17 in florida

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello I have a 15 years old girl and she been running away off and on for about 3 months. she is missing school and missing court now she have a pick up warrant. my whole thing is she is running away and behind this 14 years old boy and his mother allows them to be together at they house. the mom know she a runaway cause every time the police come there she tell them she not there. the mother let them make the decision on wen they go to school smoke weed and tobacco with them...so I'm asking is there anything I can do? can the mom get in trouble? if she can how would I go by doing so? if you can help me it will b great

Comment

• ccsmod1
      Super Moderator
      • May 2007

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but one thing you can do is file a runaway report for your daughter. If you do that, there could be a charge filed against the mother for what is called harboring a runaway. You would want to check in with your local police because every county handles runaway reports differently. Your local police would be able to speak more specifically to your situation and hopefully get you the answers that you need.

If you want to call into us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could look up resources in your area for how you as a parent can be supported during what sounds like to be a difficult time. We can also look up the numbers for the juvenile court services in your area.

Let us know how we can best help,

NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod1; 11-29-2017, 12:25 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My sister will be 18 in 19 days . she doesnt want to go home due to the fact our mother and mothers boyfriend abuses her mentally and physically. My mother said she was going to report her as a runaway and have me arrested if i dont bring her home. I just need to know what she can do. We dont have money for a lawyer and she cant wait 19 more days till shes 18 to get away. Its not heatlhy for her.

Comment

• ccsmod16
          ccsmod16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, thanks for reaching out today. It sounds like you are helping your sister in a really tough situation. We are sorry to hear your sister is being abused. She does not deserve that: physical or mental. Thank you for helping her, she is lucky to have you as a support.
          In Florida, 18 is the legal age of adulthood. If your sister leaves home before that age, your mom can file her as a runaway with the police. Some police stations no longer accept runaway reports for 17 year olds if they are so close to 18, but that depends on each local department. You always have the option of calling and asking anonymously what the department does in cases like your sister’s. We are not legal experts, but as far as we understand, if filed as a runaway, any adult who allows your sister to stay with them is at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway if your mom pursues it. It’s a rare charge, but something to be aware of. Also, if police were to come into contact with her if filed as a runaway, if your sister discloses abuse, typically the police will put her in a safe place (with you if you are over 18, a shelter, or another family member) and contact child protective services. What CPS does can vary a lot, especially with your sister being just about a legal adult. She does always have the right to report though. We can conference call with her to do that or call on her behalf if she would like to call in to us: 1-800-786-2929. However, we never ask for names or identifying information so you or your sister can always call and talk to us anonymously and confidentially. Another organization that can answer questions about abuse is Child Help-the national child abuse hotline: childhelp.org, 1-800-422-4453. They can answer legal questions and discuss options like your sister staying with another family member.
          The National Domestic Violence Hotline may also be helpful: thehotline.org, 1-800-799-7233.
          There are also local free legal aid options, so if you want to explore that, or need any other resources, you and your sister are welcome to call us 24/7 or chat with us live daily 4:30-11:30pm CST.
          We wish you and your sister the best of luck! She does not deserve any type of abuse and thank you for being such a great support for her. Make sure to take care of yourself too, this is a stressful situation for all involved. Be well and call anytime!

Hi, I am tunrning 17 in 8 days. I am currently going through a very tough situation with my mother regarding my sexual orientation. I am homosexual and she is Christian, so obviously it does not go very well for me. I asked her if she could please give me some time away from her with my family in our country, but she told me that she will not let me leave. In other words she is depriving me from leaving. I understand that she is my mother and has the right to do so, but I really need her to understand that I have to leave, I really can’t stand living with her anymore. I really need help on trying to convince her to give me the permission to leave the country. Thank you in advance.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there,
          Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re glad you came to us today. It sounds like things are really tough in your home right now, it must have taken a lot of courage to ask for help, we appreciate you telling us a little about what’s been going on.
          It sounds like you’re needing your mother’s permission to leave the county. It might be difficult to do so without. If you’d like help talking to your mother about this situation, we’d be happy to arrange a conference call with you and your mother and someone here on the other line to make sure the conversation is productive. Sometimes it help to have another person there as a mediator and we offer that service here. If that doesn’t seem like something you’re interested in, it might be good to consider someone else in your life, like a trusted family friend, that could help you talk to her instead.
          We’re so sorry your sexuality seems to be in conflict with your family’s values. That isn’t easy and you don’t deserve to be treated any different because of your sexual orientation. If you’d like to discuss this in more detail with an organization that is run by folks that identify as LGBTQ, please consider reaching out to the LGBT National Hotline at 1-888-843-4564 or at www.glbthotline.org.
          We’d also love to hear from you! We’re 24/7 and confidential at1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’d love to hear from you.
          Stay strong,
          NRS

