Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i have to go home if my parents say so but they are abusive to a piont?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. Asking for help is really brave and takes a lot of strength. Home is supposed to be somewhere safe and you deserve to feel supported. Abuse of any kind is not okay and it is never your fault. Your safety is very important to us and we are available 24/7 to listen and help.

Generally speaking, you do have to return home if you are under the age of 18. Until you turn 18, if you leave without permission your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. You would not be arrested or charged with a crime, but police will likely return you home.

Your parents are supposed to make you feel comfortable at home and from what you shared they are not doing that. One option that you do have is to report the issues at home. A child abuse report can get a social worker involved to help. This can be a scary decision to make and you do not need to make it alone. If you want to know more about the reporting process or you would like to start the report, you can call the national child abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or go to https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/. Additionally we are here by phone and chat 24/7 to listen and help.

We truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time. Do not hesitate to reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services on the website homepage to talk more about your situation.

Be safe,
      NRS

• My friend ran away yesterday first day of Dec, he would usually talk about how his mom would yell at him and hurt him... I’ve been through that and can’t stand to hear him upset so I insisted to stay up all night with him. two days ago before he ran away... I made him laugh and tried to help him think positive bc letting yourself down is just terrible..so yesterday before he ran away, in the morning for my church service we hangout in what was called a bonus room, my friend Seemed to be happy but didn’t mention anything about running away or being sad/ depressed in fact he seemed to be perfectly fine and I’m really good at knowing whether people are OK or not btw but when 2nd Service came around apparently I had to leave and didn’t get to go to second service because my parents had a change of plans. Before I left I gave my Friend a hug but I couldn’t help but feel like I should’ve gave him a 2nd hug... when I arrived to my house I took a nap woke up and when to my nana’s at 8pm I got a call from my dad while I was drawing and jamming out with my papaw, it was my dad, I wondered why he was asking about my friend And being my stubborn self I asked “why ask these miss serious questions, is my friend OK?” My dad finally told me he ran away... and apparently it hasn’t been his first time doing so... apparently something happened at his place and he finally ran away again...so now I’m wondering what would happen at the age of 14 if you ran away a 2nd time? Would my friend be sent to a mental place? Will he be ok? Or will the cops ask his mother questions on why this is his 2nd time running away? I’m hoping for his safety and that he doesn’t get in trouble

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Your friend is lucky to have someone who cares about him so much. It sounds like you're really worried about him. It might be a good idea to talk to your parents about what he told you about his mom yelling at him and hurting him. That is what the police would consider abuse and something they would want to know. If they did find him, they would bring him back home to his parents. He would not be arrested, but he may be in trouble with his parents when he gets home. The police are just concerned about his safety.

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.

Take care,
      NRS

• Hi I almost got in trouble with the law and my mom doesn't understand nothing I say everything I say she repeats and tells my dad. And my dad just threatens to punch me in the face everytime something happens, Im 15 and I live in Georgia is it illegal for me to runaway and what would happen to me if I were to

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do.

Now as you have read in other replies or threads that we aren't legal experts here so we can only offer you general knowledge of the runaway laws and what might happen if you were caught. We have answered that question multiple times throughout this thread, so we would advise you to look back for those answers. If you have additional questions, please reach out to us via phone and/or online chat.

Best of luck!

• My parents beat me up with a stick, and abuse me with their words. Sometimes, I do absolutely nothing and I will get hit. Every day, I feel like running away, or doing something. They've been giving me everything, but since I have turned 13, my parents have been treating me like absolute s***.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear about the inappropriate and abusive way that your parents have been treating you. It is extremely not okay for them to beat you up or verbally abuse you. Everyone deserves to be treated with love and respect in their own home and you are no exception. It might be in your interest to consider reporting what is going on. If you are interested in learning more about that process or what could come of it, please reach out to the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. If you ever feel in immediate danger, it might also be worth thinking about calling the police. If you need somewhere to go immediately, you can go to nationalsafeplace.org in order to find the nearest National Safe Place that may be able to take you in. You also may want to consider asking a friend if you can stay at their house if you feel unsafe at home if possible. If you are unsure about how to proceed or if you want to talk about what other options you may have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X