Moving out at 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out at 18

I live in Florida right now and I’ve been planning to move because of issues at home where I don’t feel safe. I was wondering if I can move out and not tell my mom that I am. I am 18 years old already i know I’m a legal adult. I have places to stay with friends and my boyfriend. Do I have the right to move out but also cut my mother out my life?

Hi there,

thank you for reaching out to us at the National Ruanway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but you are correct in saying that you are a legal adult and so you would be able to leave your home and live somewhere else without any legal repercussions. You also have the right of whether you want your mother to be in your life or not. If you leave without telling her she could file you as a missing person so to avoid that some things you could do would be to leave a note saying your safe or if she files the report you could let the police know that you are safe and they will drop the report. If you want to talk through any of these things or just want someone to listen, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X