No announcement yet.

16 from Alabama, can i get emancipated?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod9
    Hello There,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in a particularly frustrating situation. It’s understandable that you’d be tired of moving place to place and just want to settle down.
    We are not legal experts here, so it might be a good idea to verify what we said with a legal aid resource. However, it appears that the age of majority, meaning when you’re considered an adult, is 19 in Alabama. Individuals are not qualified to apply for emancipation until they are 18 years of age. We’re so sorry to give you this news, but it sounds like it might not be an option for you at this time. We’d be happy to refer you to a legal resource if you’d like to ask more specific questions.
    You mentioned you are living with your sister and her boyfriend. If this isn’t viable for you anymore, we might be able to try to find you a more permanent housing situation without the need to be emancipated. These programs are sometimes called Transitional Living Programs. There’s usually an application process, but we’d be happy to look into it if there are any in your area.
    If you’d like to explore these options or talk to us about your situation in more detail, please call us here directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we’d be able to help you call these resources or refer you more if you’d like. Sometimes talking about your situation can yield more options than previously thought.
    Best of luck to you,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest started a topic 16 from Alabama, can i get emancipated?

    16 from Alabama, can i get emancipated?

    Everything that I have researched so far regarding emancipation laws in Alabama has proved to be contradictory, and I want to know what to expect, and what I can do. I am a 16-year-old girl residing in Alabama with my sister and her boyfriend. I have no other family that can take me in, and I do not wish to be placed in a girls home or foster care, I don't want to leave again. I want to know if it would be possible for me to be emancipated? I have a job and am planning on getting an apartment but I can't get one until I have proof of being a legal adult. My sister has said that if this is what I really want she would support me, but first I want to know if this is even possible. I'm tired of being thrown around places and just want to live on my own.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp