No announcement yet.

17 in florida

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 15 turning 16 in June. I've been planning on running away for a couple of years but I'm scared of the outcome. I don't feel safe nor comfortable in my house. My mom mentally abuses me with her sickening words and I'm extremely scared of her because once she starts hitting me she can't stop. My stepdad also mentally abuses me as well. I just can't handle it anymore, I don't want to live in a house were I'm constantly having panic straka worring about my life. Another thing is that my mom and stepdad are very religious and force me into their religion which I dong want any part of. My boyfriend is letting me stay at his house for a week. I just wanted to know what will the consequences of me leaving be, I'd also like to know how can I get emancipated, and if it's legal to force a child into a religion.

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well.

No one deserves to be treated like that at all. If it is getting to the point where you are extremely scared or fear for your own life around her, just know that you always have the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, or neglect/abandonment) to your local child protective service in your state. You have rights too that are in place to protect you. Of course, the decision of whether or not to remove you from your mother’s care falls on the shoulders of a CPS case worker. After a report is made, they will decided if there is enough information to do an investigation where they will go to the house and see what is going on. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is harder to see and prove so it might come done to whether or not you have any evidence so support your case. If they don’t think there is abuse, they might recommend some counseling services or general family mediation.

As you have probably already read the multiple other threads and messages/replies that we have posted here on the forum board you should know that we are not legal experts and have talked about what the runaway laws are if you were to leave without getting parental permission. You also asked if being forced to be in a religion that your parents are a part of is considered legal to do. Like stated above we can’t give you a for sure answer, but it is to our believe that being a part of your parents religion, even though you don’t believe it, is legal for them to do as long as you’re in their household.

If you were looking into emancipation we can give you some general knowledge of that process, but we are not legal experts again. Those laws regarding emancipation are different in every state and some states don’t even recognize emancipation as an option. What we know is that getting emancipated by the court is a process that does take a while. There also needs to be proof that the youth is able to support him or herself on their own. Other requirements sometime indicate that they have had to have lived independently from their parents for a certain amount of time, wishes to be free from parental control, has an acceptable plan for independent living, and be able to manage their own financial affairs. So it doesn't look like there is going to be a fast track to getting emancipated or website because it does go through the court system and you will have to wait for a judge to see you and hear your case. For more information you as welcome to call into our 24 hour hotline or reach out to your local county juvenile court to talk to a legal expert.

Hope that this information helps!

I would like to leave my home im 17 in florida and wanted to know if I stay with my boyfriend's parents would they get in trouble?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-05-2018, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Reply: I would like to leave my home im 17

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand that it is not always easy to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am 16 & have graduated from high school if I leave after my 17th birthday & I’m pregnant would I be considered a runaway even if my mother doesn’t approve?

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In every state in the U.S., you have to be at least 18 to move out of home without parental permission. So yes, your mother can file a runaway report on your behalf if you leave home without her consent at age 17. Please call us if you have other questions or would like referrals to local resources: 1-800-786-2929.

Best,
          NRS

If you get engaged at 17 and your birthday is in 7 weeks can you leave you house when you get engaged??

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're not legal experts, but in most of the U.S., you have to be 18 to leave home without your parents' consent. Otherwise you will be considered a runaway if your parents choose to report your departure to the police. You may want to read some of the prior forum responses for more information about runaway laws in general.

Best,
          NRS

Hi I just turned 17 yesterday I graduated high school on May 22 and I wanted to know if I could leave home. My mother doesn’t want me to leave but she won’t allow me to be the young adult I am supposed to be after high school? Could I be considered a runaway and face consequences?

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life, especially at home. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18, or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave or move out home before then your guardians could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. This means the police could detain you until they release you to the care of your guardians. We also have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We’re here if you’d like to talk more about what’s going on at home. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

I'm 17 an I live in flordia .. I'm also in fostercare an I'm curious if there's an estimate on when they .. The officers would call for a wellness instead of a pick up . I'm 7 months out from being 18

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are not legal experts so we can't say for sure whether the officers would call for a wellness check instead of picking you up. It varies per police department. You could contact your local police through their non emergency number to ask about their policy. If you don't feel comfortable calling the police, we could contact them for you. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions.

Im 17 years old and i have a almost 2 month old and i domt want to stay with my legal guardian no more i want to stay with my babys father and his parents , he lives in georgia and i live in florida and he wants to be with his daughter and be in her life but this great distance his troubling that am i allowed to leave home to go with him and his parents if my legal guardian says no what do i do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you so much for reaching out to NRS and sharing your story, it sounds like you are in a really difficult position with regard to finding a place to stay that works for your legal guardian and allows you and your daughter to be close to her father. Unfortunately we are not legal experts here but generally speaking if you are under 18 years old and leave without the permission of your legal guardian, your guardian can file a runaway report with the police which would allow them to bring you back to your guardian. There can also be legal repercussions for anyone over the age of 18 who you stay with or who helps you while you are considered a runaway. Often individuals in situations similar to yours find more success if able to gain permission to leave from their legal guardians, here at national runaway safeline we are happy to help facilitate a call between you and your legal guardian or discuss your options and support for having that conversation. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and here to help you by going over different options and resources. We can also be reached at www.1800runaway.org.
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Best,
          NRS

