No announcement yet.

17 in florida

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Hi im 17 years old turning 18 in 8 months my mother tricked me into coming to Florida for vacation turns out she's keeping me here to start new but I don't want to be here I want to go back to New York I was planning to live with my boyfriend who is 19 i was wondering if I was to leave Florida and get back to New York would I or my boyfriend get into problems with the law/cops


    • ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,

  • #47
    Hi im 17 i turn 18 in 3 months and i have been always having constant argues with my mom and dad about things that i didnt even do, my mom is the type to manipulate and lie to get whats she wants , we got in a big fight this morning about somethhing that happened yesterday and my mom told me i can leave and nevrr come back for anything she has my phone car keys and wont give them back the car is under my name shes just a co signer i bought it cash she just had to co sign because im a minor and she kept arguing more and more about it and my step dad gotbin the middle of it and slapped me in the face and thats when i felt i needed to go so i got my stuff i wanted to take to go somehwere i felt safe , now shes saying shell call the cops if i leave im stuck idk what to do ??


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time and that sounds so stressful to have those arguments going on at home. We want you to know that you do not deserve to be hit. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

      We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

      Also, if you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the things going on at home. If you want more information about reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or you could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online. We also want you to know that if you ever feel that you are in danger, you could call 911 for immediate help.

      If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. You could also consider talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling or having another trusted adult help you talk with them. Just so you’re aware, we have a conference calling service here where we could help mediate a conversation between you and your parents.

      It sounds like all of your struggles are making you consider leaving home. If you do decide to leave home, you could consider thinking about ways to make sure you stay safe. You could explore ways you would get food, shelter, clothing and other necessary things. You could think about how long you would stay away, where you would stay, and what things would be like when you return. You could consider what you would do if had an emergency.

      There are also many resources that could help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

      Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

  • #48
    Can you go to Florida if you run away from Michigan when your 17 I just need to know the legal issues when I'm in Florida


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out. It's smart to ask questions like these.

      Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and can only speak generally. Michigan does have a law that makes it so 17 year olds can often leave home and their guardians can not report them as a runaway. However, at 17 you are still considered a minor rather than a legal adult. If you left home and moved to Florida, you would generally still be considered a minor until you turn 18. However, your guardians cannot generally report you as a runaway in Florida rather than Michigan. So in summary, if your local police do not accept a runaway report for you, you wouldn't be able to be listed as a runaway in Florida, but you are still considered a minor and it would be hard for you to do things like rent an apartment.

      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); We’re here to listen and to help.

      Take care,


  • #49
    I’m 17 (turning 18 in 4 months) and I live in Florida. My mom and I have been getting into it for a while now. I do everything for her. She won’t even drive to the store to get food for my little siblings. I honestly don’t know what would happen if I wasn’t here. She’s threatening to take away my schooling (I’m a Senior doing dual enrollment at my local college.) I have a place to stay at my grandmas. I don’t have a job currently because it’s hard to get a job during summer apparently and my dad is on board with me moving out but he’s not my legal guardian because he lives in a different state. Could my grandma get in trouble for me living there even if my dad approves and she’s okay with it?


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello thank you for contacting us with your issue.

      Were sorry that it’s gotten to the point where your mom is threatening to take away your college funding. Sadly if you were to leave home without your mother’s consent, she could file a runaway report. Which means if the cops were to find you, most likely be returned home. Additionally your mom has the option to press charges, which is misdemeanor for harboring a runaway which can cause a fine. At NRS we are not legal experts, call a legal services if you have more questions on the subject. Have you considered having a conversation with your grandma about the situation? At NRS we offer a conference call feature which allows you to talk to you mother with you and your grandmother on the phone, and this can allow your grandma to speak for you.

      If you still have any lingering question give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat us at so we can help you further.

      Best of luck,


  • #50
    Im 17, and I’m just curious on what the laws in Florida are on “runaways” that are close to being 18.
    As far as the relationship with my mother... it’s very emotionally torturing. she tells me that i’m hard to live with, and that she wants me out of her house, but then refuses to let me leave. I’m honestly just confused on what to do?

    Will my fiancé’s family got in trouble for housing me?
    Will I get in trouble for leaving?

    Thank you for your time.


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It can be tough having a difficult relationship with your mother and it also seems confusing how she wants you to leave but then won’t allow you to leave.
      We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave home before being 18 your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. Best of luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove