Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?

Hi there and thanks for reaching out on our forum.

It sounds like you’re feeling controlled by your mom and you wish you had more freedom about spending time with your friends. You deserve to feel happy and it sounds like you feel happiest with your friends. Please know we are not here to judge you and simply care about your safety. If you’d like to brainstorm alternatives to home such as other family members, shelter, etc. we can discuss those with you. We can also talk about challenges you may face as a 13 year-old on the run, should you decide to run away again. We encourage you to try out our Live Chat which opens today starting at 4:30pm CST.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Im running away

Hi ive been thinking of runnin away for a very lomg time i was sent to live with some of my dads family cuz i got cuaght up in drugs and gangs but i cant stay here any more its drivin me crazy what can happen if i run away

Comment

• Re: Im running away

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now. You mentioned being sent to stay with your dad's family because of some things you got caught up in. You're now feeling quite overwhelmed in your currnt situation. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Take care,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• What would happen if I ran away with my friend?

So, me and my friend want to run away because of some reasons going around in our own family and she isn't afraid to run . But I am. We were thinking of running away to stay in a forest by I feel that there is a 70% chance that we will get caught and also my mum is going to court to try and get full custody of me and my sisters because my dad was abusive emotionally and mentally. But I somehow feel like he would win the case because he knows people and he will end up having full custody of us. And I don't want any of that. I really want to run away but I'm scared my sisters and my mum would miss me. And if the police found me, would they tell my father? And could he use that against the case and say my mum is not responsible enough? My friend's father is also very abusive with words towards her, and her mom constantly wishes she was dead, but that's because her mum is a bit off her head. She told me this guy who knew black magic asked a spirit to posses her and now she's like this. We tried to commit suicide once by eating rat poison but it didn't work. Can someone give me advice?

Comment

• RE: What would happen if I ran away with my friend?

Hello there,
            We’re so sorry to hear about what’s been going on at home. It sounds like there’s a lot happening. We want to tell you how brave you are for posting on our forum today. Asking for help can be really hard to do.
            It sounds like you have a lot of reservations about running away. Running off to live in the forest may seem like an escape from everyday problems, but it might also create new ones that you didn’t anticipate. Your safety is the most important thing to us. If you are seriously considering running, please consider calling us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or using our Live Chat service right here on this website. We’d be able to go over your plan and let you know what doesn’t sound safe and what options you might have available to you.
            If you ran away and the police were called to return you home, it sounds like your father might be the person that would call. That is, if you live with him currently. It sounds like he is likely to get word of your disappearance. We can’t guarantee, since you’re the most familiar with your own situation, but it sounds he’d likely find out. We’re not legal experts here, but what you said about your father manipulating the event of you running away in his favor for full custody might have some truth to it.
            It sounds like your friend is also going through a lot. If you think she’d respond, please let her know that she’s welcome to contact us too. It sounds like she has things going on at home that are similar to your situation.
            It sounds like the two of you are really close. We’re so sorry that you decided to commit suicide together. We’re very glad you’re still here with us today. It isn’t uncommon for us to hear from youth that would think about killing themselves to escape a situation they feel helpless in. You are not alone. If you’re ever considering doing something to harm yourself again, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
            Again, please keep yourselves safe and consider reaching out to us here. We’re confidential and 24/7. We’re not going to judge you for anything you’ve done or are thinking about doing and we’re certainly never going to tell you what to do.
            Best of luck,
            NRS

Comment

so my parents took everything from me, all my social media and everything. I really want to live with my stepmom but she lives in Germany. I am planning on running away soon and i know where to go. Im just wondering what would happen to my school? What would happen with the people i am staying with? please help me

Comment

so my parents took everything from me, all my social media and everything. I really want to live with my stepmom but she lives in Germany. I am planning on running away soon and i know where to go. Im just wondering what would happen to my school? What would happen with the people i am staying with? please help me

Comment

• RE: What would happen if I ran away with my friend?

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is such a courageous step to take and you are so strong for doing so.
                  It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now.
                  You mentioned wanting to runaway from home and having a place to go in mind. Having a safe place to go and a safe way to get there are great things to think about.
                  You had some concerns regarding if the person housing you could get into trouble. We are not legal experts here, but typically there is a such thing called harboring a runaway. If your parents contact the police to file a runaway report, police are then required to locate and return you home. It is not illegal to leave without permission, but it can mean that you are returned home and harboring a runaway charges in certain circumstances could happen. If you wanted more specific information you can always call out to your local police district via their non-emergency number to find out about their exact procedures in your area.
                  You can always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY to get additionally support to help call out to the police on your behalf.
                  Best Wishes,
                  NRS

Comment

• RE: s it illegal to runaway when you're 14? what can happen?"