Hi I’m 17yrs old and I ran away from home because me and my mom have a had a long history do problems between us, I’ll do everything she asks of me but she’s constantly abused of me verbally, so I’d came back from a week long trip and we got into a big fight the night I got back and she specifically told me “since you’re so unhappy you can leave and I won’t start any problems” and when I had all my things packed and I’m walking out she tells me to go back to my room, am I safe since she told me to leave? I turn 18 in 4 months

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a very stressful situation. No one ever deserves to be abused in any way; it’s especially frustrating that your mother would give you the okay to leave, wait for you to pack, and then tell you to return. Unfortunately your mom does have the right to file a runaway report if she decides that she doesn’t want you to leave. If the police decide to pursue you, they will return you home. However, since you are turning 18 soon there is a possibility the police will let you stay where you are. Unfortunately we are not legal experts and can’t predict how your local police would respond with 100% certainty.
          --NRS

Hi I know a 17 year old who is having trouble at home with her parents it’s not safe for her to be at home if she leaves her house is it a crime?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out for this person. They are lucky to have someone supportive in their life. Nothing is more important than someone's safety if they are in a dangerous situation. If this is an emergency you might tell them to call 911. Also if they call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can look for safe places near them they can go to.

To answer your question, we are not legal experts but we can speak generally, running away is generally a status offense rather than being illegal. Meaning that it is something they cannot do due to being a minor, and it is not something that stays on their permanent record. If they leave home without permission, their parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once they are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in their case. Generally speaking, if they encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, they will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in their area is to call their local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.

Be safe,

NRS

Hi. I'm 17. I'm running out of options in the home. My mother is getting ready to ship me off to live with my father halfway across the US. Would it be illegal to run away?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen to your situation. It seems like you are going through a tough situation right now. We are not legal experts, but running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. What that means is if you were to run away your parents have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. In a lot of cases we see, the police usually do not take runaway reports for people who are 17, it varies by police department. If you would like to find out an exact answer you can call your non-emergency police department and ask them what would happen if you were to runaway. We hope this information was helpful to you! If you have any more questions or would like to discuss your situation further please give us a call we are available 24/7. Good Luck!
          NRS

Hi, a friend sent me this: “I’m 16, almost 17, my parents are moving out of the country and I would like to stay in Florida, both to finish my education and to escape my family’s strict religious policies that have stripped me of happiness for years. I have found a place to stay with friends and can find a job. If I tell them I will not be going with them, what could happen? Is this legal?”

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
          Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
          Take care,
          NRS

Hi my friend is 16 years old, she doesn’t get along with her family and just doesn’t want to live there anymore. She wants to move with her boyfriend out of state, they would have a stable home for a little less then 2 years till she’s 18. She’s really scared she’ll get caught and that’s the only reason she hasn’t left. She has a way to get there and leave but she’s still planning it out. What are the chances she actually gets caught by the police if she stays out of state in a safe place till she’s 18. Do Florida police look for long? She is “leaving a note explaining” she’ll be safe and at she didn’t want to stay. So they know she ran alway. She also is leaving her phone and deleting all social media. She knows her parents will look nonstop. But what are the chances of her getting caught if her parents don’t know where she’s going or the people she’s staying with? And her l leaving the note she will be safe.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are glad you are reaching out on behalf of your friend it shows that you care and are being supportive. It sounds like your friend is going through a difficult time right now. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of runaway laws. In most states the legal age to leave home is 18, because your friend is a minor they could be considered as a runaway. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. What that means is that if the police were to find your friend they most likely would bring them back home. Unfortunately we do not know the chance that she would be found, but it is likely that the police would find her. We hope this information will be helpful in your situation. Again thank you for contacting us, if you have any other questions please give us a call we are here 24/7. Best of luck!
          NRS

I’m 17 an 4 months away from 18 I have a job an i am out of school , things at my house aren’t the best an my mom is being controlling an I do everything she wants but she will not even let me go outside, I have a car that’s not under her name an a phone that’s not under her name what can I do to safely leave ? Like if I leave what’s the chances the police will go looking for me ??

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

Hi,I ran away from my dad moved with my mom but technically I’ve never lived with my mom I’ve lived with a friend ,my mom hasn’t gave me permission my dad also,CPS thought my mom left down so they took me even though my my parents gave me permission,can they do that? Cps kinda put me in a foster home which I don’t wanna be in so what will happen if I run away I’m 17 turning 18 in 10 months. But I’m stable will the police look for me or wait till they find me.

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey There,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like you’re in a sticky situation as to where you are living and who your legal guardian is. If you are currently assigned a CPS caseworker it might be beneficial to talk to them about where you are living and also to verify who your legal guardian is as they are responsible for your well-being.

If you do opt to leave your home your legal guardian can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS but generally speaking, if a runaway report has been filed and you are located by the police or other authorities, you will be returned to your guardian.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X