Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 And Wondering

I am 17 Years Old .. In 2 months I'll be 18 I been planning on moving out from under my mother since I was 16 I can't do anything hang wit my Blood sisters or brothers.. barely can see my cousin or grandmother because my dad don't want My Mom or us around them .. I want to know if I decide to leave after my Birthday Would that be Fine ? would I go to jail of I up and leave ? I live in Mississippi !!

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear that you're not happy at home right now. It's understandable that you're needing a break from your mom.

If you ever wanted help talking to your mom about being able to have a relationship with your relatives, we offer a conference calling service. We would be more than happy to call out to her with you, and advocate for you.

As far as moving out before you turn 18, we’re not legal experts, but the age of majority in Mississippi is 21. Which means you’re not considered a legal adult until then. The laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. Now we aren’t legal experts, but what typically happens, in the event that you do run away or leave without their permission, your mom could be able to make a runaway report. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. Since different states handle runaway laws differently, we also offer to call out to local police with youth. That way, we could give you a definite answer on what would happen in your area. If you do decide to leave home for a bit, we have a database of resources for runaway shelters. We are more than happy to find one for you, if you need somewhere safe to go.

Hope that this information helps!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X