Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Re: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feelings. Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible on the forum thread, it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Is it illegal to runaway when you're 13? what can happen?

I need help. I have friends but they're never around. my parents don't think about how I feel and say random stuff that is mentally abusing me every day. mental and/or emotional abuse is technically illegal but I can't call them out on it or my mom will try and prove me wrong because she thinks I think I'm better and smarter than her when I actually think that I have no talent, I'm stupid and that I deserve to die. I've thought of running away and I've thought of committing suicide. I have weird thoughts about when I was ten and every single time I tried to do something good it always went wrong and I always ended up getting yelled at. I feel like my mom and dad hate me. I've been diagnosed with ADHD and psychopathy but my parents don't seem to care, they've never gotten medication for ADHD and they've never tried to comfort me about anything that I can remember. when the family pet died, my mom yelled at me saying that I killed it when it was my dad's responsibility to take care of it. I feel like what I do goes wrong and I just want to die. I need counseling but my parents don't seem to care.

Comment

• Re: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Hey there,
        We know that reaching out for help can be a little scary sometimes but we are so glad you decided to reach out to us. We are here to listen and help you the best way we can. From what you’ve told me there seems to be some emotional and verbal abuse going on at home. Experiencing this regularly can be stressful and draining to anyone so you’re feelings are valid. We hope that you know that you deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. We would also like to add that you are a very special and important person in this world. Taking the steps to reach out for help just shows how brave you are.
        A main concern that you shared with us was dealing with the tension and verbal abuse of your parents. An option you have is confronting your parents about your feelings. Sometimes talking with parents about your feelings can be difficult and intimidating, but having mediator with conversations like these can help. We provide a conference call service which basically involves us calling a parent, letting them know who we are and then proceed with a conversation where both sides of the call are heard and respected. You mentioned that you have been denied speaking to a therapist or counselor. This can be something we can talk through with your parents and possibly try to find some counseling in your area. Reaching out to school counselor can be a great resource for support if you’re ever feeling alone. Sometimes in these situations getting involved in your favorite hobbies or passions can help with coping. Music, sports, reading or clubs can may allow the mind to drift from these negative places that other’s hurtful words can leave us in. Sharing with us your past suicidal thoughts was very brave of you. When it comes to thoughts and feelings like this you are definitely not alone. If you should ever feel this way again you could always give the Nation Suicide Hotline a ring at 1800-273-TALK.

Thanks so much for opening up to us. We hope that we have helped in some way. If you are interested in any of the following or just talk further about the situation feel free to give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY. Stay strong and positive!

Best,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• Mexico?

So I'm not some emo **** tryna get attention and gettin in trouble for bands and ********. I'm just tryna leave. "Why?" You ask. Well because forget the world I want some freedom. The freedom I never had. Isn't that why the old heads are run always too? Cause they just said forget it and left? But anyways I believe there is a better life for me outside of here. I feel like I can make it. So adiose amigos and hola to Mexico.
          Last edited by ccsmod10; 04-30-2016, 07:07 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Comment

• Re: Mexico?

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway . It is a great first step to finding the information and help that you may need. Taking this step often takes much courage, which shows how strong of a person you in doing so. You are so strong for having gone through so much already.

We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home. However, being so close to some districts handle these reports differently by possibly no actively searching for youth. You could find this out by calling your local police district’s non-emergency number. You would not have to give them specific information. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could call on your behalf.

It sounds like you have thought about this plan that you feel is best for you. Some things to consider is what will you do when you arrive in Mexico. How will you find a safe place to stay. Some other things to think about for the future if you will continue your education at some point. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan?

If you would like to talk more about a safety plan or just talk in general. We are here to listen and help as best as we can.

Best Wishes,
            NRS

Comment

• I want to run away so bad. I'm so done. With everything. But if be grounded for so long. What could happen

Comment

• RE:

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway . It is a great first step to finding the information and help that you may need. Taking this step often takes much courage, which shows how strong of a person you in doing so. You are so strong for having gone through so much already.

You mentioned considering the option of running away, Some things to think about for the future if you will continue your education at some point. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan? We could also help find some possible shelters in your area if you need another safe place to stay. However, sometimes this option may mean at some point ask for parental consent /check if a runaway report is filed and the time of stay is not typically long term. If you call us at 1800-RUNAWAY we could call out to these shelters for you or with you in advance to check on these aspects.
                We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report.

If there is some way that could try to support you in anyway. Remember that we are here to listen and help as best as we can. You are not alone!

Stay Strong,
                NRS

Comment

• Can I runaway to my dad in Oregon?

I live with my mom & step dad in Tucson,AZ. I want to go live with my dad in Oregon. He keeps saying that I can then something always seems to come up. He still has his parental rights. My mom is so sick of my crap that she's more than willing to let me go live with him. I don't clean my room or do chores and have been arrested for hitting my mom and then my younger brother. I hate it here so why should I have to stay? Nothing is ever good enough for them! I go to counseling and we have this mental health place that does home visits and I see a doctor but who cares nothing is working and no one at home can get along with me.

If I find a way to Oregon and land on my dads door step wouldent he have to take me in? I don't want to live with my mom and she wants me out just as bad. Always lets me stay at friends house because she said when I'm home we just yell and I make messes that's it safe for the entire family when I'm not home.

If my mom don't want me is there any way to MAKE MY DAD TAKE ME? He's in Medford Oregon where I was born and raised. I miss my friends up there too.

Comment

• re: Can I runaway to my dad in Oregon?

Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible on the forum thread, it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day through our website at 1800runaway.org). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.

Comment

Originally posted by ;1504
                      most the boards on here I looked at don't answer this question
                      they just talk about why they want to and all that.. I just want to know what will happen to me if I get caught
                      here's the situation
                      I haven't seen my dad in 4 years, since I was 10. I live with my "mom" and her.. Kevin. I got kicked out of school and I'm not about to go back for reasons I don't feel like saying because it would just take me forever to explain all the way and I don't believe if I did anybody would understand. It's my account so nobody else will understand but me. I haven't been to school for more then a year. I got expelled last year. For not going. And passing a note saying that I hated everybody in the school and wanted to kill them, and telling this one girl I was gonna kill her. I'm not messing, my step-dad, that's Kevin, has literilly 30 cats in this small house. And then there's 4 dogs. It's a big mess and nobody takes care of it. IT'S DISGUSTING! I HATE MY MOM AND I HAVE FOR A LONG TIME. All of my "friends" left me behind a long time ago, but they were never there anyways. Nobody was ever there. So my "mom" doesn't even talk to me. I literally haven't had a conversation with anybody in about a year. Kevin threw me out of my house at 10 at night when my mom was in Washington (we live in Indiana) because her mom was dying. I went to my aunts. And I had to fight her to let me stay there. He calls me a "worthless" [edited for language] and then there's his lovely cats. And my "mom" doesn't do a damn thing about it.
                      And then there's more. I think I'm literally going crazy. And it's scaring me. Things have been happening to me since I was very little. I spend all day everyday literally going into my own little world in my head. I have friends there and a family that loves me. And then I cry the rest of the day because it's not real. Nobody cares about me and I don't care about anybody.
                      I'm starting to have flash backs from when I was a child (like, 5 or 6?) and they make me cry and there's thoughts that I can't get out of my head. My dad's friends.. did things to me when I was little. And now EVERYTHING is coming back to me. AND I HAVE NOBODY TO TALK TO ABOUT IT AND NOBODY CARES.
                      Mom expects me to do homeschooling, k12.com
                      I can't do it. I can't do hours of it everyday. She says I have to do something. I'm having a hard enough time just staying alive and it all seems so hopeless. I have broke down and cried in front of my mom and begged her to do something many times and she does nothing. And now I'm getting worse. I'm drifting in and out. Like, I'm not here anymore half the time, and nobody even knows or cares. I haven't left this house in god knows how long. I LITERALLY HAVEN'T TALKED TO ANYBODY IN 11 MONTHS. [edited for content].
                      I HAVE TO GET AWAY.
                      You are not going crazyalso call animal controls about the cats

Comment

• Reply: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Hi,

Thank you for responding to this post.
                        Please remember to contact the National Runaway Safeline should you need information or have any questions about our services.

Take care,
                        NRS

Comment

Originally posted by ccsmod2 View Post
                          Thanks so much for contacting us. It sounds like a very frustrating situation. If you feel that talking with your parents and explaining to them how you do not appreciate or deserve verbal abusive will not be an effective solution, you do have some options. It is great that you have other places where you could live and feel more supported.

