•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. While we are not legal, experts we can speak generally on this. If you leave home without permission from your parents as a minor (before turning 1, they can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if you are found. Now, there is not a universal way that police handle runaway reports. In some cases, police may be more lenient with someone who is close to turning 18 and they might not for you home. You can call your local police department's non-emergency line to speak with an officer about this. Helpful questions to ask are if they would even take a runaway report for you and if they would force you home if you have a safe place to stay.

We hope this information helps! If you have any more questions or you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available 24/7 for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    17 in Florida 18 in 7 months can I runaway without getting in trouble

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am 17 years old and i will turn 18 in april and i want to move in with my boyfriend can i legally do that without my guardians consent?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well. Reading your post, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. Hopefully we can help.

Now this is not something that we normally deal with, so our knowledge on the subject is very limited. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificate and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain your birth certificate and replacement Social Security Card. Sometime according to the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records website it looks like a siblings, parents, or grandparents could request your birth certificate if requesting it on your own is not an option. This depends on which city and state you are from, so trying looking up the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records for your state (https://www.vitalchek.com/). Hopefully either you have another family member willing to help you get your birth certificate and/or other identification. You also might be able to reach out to your school or talk to someone in admissions if you are still going to school, they might have a copy of your birth certificate on record from when you registered in school the first time.

An agency that might be able to help you future with getting in touch with prenatal care or pregnancy services would be “Planned Parenthood” (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/pregnancy). Maybe reaching out to them might help locate other resources that you can access.

Hope that this was helpful! If you need more help, don’t be afraid to reach out to us.

Guest replied
    17 in Florida I’m pregnant and living with my boyfriend I need my birth certificate and my social for prenatal care but my dad won’t give them to me unless I go back home Since I was reported as a runaway I don’t want to go back home I feel unsafe there what can I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us.We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 03-28-2020, 04:01 AM.

Guest replied
    I'm 17 going to be 18 in 3 months. I am heavily abused at home and though child protective services have been called they won't do anything. My mom beats me and starves me to the point you can physically see my pelvic bones normally. My dad sometimes assists her and I have a plan for when i turn 18 to leave the state to somewere i know will be safe and have good schools for what i am persueing for my future. When i brought it up i was told that i couldn't leave until they got disability for my younger brother who is low end autistic. then beat up. i am mixed so the bruises don't show on my skin when i get them. If i leave within the next few days and run away of my own free will can anything be done to force me to return? I don't feel safe here and the police threaten to arrest me if i call them when getting beat up. my friend in another state has been the one providing me with as much food as their budget can afford.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a post on our Bulletin. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear your parents have been treating you so unfairly and have been making home feel a tense environment. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. Now, if your parents do not report you as a runaway then police would not intervene to force you back home.

The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member or a friend's parent can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    I’m 17 and only 4 months away from 18. In Miami dade county do the police take in run away reports even though I’m close to the legal age? I’ve never done anything like this before and my parents keep telling me that they can’t wait till I leave because I somehow (though I do nothing but go to school and come home) make their life a nightmare. What are their possibilities to have me return home if I’m not in danger, am so close to 18, and have found a sustainable place to live ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for reaching out to us. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 16 currently 17 April 4th in Florida I do online school graduating in may I have a job I work all the time to not h home but when I do I have to clean and do this and that for my dad and it still isn’t good enough I get constantly threatened by him he has put his hands on me however he let me date a 21 year old he’s met him even wanted him to work for him but if I work to late or something while school is out due to circumstances with the virus he still flips out and starts threatening to press charges on him if I were to run away and live with him I wouldn’t b in danger at all I’d be a lot happier less stressed and in a better place and wouldn’t have to pay nearly as much as I would for my dad and would my dad still collet the disability he earns for me or could I petition for it to b sent to me ? Become it’s meant for me and he gets child support but I support myself right now I don’t eat at home I’m never there I buy my clothes and everything and I pay him my money so how would this go about if I did run away would my boyfriend get in trouble? Could I get my disability so I can use it for me ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

We're sorry you aren't happy living at home with your mom and stepdad. As for running away: if you leave without permission your parents can file a runaway report on you and anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Typically, police will not actively search for runaway youth, though if your parents know where you are they can request the police to visit that location and they would try to return you to your parents. But we can't say for sure exactly what would happen. Some police districts don't take runaway reports for 17 year-old's. You could always call your local police non-emergency number and ask them how they might handle the situation.

We'd like to discuss this further with you and see how we can help. The best way for us to do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via www.1800ruanway.org. We are confidential, by the way, so it's a safe place to talk about this sort of thing.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I live in Florida and I turn 18 in December. I’m not in any physical danger living with my mom and step dad however i am unhappy living with them. If I run away, will I be forced to come back home?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know if your step daughter can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with her legal guardians permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, such as yourself who could help to communicate how she is feeling to her legal guardian. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Child help 1-800-422-4453 can be a great resource for more questions Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you think she would consider.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Trying to get information for my step daughter she is 17 will be 18 march 18th this year and she doesn't feel safe at home for the last 6 month and she is talking about running to run away she wants to come live me. She is still in high school we live in fl she is in Polk county and I'm in sumter county fl is she allowed to move out without her parents consent

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X