Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am mentally abused and want to leave. Alabama

I am mentally abused and am tired of it. I honestly dont know what to do. Im a month from being 16 and this has been happening ever since my mom married my abusive stepdad. I have been told things like i am a peice of trash and i am nothing and never will be anything. It is amplified by severe depression and anxiety. I don't want to hear about how to handle my feelings I just want to know how to get away from my parents legally.

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us.

We are sorry to hear things have been difficult at home with your dad. If it might be an option for you, you could file an abuse report. You could call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can help provide you information on how to file an abuse report. While we are not legal experts just speaking generally, if you are to leave home without your parents permission and a police report is filed the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. With your parents permission in most cases you could legally move in with any other family member or friend. Leaving home can be hard in many cases. You might want to think about how you might pay for rent, food and other living expenses.In some states getting emancipated could be another option where you could be considered an adult but it is something you need to qualify for. In most cases you are required to prove that you can take care of yourself independtly, have a job and can pay for all your expenses.

You are acting strong by reaching out for help in this hard situation. You are not alone and we are here to support you through this process. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) we would be happy to listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X