What might happen if you run away without your parent’s knowledge is that they could file a runaway report with the police. What this means is that if they know where you are, they may be able to have the police pick you up and charge you with a status offense since you are under the age of 18. If your parents don’t know where you would be staying then the only way the police would be able to find you is if you got picked up by them for another reason and they looked you up in their system. Depending on the State you are living in the people who you go to stay with may get in trouble if the police find out they are helping a runaway. That really does depend on the State though, so if you would feel comfortable telling us which State you are from and which State you are thinking about running away to we can look that up for you. Unfortunately we don’t have a legal background, but we can look up as much information as our resources provide us with and let you know what we find. This can be a very overwhelming process, and a lot to think about so just know that we are here for you.

If you think that there is a chance that if you had help talking to your parents they might listen and change how they have been speaking to you then there are a few options there as well. First, if there is an adult that you trust to support you and be with you when you talk with your parents this could be a great resource. You could plan out with them what you want to say, how to word it, and then figure out with them how they could mediate the conversation so that your parents really heard what you need to say to them and understand where you are coming from. Another resource is of course us. We do conference calls where we talk with you on the phone and get the whole story from you, and then work out how to talk about it with your parents. Then we would call your parents, hear how they felt about the whole situation, and bring you both on the line at the same time so that you could talk to each other with us there to mediate the call. We would serve to make sure that your parents don’t yell at you while you told them how you feel, and try to help you make them understand your point of view. Our conference call service is a lot like that first option of working with an adult, but it is over the phone with us instead.

This is a lot to think about, but we hope that it helps you work through what you’d like to do. Feel free to write us back if you have any more questions, or you can give us a call. We are available 24/7 and are completely anonymous and confidential. Good luck!

~NRS
                          I'm from New York and headed to Washington is it possible for you to look that up?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                            I'm from New York and headed to Washington is it possible for you to look that up?
                            Hi there,

Thank you for writing on the forums here at NRS. We would be happy to look up any information that we can. We are not sure the exact information you are looking for, but if you called/chatted/emailed us with more specifics on what you would like some information on, we will provide that to you.

Our phone number is toll-free and 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); chat is available through www.1800runaway.org (click on chat); email is [email protected].

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

NRS

Comment

• Runaway

On Monday my brother literally beat the s**t outta me again . But this time I didn't have to go to the hospital . Neither one of my parents have ever done anything about it . My so called "Mother" does not like me and has told me she wish I was the twin that died 😪 she verbally abuses me everyday sometimes it gets physical . She lies to people around the town about me saying I'm a horrible person and what not . Well today this is what happened "So First it started earlier today she was like Come on we're going to J and. A's so I'm putting Z in the car and I see that B has all his stuff in the back floor where I'm supposed to sit . So she picks it up out of the floor and puts it in the seat so I have no where to sit . So I get in and Put the stuff in the floor and she starts yelling at me not to touch his stuff. And I'm sitting next to Z and she smacks me in my eye where B hit me so I tapped her back and she did her fake cry and C was Like Omg what's wrong . What did she do and Z told her and she starts yelling at me to Keep my "f******" hands to my self and I was like Lol tell that to your son . And she starts yelling at me to Get the F out of her car over and over . So I get out and I went to go in the house and it's lock and I have no key and they pull off . So I walked around Hagerstown all day . Well just a little ago I'm down stairs trying to find anything to eat and My dad was like B Have you seen your mothers charger and I was like No but of course you would ask me and I come up stairs and she Stomps into my Room Ands like Give me my F-Ing charger and I was Like I DONT HAVE IT I HAVE THE ONE MY FATHER BOUGHT ME . And she starts calling me a f****** b**** And a thief And a B**** over and over so I said it back to her and she comes stomping back into my room and Smacks me so I push her off of me and she Goes and tells my dad that I'm assaulting her and We just kept yelling back and Forth " this is what I sent my grandma but she didn't really care . Ive told my father that I will no longer be staying in this house with her living here . I'm tired of everything . Ive tried killing myself Multiple times but it won't work . Ive hung myself in my closet about 5 times and I never seem to f****** die . Ive tired Over dosing on pills but that never worked neither and I tired cutting myself but no luck . I just want to leave . My future is already Screwed so I have no point to life anymore .

Comment

• re: runaway

Hey there,

It seems that you are considering committing suicide because of your situation at home with your mom and siblings. That sounds like it has been a very stressful household environment for you. If you are feeling that way and need help, please reach out to the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. It doesn't seem like any reconciliation with your family would be successful for you right now. It is understandable that you want to leave. But there is always the chance that you could be made to go back home if you do. If you need further assistance we strongly recommend calling or chatting with us. We will do our best to help.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X