17 in florida

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m 17 I turn 18 in 4 months but my mom was very abusive and tries to fight me like I’m grown and mentally abuses me calling me names, telling me I’m a hoe and basically making everyone I know and love tune against me so I don’t have no one else to go to. I have a safe place to stay and she technically kicked me out I have it on voice recording. So I left and she called the cops on me. Im a habitual runaway because of this she’s gotten me two misdemeanors for domestic violence for restraining her from hitting me so I leave instead of letting things Escalade to that point because I don’t want any charges to follow me once I’m an adult and go to begin my career. I also caught my mom letting the dog give her oral sex so I was very disturbed by that and think she is mentally unstable to take care of me and my sister. Is there any way I can go about proving she is mentally unstable to be my legal guardian or have custody of me? I contacted a lawyer last summer about trying to get emancipated but he told me it was unlikely because it seems like my mom would try to fight me on the case. Is it likely I can stay gone until I’m 18? And if I do once I turn 18 can I get in trouble for staying gone until I’m a legal adult in florida?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      It seems like you have gone through a lot with your mom and how she treats you and that you are frustrated by the situation to the point you want to leave for your safety and long term career goals. You never deserve to be hit by your mom, and called names like that, and it is understandable to be upset seeing her in a sexual act with an animal like that.
      Generally, a lawyer wouldn’t be the one to reach out to in order to prove your mom is unfit to care for you, the only agency with authority to remove you from custody of your mom would be DCFS/CPS by proving neglect or abuse. While disturbing, only your eyewitness testimony of her in a sexual act with an animal may not be enough to prove mental instability. You might still be able to prove neglect or physical abuse though.
      As for if you run away we can’t really speak as to how likely it is that you might be caught or if caught actually be forced to return home. We aren’t legal experts either, but generally if you successfully stay away until turning 18 at that point it becomes only a missing person’s report and even if police find you they won’t make you return home, just close the case.
      If you are at imminent risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hello I am 17. I am trying to see if I can get away from home without dealing with legal issues. My father tends to take his anger out on me and yell at me. You told me how much he would love his life if I moved out. He tends to yell at me for stuff I do wrong and threatens to remove people from my life and make sure I can’t speak to them. He yells at me at least once a week. I was wondering if I were to run away if he would be able to make me come home?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation with us. It sounds like your father tends to lash out or make you feel like problems within the household are your fault. Especially if you are also being cut off from your support system, it is totally understandable to be feeling overwhelmed and like leaving is your best option .

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on runaway laws. In most states 18 is the age that individuals are able to leave home without permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your father does have the option to report you as a runaway to the police. Now, some parents know exactly where their child is staying and choose not to make a report; however, some parents do choose to pursue this options. In the event that your father does notify police, he can ask that you be returned home if he knows where you are staying or if you come into contact with law enforcement. Running away is not illegal and it is just a status offense which means you would not get into legal trouble.

We are here to be a support for you during this challenging situation. If you have additional questions or you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are best able to help by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Be safe,
      NRS

I am 17 and i am struggling with finding a job because of my axiety but im trying my best. I turn 18 in june of next year and i want to live with my friend but i am grounded and i dont want to get in trouble about being rebellious towards my parents or have the police called on me. I am curently still in high school and im stressing out because of my parents lextures and they call me a disappointment. I am afraid if i leave i wont be able to come back into the house.
    1. Will i get in big trouble if i call my friend to come and get me?
    2. Is it against the law for me to ran away?
    3. Will my friend get in trouble?
    4.what should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      First, thank you for reaching out it takes a lot of courage. Anxiety can be a lot to deal with on top of dealing with everything that is going on right now in your life. Its great that you have friends that want to support you and that you have people that you can turn to. We are not legal experts by any means while running away is not illegal it is a status offense. Your friend could potentially get in trouble but usually these types of situations are handled on case-by-case bases and usually what happens is that you are returned to your parents. You mentioned that you suffer from anxiety you can always reach out to SAMHSA’s National Helpline (1-800-662-4357) or to National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264). Remember that you are not alone and whenever you are feeling overwhelmed, we are always here to 24/7 and you can always reach to us through chat or hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Stay strong and stay safe.
      NRS

So I am a 17 years old im 8 months away from turning 18 My mother passed away so I had to come live with my dad at the age of 10 he is very much an alcoholic and over the years we haven’t had the best experiences from holes in my wall to physically being in altercations if I left my house 3 months before turning 18 im still a senior in high school but I have places to go with other family if I left and cops were called would police bring me back to my fathers house hold or let me stay with my grandmother knowing im safe

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We are so sorry for your loss, and that you've had to live in such a difficult situation since your mother's passing. It sounds like you are considering leaving home and you have some questions about your options. We are not legal experts, but we can share information that might help you figure out your next steps.

Before discussing your options for leaving, please know that it is never ok for anyone to hurt you. If you feel unsafe and are being abused at home, you have the right to report that abuse to your local child protective services office. Organizations like ChildHelp, available by phone at 1-800-422-4453 or online at
      www.childhelp.org/ .

Regarding your questions about leaving home, from what we understand, if you are considered a minor in your state, your parent or legal guardian needs to give consent for you to live anywhere outside of their care. If you leave without their consent, they can file a runaway report with their local police department. Our understanding is that technically, running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense in some states. Each police department handles runaway reports as they see fit, but in most cases, when a runaway report is made, if a youth is found by local police, they typically return the youth to their legal guardian. To know how your specific department handles runaway reports, and whether your circumstances would change how they handle your situation, one option is to reach out to the local police at their non-emergency number. In most cases, you do not have to identify yourself to ask questions. If you would like help finding the contact information for your local police department, or if you would like to talk to someone about your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe as you figure out your next steps. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!
      -NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X