Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and hating my home

So I'm 16 and I NEED to get away from my parents. The only problem is that a minor running away in Texas is illegal. What if I went to a different state?

Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. It sounds like you are having trouble at home and you want to get away from your parents. We are not legal experts, but from what we know running away is not illegal. You cannot get arrested for running away, it's what's known as a status offense which means that it is something you cannot do because you are a minor. In most states, a person has to be 18 or older before they can leave home without their parents consent. You could visit the website (sexetc.org) to view the age of majority for each state, it is a year higher than the age of minority. If you decide to leave home without your parent's permission, they have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although you can't get arrested for running away, if you were to leave home and stay with a friend they could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. You may also want to consider looking into emancipation laws for your state as well. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
    Last edited by ccsmod2; 01-19-2018, 03:45 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X