you needed and are safe now. We want you to have the National Suicide Hotline information for any time in the future that you may need to reach out for help, (800) 273 TALK (8255).

We cannot tell you what you should or should not do, because you know your situation better than we do. It sounds like you are really going through a difficult time lately with your ex-boyfriend. Clearly you still care a lot about him and it has to be really hard to see him with someone else. Sometimes it can be helpful to talk through things with somebody else, maybe someone who is unbiased- doesn’t know either of you or much about the situation. That could either be a counselor, a teacher, maybe a family friend. We’re here to talk too, anytime and we are confidential at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929).

We want to help keep you safe. There are a few things that can be really helpful to try to think through when deciding whether or not to run away from home:

Do I have a place to stay?
              What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
              Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
              What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
              Who can I depend on if I leave home?
              Do I have a safe, solid plan?
              What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work?
              What have I done to make things better at home?
              What can I do to make things better at home?
              Who have I reached out to make things better at home?

Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us to talk more. We’re here to help you the best that we can 24/7 at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929).

Best of luck,
              NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• I don't know what to do I'm so stressed about everything and I'm not good with pressure not at all I've been feeling very panicky at the moment and none of my friends are helping in fact there part of the problem and sometimes I would love to just go one day without seeing any of them or texting any of them and I want to run away because I don't want to face growing up and going through the pressure and I'm only through my first year o school and I'm already getting panicky and half the adults I know 'love' to mention the fact that life gets harder the older u get, my sister is on her last year and she didn't pass so she'll have to redo and my parents are now putting pressure on me to be the star child and get perfect grades but I'm not the person to get good grades I'm the person to get the complete opposite and I don't know I really don't know what to do anymore, please help me

Comment

• Re:

Hello there,
                  Thank you for reaching out to us today. We understand it takes courage to be able to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing some of your situation with us. It sounds like you’re feeling stressed and unsure of what to do. It is understandable that you are feeling these things. You mentioned feeling pressured from your parents, and we know that can be a really difficult situation to be in. You also mentioned feeling like your friends aren’t helping your situation either. We want you to know that we are here to support you as best as possible through this challenging time.

You mentioned wanting to run away and asked what can happen if you do run away. While running away is not illegal, it is a status offense. This means if you were to run away, your parents could file a runaway report and the police could pick you up and bring you back home. We are not legal experts, so we cannot guarantee how the police in your exact area would respond.

If you are planning on running away, you might want to consider how you would survive and provide for yourself financially. It sounds like you want help on figuring out what to do, and while we cannot tell you what to do, we can provide you with options. If you would like us to explore these options with you, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We understand your frustration and want to be able to help you as best as we can. We hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care,
                  NRS

Comment

• I'm "leaving" not running away

I'm not running away I love my family it's just it's were we live I can't stand t bought a bus ticket to New York I want to pursue my dreams of being an entrepreneur and pilot but I can't do it here I'm sick of learning chalk and talk way I dont want to wait till I'm 30 just got out of college and just now starting my business no! I want to start learning before I'm 18 people tell me be glad I'm 14 and I am but I'm not like other kids I want to learn how to do taxes start a business drive a car fly a plane engineering how stocks work how the world around me works! Not sitting in a desk studying the anatomy of a frog then taking a test and forgetting it all the next day that's not how I want to learn so people who say running away Is bad it's not all I'm doing is pursuing my dreams at a young age because I don't want to wait any longer even if I miss school it won't bother me because I will never let my schooling interfere with my education

Comment

• re: I'm "leaving" not running away

Hey there,

Thank you for contacting us. It seems that you are 14 years old and want to leave and go to New York instead of living where you are currently. We recognize that you would like to become independent and start learning about the world on your own. However, as long are you are under the age of 18 and you leave without parent permission, you would be considered a runaway.

Just to let you know, we aren’t legal experts so this information isn’t 100% for certain. But, in general, being under 18 you would be considered a minor in most states. So if your family files a runaway report for you there is potential that you would be taken back home if you come in contact with the police. They may also actively look for you, if they are aware of your location. Also, there is a chance that if you are staying with another adult, that they could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway. The consequences for that can range from fines, to jail time. If you are considering running away, you may want to consider how you would survive if you left. It is also a good idea to think of a backup plan in case your initial plans don’t work out.

Best,
                      NRS

Comment

• Re: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Hi! I always got told when I tried to run away that my mom would call the cops and they will take me to JJC. So I believe that you will get taken to JJC.

Comment

• Re: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Hello,
                          Thanks for posting on the forum! We’re always glad to hear what others have experienced and it is helpful to share this information with anyone that might be experiencing the same situation. Although your mother could very well be correct, it is hard to say if this would be the case everywhere in the county. Runaway laws tend to vary from place to place in the United States, often it can even vary from police district to police district.
                          We are not legal experts here. As we understand it running away isn’t illegal, it’s what you call a “status offense” which means your legal guardians can file a runaway report with the police to try to get you returned home. We also know that if someone frequently runs away from home, eventually the juvenile court could intervene. What that means also depends on the state you’re in and the laws surrounding runaways. If anyone is curious about what could specifically happen to them, please consider calling your local police non-emergency phone number and asking them. If you’re uncomfortable doing that yourself, if you called in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we’d be happy to help you with that.
                          Thanks again!
                          NRS

Comment

• Im 16 and wanting to runway

Well recently I have been forced to move in with my Nana in Jacksonville. But I was living in Ga with my boyfriend for a year, and now I want to run away to go back. I know I couldn't go to his house, but if I were to would I still be able to attend school or would that get me caught and what would happen if I did get caught. Because I will keep on running away to different places.

Comment

• RE: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Hello,
                              Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are thinking about running away and leaving the state but would like to still attend school.
                              There have been cases where runaway/homeless youth are able to attend school.

We can’t say that you would not have issues with being discovered.
                              In most cases when a minor has been reported as a runaway and picked up by the police they can be returned home.
                              To get more information about continuing your education as a runaway you might consider contacting the school district or school you hope to enroll in and asking about the runaway/homeless student act. Each school has a homeless student liaison that is there to assist students who have either run away, homeless or both.
                              Does that make sense?

You are welcome to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org (live chat) to learn more about the Runaway/Homeless Student Act.

Take care,
                              NRS

Comment

• Hi, I'm 13 and I want to be free. I love my mom. But she is too controlling. Last night I went over a friends house and did not come back till 10 in te morning. My mom called the cops and reported me as a runway. When I got wifi. I had about 8 messages from my friends that my mom knew. The messages where all about gettig my a** home and that my mom said I was a runway. I can't stand being in the house Im leaving in. I like being out side and with people that make me feel happy. And then when I come home, I feel trap and depressed. When I come home, I come home to sleep, eat and take a shower. I DONT LIKE BEING HOME!!!! My mom says that she is worried something is going to happen. Im just scared to let her know who I been hanging out with cause they are like 15, 16. I'm way more mature then what a 13 year old is. I think I'm fine out and about with my friends. My mom came to her sinces and put my curfew to midnight. And sometimes I stay out little later. But when I don't come home. She asks me where have a been and who I was with. And then I say that I was around and alone. I love my mom. But I hate being controlled!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X