No announcement yet.

In 16 and I'm emotionally abused

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In 16 and I'm emotionally abused

    I am 16 and I live in Oklahoma. My father emotionally abuses me and threatens me constantly. I want to leave my house and to be put in another house but I don't want my father charged with abuse or arrested. How can I go about this?

  • #2
    Hi, thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. You don’t deserve to be abused and everyone should feel safe at home. We aren’t legal experts, but there are a few options for you that will hopefully help.
    If you feel comfortable talking to your father about this, you could go through a legal process of something called emancipation, which would let you live on your own even though you’re still a minor. You would have to be financially independent to do this. You could also live with someone else, such as a trusted friend or family member, and have that person become your legal guardian.
    If these options aren’t possible, you could still leave home. You would be considered a runaway, and if your father files a runaway report and the police find you, they will take you back home. If you decide to do this, we suggest that you have a plan for where you’ll go and how you’ll support yourself.
    If you would like to discuss your situation more or explore more options, please feel free to reach out at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us at Thank you again for contacting us, and best of luck with everything.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I am 16 years old too I turn 17 in a few months I am getting emotional abuse more and more by my mom. We have already gotten physical too. I’m tired of loving there she all ready told me to get out her house and that she doesn’t want me there no more. She tells me that I’m worthless and other stuff. I can’t stand living there no more can I leave the house ? I don’t have any other family that I can stay with. I work and buy my own stuff like food and personal hygiene because she doesn’t want me getting anything from hers. My boyfriend said I can stay with him at his house can I? Will my mom let me do that? Does she have to sign anything?


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safelfine. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation and are confused about what you should do.
        We were able to find this response to another user’s question that we think might be helpful to you.

        Originally posted by ccsmod10 View Post
        Re: Im 16 and hate living at home if i run away can the police force me to go back?


        Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are ready to leave home but want to make sure you are legally safe first. Just to let you know, we are not legal experts since we are not lawyers. However, we can try and answer your questions as much as possible. Technically it is not against the law to run away. In most places it’s considered a status offence. However, anyone that you are caught staying with could be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. It sounds like your parents would want to press charges against your boyfriends’ parents if you were to run to his house.

        In most places, your parents would be responsible for you until you turn 18. If the police are called, they may ask you if you feel safe returning home. You do have the right to feel safe in your own home. You also have the right to go to school regardless of your living situation. Have you ever run away from home before?

        Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we do not tell you what you should or should not do. We can however look up legal resources in your area, and help you explore options. We would encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to help you plan your next move. We are available 24/7 and are confidential and anonymous. We can also be reached by live chat from 4:30-11:30pm Central Standard Time at We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon!

    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp