16, and want to move out ASAP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16, and want to move out ASAP

I’m a 16 year old female. I live in Ohio, in an apartment with my mom. My dad is in prison and I don’t want to live with my mom anymore. Her and I don’t get along, ever. I love her a lot, but I can’t handle her screaming at me anymore. It feels like I can never do anything right, and even if I do, she always finds a reason to yell at me. She’s caused scenes in stores, in front of company, and in many other situations because she was screaming at me for doing something. I’m not saying I’ve never egged it on, but it’s only because she starts it. She thinks that she can scream at me over everything, and I won’t say anything back. Then 10 minutes later, she’s being nice to me again. I can’t take it anymore. She’s given me panic attacks because she’s screamed at me so aggressively. It’s scary. She’s thrown all my stuff off my nightstand, threw drinks on the floor, grabbed my phone and threatened to throw it out of my window. It’s getting ridiculous. I just can’t anymore.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at The National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you your relationship with your mom is causing you a lot of stress- we are sorry to hear you are dealing with this
    difficult living situation. Taking on this added stress can seem like a daunting task, which is why having a strong support system can be a huge help. Turning to friends or a teacher/counselor you trust can be a great help.

You mentioned wanting to move out ASAP, and while we are by no means legal experts, we can provide general information that could relate to your situation. If you were to leave home or move out without your mom’s permission, there is a chance she could file a runaway report. If you were to encounter law enforcement, they would legally have to return you home. Running away is not illegal, it is rather a status offence because you are considered a minor.We also offer a conference calling service which would provide a safe space to talk with your mom and have a third party person mediate the call.

Everyone’s story is unique, and we would be happy to talk more in depth and explore options- you can give us a call 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X