• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: joint custudy

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it seems like home is not a great place to be and are looking for a way out. Remember that if you are ever feeling in immediate danger, you are able to dial 911 for safety reasons.

You mentioned that you have been dealing with a lot of emotional and verbal abuse, it is unfortunate to hear that you are not comfortable in your home. No one ever deserves to be treated that way, you should always feel comfortable in your own home. Have you considered talking to anyone about how you have been feeling? Perhaps an option could be to speak to your school counselor and seeing if there are ways that you would be able to go live with your mother.

We want to let you know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak in general terms about your situation. An option you may want to consider is reaching out to a legal aid and asking some questions regarding what it would take in order for you mother to regain custody of you. If you are able to give us a call, we would be more than willing to provide you with a resource where you will be able to do so.

We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    joint custudy

I want to live with my mom in about to be 16. my dad says he will not let me live with my mom .there is a lot of Veble and amoshnal abuse.
    he has threaten to hit us with a thick leather belt. he has before and left marks.his girl friend gets in my and my sisters face and holds her kids on a pedistol . i just need to get out of there.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    replied
    RE: Want to live with my mom but dad won't let me.

Hello there –

Thank you for getting back into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline again. Sounds like you have some more information regarding you situation at home. More specifically wanting to move out of your father’s house and move in to live with your mother. It can be very overwhelming when there isn’t a direct answer if you can leave or not.

Now like we have stated before, we are aren’t legal experts here by any means, so we can only talk in general about what the rules/laws are for runaways. Since it sounds like both of your parents aren’t on the same page with letting you move from one house to the other, just leaving might be a little difficult. One parent usually gets awarded primary custody (your father) and the other secondary custody (your mother); assuming since you’ve been living with your father. So if your mother were to just come and get you, she might be get in trouble with the law herself. If it’s not in the agreement that she’s even allowed to see you, according to the judge’s discretion, your father could press charges against her and take her to court.

We know that you have stated that your father doesn’t seem to be on board with you letting you leave with your mother. Is there any particular reason of that decision? Your father may give you permission to live with another family (i.e your mother), but without getting an official document from the court he would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that he can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again until your 18. If you were to leave home and live with your mother, think about what your father might do in that situation. Either give you permission or file a runaway report. Maybe talking to the both of them at the same time to come up with a solid plan about the reasons why you want to move from your father's house

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).
    Last edited by ccsmod8; 07-14-2015, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Want to live with my mom but dad won't let me

Thank you, but yeah they have joint custody. But my dad doesn't want me to move with my mom so technically they aren't both ok with it. My mom is but he isn't.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod12
    replied
    Re: Want to live with my mom but dad won't let me

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Hopefully you’ll find our answer helpful.
    We’re sorry you feel this way, and we understand how frustrating this must be for you. We really want you to know that no one deserves to feel this way, or be treated this way. You said that things have gotten physical with your dad in the past, if you are interested on making a report on this there is a phone number that you might find useful, the agency is called CHILD USA and their phone number is 1-800-422-4453. You also mentioned that this situation makes you want to die, and just know you are not alone so if you ever feel this way again you can contact the National Suicide Hotline which is 1-800-273-8255. Just so you know, you don’t have to be suicidal to call this hotline, this hotline is for people that are going and feeling the same emotions as you. They also have a chat in case you do not feel comfortable with actually talking on the phone, you can go to http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/.

You also mentioned wanting to live with your mom, and that situation can be a bit complex. If your parents have shared custody you are able to live with your mom, if both parents are okay with that. Also, it all depends on what your parents settled in court when they were fighting on custody. However if you feel comfortable with reporting the abuse that you talk about and your parents are open with going back to court, you could share with the judge how you feel unsafe with your dad. We are not legal experts though so please keep in mind that what we are saying is just generally speaking.

Again this can be a complicated thing to explain through here since we do not know more details about your current situation and who has custody, so if you feel comfortable with contacting us, please do at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We are here 24/7 to help you. Hope this was helpful. Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Want to live with my mom but dad won't let me

Want to live with my mom but dad won't let me

I'm 15 about to be 16 in August. I want to live with my mom but my dad keeps denying it and giving me a really hard time saying i can't. I'm visiting my mom in Massachusetts sense it's summer , My dad lives in New York. I don't want to go back. It's really bad there there's a lot of emotional abuse and at a time there was physical. It makes me wanna die being there. I just want to stay here permanently. Can he make me come back once I'm 16? Or if I have to go back what can I do so I can move with her? I need answers ! PLEASE HELP AND TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO GET OUT OF MY DADS HOUSE.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X