Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Year Old, Texas [Seeking Legal Advice]

Dear NRS,

Recently I've been realizing how things occur around me. I've grown tired of the life I am currently living. Beliefs, views, and opinions forced upon me without compromise. I have no "story" my family is a good family, I just need to escape and find meaning. Do I have a place to stay? Nope.
    What about school? Would I continue to get an education? If I'm able to after running away I'd go for it, but if not it is what it is. Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days? Gone, Untill I find what I'm looking for. What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation? Anything, I have quite the ability to adapt to various situations and I consider myself quite clever, but if I end up in a position where I have/can't obtain money I'll be content with starving and possibly dying; that's just how it is. Hopefully, I'll be smart enough to discover a way without begging, I wouldn't want to be a burden to others. Who can I depend on if I leave home? No one, just the ones who choose to support me out of good will. Do I have a safe, solid plan? Nope, other than buying the stuff ill require before I run away, "survival necessities". I have a sort of desire to go to California, so I might go there. What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work? Adapt. What have I done to make things better at home? As I Said in the beginning, my home and family are great, this on my own behalf, call it ignorance. What can I do to make things better at home? (Read Last Response...). Anyways this post is just a way to reach out to ya'll for my options and to gather other's perspective on what I'm planning to do. I also find it a bit interesting and intriguing that the National Runaway Safeline association associates itself with Grey Hound which I believe is a bus transportation service that is notoriously known for its online ticket purchases and it's long trips to basically anywhere in the U.S. Anyways I know most of the responses on the website are either automated or formatted but regardless, I'm hoping to gain insight. So this is my post, thank you for reading, taking time out of your day to read this (even though it's your job I guess xD) and any information you provide me beforehand.

Sincerely,
    Nobody

Hi Nobody,

Thanks for reaching out to us via our forum. It sounds like you have a lot on your mind, we are here to answer your questions and connect you with resources. Helping you with any insight we can give you.

We’re not legal experts at NRS, we just have a basic knowledge of runaway laws. If you think that leaving home is the right decision for you, we’re here to help you stay safe and brainstorm options. You can’t be arrested for running away, if you’re found, police will bring you back home. As far as surviving while on the run, we can always look up runaway shelters for you, in your area. Your safety is important to us. We don’t want you to be on the street and as you worded it “starving and possibly dying”.

You mentioned that there are no issues at home with your family, which we’re glad to hear. If you do think of ways that home life could be improved, we offer conference calling between youth and parents. We are always willing to help you communicate with your parents about ways you could be more comfortable there.

It looks like you answered many of your own questions in this forum post. We’re here to help you brainstorm and talk more about your situation.

Sincerely, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

But wouldn't going to a run away shelter also result in the police taking me home?

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for reaching back out. That's a good question, and it depends on the runaway shelter's policies. Generally, runaway shelters would not notify police, but rather notify your parents. Some shelters do not need to notify parents, some shelters will give you a grace period before contacting your parents or child protective services, and some shelters will not let you in before contacting your parents.

If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can look for local youth shelters for you and then call out to them with you on the line and ask what their policies are around contacting your parents.

Unfortunately our email and bulletin services are different than our regular phone and chat crisis services, and we can only respond to you once more via bulletin posts. Please call or chat us so we can best help. Our phones are 24/7 and our chat services open at 4:30 central time today.

Best,

NRS

do they have these in Ohio ? and I'm 17 about to be 18 in one month (April 3) would they still contact police or my parent because we have been bumping heads a lot and I'm just tired of it I would go into more details but I don't want to bore anyone with my story it just a lot and i feel like my mom doesn't see things my way so i want to leave ASAP.

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        We are here for you. It sounds like you want to talk to us about possibly leaving your current home and you’re turning 18 so you have some situational questions. If you could share some more details about your situation, we will try to help with our resources. Your original message looks like it might have been cut off or you have more information that could help get us to a solution. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929)

Thanks and hope to hear back from you very soon.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X