I am 17 years old and will be 18 in 4 months. I have been abused in the past an don’t want it to happen again. I have an uncle that will take me in, but I wanted to know if I would have to go back to my family or if anyone would get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It’s difficult to talk about your struggles on the internet, but we appreciate you taking the initiative to receive some help. We hope this message helps you learn more about your options and determine which options work and don’t work for you.

Abuse is certainly never okay and it’s never your fault. We prioritize your safety and well-being, and feel that you deserve to feel safe and comfortable in your own home. You mention that your experiences happened in the past, but we know that abuse can leave long-lasting impacts. If you think it would be helpful to discuss some of your experiences with abuse, then we are available 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 or [email protected]. We can also help you locate mental health counseling and support groups if you contact us through these platforms.

We’re really happy to hear that in these trying times, you have your uncle as a source of support. Family members are great sources of assistance in times of struggle. If you run away to your uncle, there are a few general pieces of legal information you may want to be aware of. We are not legal experts, so this information is general, and the laws we speak about may vary in your area.

When a youth leaves their guardian’s home without permission, their guardians can file a runaway report on the youth’s behalf. This alerts police the child should be returned home if found. Running away in a majority of the U.S. is considered a status offense (like breaking curfew), and therefore, it is unlikely a youth would be arrested just for running away. The police will most likely just bring you home if they find you. They may be interested in involving CPS if you tell the police that your household is abusive, and CPS can determine a safer place for you to stay (such as with a relative, or with a foster parent). You may also want to know that some police stations do not actively investigate or take runaway reports for youth that are 17 years old. This is certainly not a majority of police departments, but from what we know it does happen. You may also want to know that your uncle could be arrested for harboring a runaway if he chooses to, and if the police decide that filing such charges are appropriate.

If this message has not been super helpful for you, we apologize, and encourage you to reach out to us for further assistance. We can provide support and referrals 24/7 at the contact info above.

Best of luck,
          NRS

I am 17 years old and will turn 18 in 4 months. My mom and Dad are both abusive towards me but not my brother. I just think leaving would be best for the whole family. No one is happy with me here. I was going to call the non emergency police but I didn’t k ow what to ask. I don’t want my parents in trouble for what they have done I just want to be out of the situation. What can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It takes a great deal of courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear that your parents have been abusing you. Abuse is never okay, and you don't deserve to be treated that way. If you feel as though you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to contact 911. You do have the right to report the abuse. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource to get more information about what option you have. You could ask your parents if they would allow you to move with another family member or close friend. Since you are a minor, if you decide to leave home without your parents permission, they could file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. However, some police do not accept runaway reports for 17 year old's. You could contact your local police department through their non emergency number and ask about their runaway policy. If you don't feel comfortable contacting them, we could call on your behalf. If you do decide to leave home, we could also look up local safe places for you to stay such as youth shelters or transitional living programs. If you would like additional resources, or just need to talk please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) , email, or live chat.

Hi I turn 18 in 3 months and my stepdad mentally abuses me. My mother lets it happen. I tried running away and the police made me go home. I am completely enrolled in college. If my mom reports me as a runaway can the college police officers get involved? The college told the parents that they cannot give any information to the parents about the child. But what if the police get involved? I am planning on leaving again and I have a place to stay that is right next to the college

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you are going through a tough time, so we are happy you turned to us. Hopefully we can help you out with some information on runaway laws.

You ask if the college police can get involved if your mom reports you as a runaway. We are not sure the extent of your college police’s authority, however the local police can certainly get involved if a runaway report is filed, even if you are on your college campus. If the police find you, they will return you home, similar to how they did the first time you ran away. It is possible that the police may not return you home, since you are so close to turning 18 and it sounds like you may have a place to live on your own, but we cannot say for sure.
          One option you have available to you is calling your local police non-emergency number to ask them what they would do in this situation. We are happy to help you call them if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are also happy to just talk more about your situation and how you are feeling.

