No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway

    I am 16 in the state of Texas. I want to run away and my 18 year old boyfriend wants to join. If we go out of state to another with money and stuff we need to live on our own and I don’t come back until I’m 18 can they do anything after I turn 18? What if I have contact with my parents letting them know I’m alright? I researched runaway laws in the state of Texas and it was a difficult search. I’m trying to see if I could run away without getting in trouble. What if I waited till I was 17? Could they do anything then? PLEASE HELP.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-16-2018, 12:55 AM.

  • #2
    Reply: Runaway

    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    As of right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. Okay.

    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.
    Running away is a status offense and does not stay on your permanent record.

    Running away is a status offense and does not stay on your permanent record.
    Once an individual reaches their 18th birthday the report is no longer valid as that person would then be considered an adult (unless there are some unresolved mitigating legal issues such as probation violations or warrants).
    The harboring and aiding law however may still be a legal issue for anyone that may have been involved.

    For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

    NRS is here to listen and here to help. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp