Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Im 14 almost 15 in august and i want to live with my mom but everytime i try to move in with her my dad always gets my mind off it so that i wont and so that i wont leave him but i want to live with my mom it woulf make me happy and my dad doesnt see that it makes me happy shouldn't he want what makes me happy even if it doesnt have him in the picture and i know it will hurt him because he has had me and my brother for 7 years and i barely get to see my mom only on holidays or special events and im a 14 year old girl and every gurl needs her mom i need my mom i have gone so long without a mom and its time for me to have a special bond with her do you think my dad should say yes and let me be with my mom for a few years

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us today. We're sorry you're having a difficult time with your living situation at the moment. It sounds like you're 17 and will be 18 in February, so you have a couple of options.

So normally when someone leaves home before the age of 18 they could be considered a runaway if their parent files a runaway report for them. Running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense. This means that the police would be looking for you and would have to bring you back home if they found you. You would not get arrested and it would not go on your record, though.

When it comes to leaving your mom's house to go live with your dad the situation might be a little bit more complicated. We are not legal experts, but this situation really depends on who has custody of you, if your parents have joint custody, and things along those lines. What you can do is try and figure out how exactly the custody between your parents works. Depending on that the police may have different responses and may let you stay with your dad.

We apologize for not having a more straight forward answer, but sometimes situations can be a little tricky and depend on a lot of different factors. If you want to talk more about what you're going through please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 and someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way we can.

We wish you the best of luck with everything!

Guest replied
    i want to live with my dad but my mom wont let me i just want to build chemistry with my dad i will 18 in feb..

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi there,
    Glad you reached out to us. It can be really difficult to talk about these types of issues, and we are so sorry to hear that you are caught between two living situations you aren’t happy with.
    It sounds like you are considering alternative options and weighing out what decision will be best moving forward. One option you asked about is whether you can legally move in with a friend if your friend’s parent is okay with it. We aren’t legal experts here, but we can tell you what we’ve learned from experience.
    If you are over 18 years old, you can move out legally any time in most states. However, if you are under 18 years old, your parents/guardians do get the final say on where you live. So, if they are okay with you living with your friend, then you should legally be able to do that without problems.
    If they aren’t, then things can be a little trickier, but there may still be options. Depending on your age, one thing you can look into is the emancipation process. It varies state-to-state, but we are happy to provide you with resources for your area if interested.
    Another option might be asking your parents if you can move in with another relative/family member they might feel more comfortable with. If there is someone like that in your family, it might be worth asking them about it.
    If you are thinking of moving out without their permission, that is always an option, but it is good to think through a few things first. Parents/guardians do have the right to file what is called a ‘runaway report’ if their child leaves without them saying it is okay. It won’t get you into legal trouble, but it would likely mean that police would look for you and bring you back home if they find you. Their goal is usually to reunite families and figure out what is going on that made the youth run away. Parents can also file a ‘harboring a runaway report’ against an adult that lets you stay with them. This can sometimes carry legal consequences for that adult.
    Not all parents respond to their child leaving by filing these types of reports, but it is just good to know that it is a possibility.
    There may also be youth shelters you could stay in without parental permission, depending on your age and state you live in. We are happy to look into that with you too.
    To talk through these or other ideas you have in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us via our 24/7 hotline number at 1-800-RUNAWAY or via our chat services at www.1800runaway.org.
    Best of luck,
    National Runaway Safeline (NRS)

Guest replied
    OK so I hate my life with my mom and dad my mom's trying to make me move back with her but I don't want to im not happy with my mom but I'm also not happy with my dad, if you wanted to go live with your friends parent and they say yes how can you legally live with them

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply:

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are quite unhappy about living with your mom and would probably like to live with your father.
    Some situations can become stressful and frustrating but you did well reaching out to NRS today.
    Good job.

We would like to know how you were hoping we might assist you with your situation.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    If you would like to speak to someone about what has been going on contact NRS.