Thank you again for reaching out, we hope this information is helpful and we wish you the best of luck.

So at the house I live in, I hate it. My parents always demean me, I’ve been called worthless and a waste a few times now. They always try to put me down and don’t seem to think I’m able to do anything with my life (though my teachers will certainly disagree with that). A couple nights ago they started yelling at me (I was getting in trouble) and I had such a bad panic attack I blacked out. A few seconds later when I came to they hit me at least once with a belt (I was dazed and only saw it once, though it didn’t leave any marks) and soon after (I was told to go to my room) I blacked out on the way there. Then I was slapped and was yanked up by my hair. Within the past year they’ve been getting more and more
        angry with me if I do something wrong. I turn 18 in 9 months, if I were to leave my house I’d have multiple places where I’d be safe and could stay. My grades in school (I am still in high school) have been pretty good until recently (I’ve been more stressed than usual, even before the incident a couple nights ago. I take AP classes and I do really well in all of them, and all of my classes really. Thing is I’m also 100% certain they’d attempt to at least get me back, or they’d call the cops on me for being a runaway and try to get me arrested or something. I was just wondering what I can do, if I can do anything. I’d really rather not have them go too far one day, and have it end up affecting all of us. (I also have two siblings, but they’re safe, my parents wouldn’t do to them what they’d do to me). I have made a report about this at my school but if nothing can be done about it, I don’t know how much longer I can deal with this before I just leave.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-02-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
          Super Moderator
          • May 2007

Reply: So at the house I live in

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

It takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a lot about what’s been going on.
          It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed.

We understand your frustration with living in such an abusive environment and we’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way.
          You are not worthless or a waste of anyone's time. This is not your fault.

If at any time you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          It sounds like you made a report to the school with unsatisfactory results. Although we are not sure if you did so, you might consider making a child abuse report about any and all mistreatment by your parent's to CPS.

Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          If you would like to talk more in detail and explore options, please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or you can live chat (4:30pm until 7:30am CST) through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. You have the right to want a place where you can feel safe.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I've been wondering, I have a friend that has a daughter that she does not have custody of, the daughter's father has full custody and my friend had no visitation rights what so ever. The daughter ran away from her father's home when she was 17 in Tennessee and went to Florida to be with her mother. The daughter turned 18 while she was staying with her mother in Florida. Her father still doesn't know where she is at. This still does not sit right with me even though she turned 18 because my friend harbored her for months. My friend and I haven't spoken much since I found out and she still is scared she can get into trouble for harboring her even though she's a legal adult now. Do you know what the laws are about this in the state of Florida?

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,
              Thanks for reaching out. We’re not legal experts, but to our knowledge once youth turn 18, they are able to stay where they wish, so your friend’s daughter should be in the clear at this point. As for harboring a runaway...again, we’re not legal experts, but this Is a rare charge to begin with and now that the youth is 18 it is unlikely that your friend would run into any trouble. The daughter’s father would have to decide to press charges, which is costly and takes a while. If you’d like a more concrete answer, you might consider reaching out to your local police to ask about their policies.
              --NRS

Hey, I’m 17 and my parents split up when I was 13. My mother currently does illegal drugs and I’m not 100% if my dad does anymore. My fathers girlfriend has caused my younger sibling to leave our house and go to my moms because his girlfriend talks down to her and also me and my brother. They recently have told me I’m not allowed to go anywhere because I couldn’t drive home this weekend when the weather was severe and I didn’t want to wreck. My dad says I’m disrespectful but today he screamed at me and told me that I’m a spoiled brat. I pay for my car and everything else I own. I have a job currently and if I left I would have a home. My job is under the counter so I may not be able to be emancipated. But I wish to leave I won’t be 18 until 9 months. And I feel as if I’m being Mis treated for no reason. If I leave now can I get in trouble ? Or can the people I live with get in trouble? I really can’t take it anymore. Ever since I was 13 I have been mentally abused and talked down to. My dad was a bad drunk and no he isn’t, but he told me I’m a bad kid because i am disrespectful but I just wanna have a good relationship with him and I can’t anymore because he’s putting his girlfriend before his kids and his family.. I really need another option than living there. Is there anything I can do??? Please

Comment

• ccsmod1
              Super Moderator
              • May 2007

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about all that has been going on in your home and for such a long time. We want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy wherever you live.