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is such a courageous step to take and you are so strong for doing so.
                    It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now.
                    You mentioned wanting to runaway from home and having a place to go in mind. Having a safe place to go and a safe way to get there are great things to think about.
                    You had some concerns regarding if the person housing you could get into trouble. We are not legal experts here, but typically there is a such thing called harboring a runaway. If your parents contact the police to file a runaway report, police are then required to locate and return you home. It is not illegal to leave without permission, but it can mean that you are returned home and harboring a runaway charges in certain circumstances could happen. If you wanted more specific information you can always call out to your local police district via their non-emergency number to find out about their exact procedures in your area.
                    You can always call us at 1800-RUNAWAY to get additionally support to help call out to the police on your behalf.

Best Wishes,
                    NRS

Comment

im getting kicked out of all family houses and at the time i only have my grandparents and my parents and im not sure where my dad is. Ive made a lot of bad decisions but it is not all one sided. i want to run but my mom told me that she was going to call CPS and they were gonna take me to a foster home or something. I dont want to. I dont want to be far from my friends and family or be there till im 18. my mom said no one in my family is gonna talk to me anymore due to the circumstances. what do i do or what can i do.

Comment

Hello,
                        Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.
                        It sounds like you are having issues at home and no longer want to stay there. You mentioned that your mom told you that if you runaway that she is going to send you to a group home. We want you to know that we are not legal experts but generally speaking a person is not considered an adult until they are 18. This means that their guardians are legally responsible for them. So the parent is required by law to provide for the youth (food, shelter, school, etc.) If they fail to do so then they can face legal consequences. This also means that the youth cannot live anywhere else without parents’ consent. There are exceptions to this rule but those include getting the court involved such as emancipation or Child Protective Services removing the parent’s rights.
                        Another option could be that you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your parents to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your mother not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
                        1-800-RUNAWAY

Comment

• I need help fast.

I'm 12 and today I will be running away, I have very low grades in Middle school and I am stressed beyond my limits. I do not want to get in trouble for something that's so hard for me to control, Idk what will happen if I get caught by the police, but If they do, I will just take my life
                          PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

Comment

• RE: I need help fast

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is such a great first steps to take during this time of difficulty.
                            You mentioned being a little fearful of getting in trouble due to some bad grades and are considering leaving home. Here is a post that could relate to you.

Originally posted by ccsmod14
                            Hi there,
                            We are always here for you at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you want to talk. Another resource you might want to reach out to is the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
                            You mentioned that if you leave your mom would call the cops. While we are not legal experts here, we can speak in general terms. Generally speaking, running away is not illegal and is often considered a status offense (i.e. truancy, breaking curfew). In most states the age of majority, when a youth is considered an adult, is 18. Since you are under 18, if you decide to leave home without permission, then your parent has the right to file a runaway report with the police and bring you back home. We often hear that while the legal age of majority is 18, at 17 some local police no longer take runaway reports or make the youth return home if they leave without permission.
                            You mention wanting to live with someone else. If you're unsure if your mom would be okay with this and would want someone to mediate a conversation where you ask your mom about it, we offer a conference calling service, where it would be you, your mom and us on the phone.
                            If you would like to talk more about your situation in more detail and about what options there are – about who you might be able to stay with, or if shelters may be on option - please reach out to us either by phone which is 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or try our live chat service through our website at www.1800RUNAWAY.org.

NRS
                            IF you wanted to know of some possible places to stay temporarily, you could always call us as well.

Best Wishes,
                            NRS

Comment

• Runaway

My mom and dad say i'm fat and tell me i need to loose weight so they put me in sports and there against bisexuals and i'm bi so it's getting to a point where i can't tell then i'm sad cause they would just say get over it my best friend will run away with me but idk if we should i've never cried so much in my life i'm just done we're both 14 can we run away and not go to jail or something...

Comment

Hello,
                                Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Ruaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your parents are calling you names and making you feel bad about yourself it is understandable why you would want to leave a place like this. You are beautiful and special and do not deserve to be treated the way that they are treating you. You mentioned that you and a friend are planning on running way but have concerns about going to jail. We want you to know that we are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department. If you would like we could contact your local non-emergency number for you or with you. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners would be happy to assist you. 1-800-RUNAWAY

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X