To contact NRS you can call or chat at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    bro im 15 my dad doesnt even have aloud to see me but my mom allows it she has full custody but she lives off the government and drug dealers are all over the area a lot of nights i dont even get anything to eat but at my dads its the opposite i want to live with my dad and never have to see my mom again

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply:Hi, I'm a 16 year old guy from Florida.

Hello,
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear about your situation, it sounds like things have become quite frustrating for you.
    Unfortunately your situation is one that may require a legal expert in immigration and custody issues.
    We do not have legal experts at NRS. You might consider locating a legal aid service in your area to seek information about your options.
    You are welcome to contact NRS for assistance in trying to locate legal aid services in your area.

Give NRS a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live Chat).

We are here to listen and here to help.

Take Care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm a 16 year old guy from Florida. I was born in venezuela and moved to America from about 4 years ago. I live with my mom and step dad in South Florida, they want to send me back to my old country and also want me to live with my real dad in Venezuela who i havent seen or talked to since him and my mom got divorced. I do not want to go back because I want to go to school and graduate here in America and hopefully have a career in the Future. I also don't want to go back because venezuela is going through a really hard moment with its economy and government right now.

I'm still a teenager and I'm wondering if I have the right to live with my mom even tho she wants me to go back with my dad who I don't like. I'm wondering if I can stay here until I graduate, have a job and be an independent person. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that living with your dad hasn’t been going well. It sounds like you really feel a connection to your mom. We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you’d like to make changes to your living arrangement, you may need to speak with your mom about petitioning a court to make changes to the custody agreement currently in place. It’s important to note that this may take some time, so it may help to try to approach your dad to find out if he’s open to making some changes at home that might help you feel more included.

Beyond those two things, you always have the option of reaching out to us if you feel that you need someone to talk to. We’re available 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), everyday via chat from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. Your situation sounds really tough and you’ve taken a really responsible step in reaching out for help. We can’t tell you what to do, but we will share as much information as we can to help you stay as safe as possible. We wish you the best of luck. Stay safe!

• ccsmod10
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re being threatened at home. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you have a teacher or school counselor that you’re close with, talking to them could provide you with more support.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My step-dad yells at me for the things that are crazy.I close my door but it sounds like it slams since my Windows are open and he says he is gonna be at my ass if I don't stop.Please help in only 11 and I feel like I live in a hell hole.PLEASE HELP

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 14 and half and i want to live with my mom. when i am with my dad he doesn't understand me. my mom gets me and knows what i like. I fell left out a lot and i want to move please help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us. It sounds like you’re in a really difficult situation right now. We are sorry that your dad isn’t letting you see your mom even though you want to, that sounds like it is really isolating.

We know you mentioned you only get to see your mom at your lunch break at school for about 10 minutes. It’s great you get to see her then, even if it is for so little time. Something that you could consider doing is talking to her about going to court to see if she could get joint custody or even full custody of you. If your parents have joint custody you should be getting to see your mother, so maybe contacting Child Protective Services could also be a good resource.

Again, we are so sorry that you are going through this right now. It sounds really stressful and unfair. If you want to talk more about your situation please don’t hesitate to reach out to us again. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are opened 24/7 so someone will always be here to listen to you and see what else we can do for you.

Guest replied
    Im 13 . 5 days before my 11birthday my parents got divorced . My dad won custody first i was allowed to talk her . Then my father changed my number and deleted all my contats i lost my moms number . And im not allowed to even have it. I only see her in school in lunch break which lasts 10minutes rarely . My father finds out and gets really mad . In my birthday 17 april 13 years old my mom gave me 10 dollars i didnt tell my dad . Somehow he found out . He called and he said did anyone gave u money i was like no then he went like dont you dare lie to me and ill see you when i get home . I havent slept with my mom since 2014 and i really miss her hugging me at rainy nights . And when i had nightmares. Im waiting for my father to come home . I have 2 bigger brothers going thru this . And a stepmother and a grandma that talk ******** bout my mom

Is running away illegal? How old do I have to be before I leave home? What is emancipation? We can address these legal questions and more about runaway and homeless youth on this board.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X