Since you are a minor, your guardian could file a runaway report for you and you could be returned by the police if found. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is to anonymously inquire to your local police station how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds because some state's don't take them because of how close a person is to being considered a legal adult. The only way to know for sure would be to get the information from them directly.

You can also give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and a liner could walk you through that process or find other resources for you that you may need. We could also help you action plan how you might be able to survive in your household until you are 18 and can legally move out if you feel that that is the better option.

Let us know how we can best help.

NRS

Comment

im 17 and im thinking about running away because my mom wont let me go to new york with my girlfriend. if i leave can she call the cops and if she does what can they do? i turn 18 in 5 months but i have a job, car, and a place to live.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline.

In answer to your question, since you’re a minor (under the age of 1 your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Running away considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away. If the police come across you, they will pick you up and bring you back home. Sometimes if you are close to 18 the, police will not take a runaway report or make the youth return home. However, since we’re not legal experts, we would recommend calling your area’s police non-emergency number for more information.

It might be a good idea to have a solid plan on what you are planning to do when you leave (i.e long term housing, transportation, financial stability, access to food/clothes, school, etc.). This will help you to see what is reasonably possible for you to do and what isn’t. We're not sure if you and your girlfriend are wanting to take a trip to NY or running away there permanently. Either way, we're here to talk more about your situation to fully understand.

If you would like to talk more about your situation, please don’t hesitate to call our hotline which is open 24/7, and is anonymous and confidential (1-800-RUNAWAY).

Best of luck.
                  NRS

We hope this response was helpful!  We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum.  Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

I'm 17, and I will be 18 in 6 months. I ran away about 6 months ago a few days after my 17th birthday and have only been picked up once. They took me up to the DCF office and had my legal guardian pick me up and I left from there again, which the detectives on my case advised me to do because they believed I shouldn't be returned there. I do not have a room at her house, she has sold all of the stuff that used to be in her home for me. I have a safe place to stay, my GED, and a job. I plan on getting married this upcoming June and my parents, who don't have custody, would sign the papers. I was wondering if because I'm a runaway and do not have my legal guardians permission, but I do have both of my parents, if they could void the marriage? Will my fiancé be in trouble if I leave with him after the marriage? I currently live in Florida and he is stationed in another state. Since he's in the military I don't want him to get in trouble for traveling across state lines with a runaway. In Florida if you get married is it an automatic emancipation? Thank.

Comment

• ccsmod5
                  ccsmod5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey,
                  Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot of things but are incredibly resilient, resourceful, and intelligent. You asked some great questions. We’re not legal experts, but we’ll try to answer as best as we can. Keep in mind, however, that your best resource would be a lawyer. If you need help locating a legal resource in your area, please feel free to give us a call and we can try to find one for you!
                  It sounds like you’re planning on getting married soon. To the best of our knowledge, you would be emancipated once you are married in the state of Florida. However, in order to get married as a minor, you would need your legal guardian’s consent (not just your biological parents). However, if for some reason you do manage to get a legal marriage certificate, then there may not be any issue with you leaving with your fiancé (though again we are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure what would happen). Since you are turning 18 in six months, one other option to stay on the safe side is to wait until you are 18 to leave the state or get married. Again, your best resource in this situation would definitely be a lawyer just to make sure you’ve covered your bases.
                  Thank you again for reaching out. We wish you the best of luck and we encourage you to give your honest feedback of our forum services at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think . If you’d like to talk about the situation more specifically or need help locating resources, please give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. Stay safe!

I'm 17 and I'm thinking about running away and I'm afraid my mom is going to come after me. I'm physically safe at my house, I just don't feel like this home is good for my mental health. If I run away, am I legally allowed to stay at a friend's house until I graduate? I live in Florida and I have no immediate family I can stay with in my area (in my county)

Comment

• ccsmod3
                  ccsmod3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi! We are glad you reached out to us. Though we are not legal experts here, we generally know that the age of majority in Florida is 18, meaning you are not considered a legal adult until that age. This being said, you are not legally permitted to live elsewhere without permission from a parent or guardian. However, we do completely understand that sometimes living at home is not the best situation, and we are here to help you assess all your options. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 any time to explain your situation to one of our trained crisis line workers. We are always here to listen and here to help!

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
              x
              x
              Working...
              X