X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod16
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello, thanks for reaching out today! It sounds like home is really stressful and unsafe right now. We are here to help and offer resources and options to help you keep yourself safer.
    Your safety is our priority! Child Help is an agency that can better define abuse and help you with next steps on how to make an abuse report (childhelp.org, 1-800-422-4453) They can also give information on getting custody transferred to a safe adult like your mom. We can also conference call with you and make an abuse report if you would like to as we know that can be a scary step to take. We are open 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.
    We can also provide you other resources like legal aid, counseling, and other youth services. Perhaps someone at school like a teacher or counselor can also help you if you feel comfortable talking about the abuse with them.
    Perhaps there is a social worker or resource officer or case manager from your dealings with the law or at school or for your custody case that could help you get custody transferred to your mom or someone else safe.
    You do not deserve to be hit and punched by your dad. We are here to help you and your safety is our first priority.

Stay safe and reach out again via phone (1-800-RUNAWAY) or on our website’s live chat!

Guest replied
    Im 15, and in my city, you can take your case to court when you turn 14. I want to live with my mom, but my dad wont let me. I want to talk to him about it, but im scared that he wont let me, and will hit me. He has threatened death, calls me a useless piece of ****. I recently got in trouble and got suspended for something kinda illegal, and my dad hates me because of it. the other day, he threw me to the ground and punched me in the head. Im really scared of what he might do to me if he finds out im writing this, and I dont know what to do.... help plz.
    Last edited by ccsmod16; 03-19-2018, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hello thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad that you are reaching out for help it’s a real sign of maturity. We want you to know that we are not legal experts but in most states the age or majority is 18. (Nebraska 19, Alabama 20) This means that you are legally responsible for yourself and your parents/ guardians can no longer control what you do and where you go. On the other hand your parents/guardians are no longer required to provide you with food, shelter, or financial assistance anymore. We understand that becoming an adult is a big step and we want to make sure that you know that you are supported during this time. So yes it sould be okay for you to go and live with your mother.
    We hope this information helps,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 18 and my dad has custody of me but i want to go live with my mother and she is okay with it. will i get in trouble for moving in with her and not telling my dad?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We appreciate you taking the time to explain about your situation.

From what your email mentioned, you’re wanting to live with your mom full time. We’re not legal experts, but we have heard of courts allowing the youth to choose which parent the youth wants to live with. From what we know, it comes down to custody. If the parents you’re living with currently is your legal guardian, then they have say over where you live. If you leave home without your legal guardians permission, that is considered running away. Police will return you back home if they find you while on the run. If both of your parents have custody over you, it could make the decision making more flexible. We have legal aid resources in our database and they help youth free. They may know different options for you to be able to live with your mom, or represent you in court. If you’re interested in those resources, let us know and we will try our best to connect you with them.

If you’d like to talk more about the options we listed, please don’t hesitate to call us. Our safeline is open 24/7.

Best , NRS

Guest replied
    I want to live with my mom full time but I have to go to my dads every Wednesday and every other weekend. My moms says there has to be an open case for me to talk to the judge. There are many reasons I don’t want to live with him anymore. Is there anyways I can talk to a judge without having an open case? Is there any way I can live with my mom for full time?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm 15 about to be 16 in August. I want to live with my mom but my dad keeps denying it and giving me a really hard time saying i can't. I'm visiting my mom in Massachusetts sense it's summer , My dad lives in New York. I don't want to go back. It's really bad there there's a lot of emotional abuse and at a time there was physical. It makes me wanna die being there. I just want to stay here permanently. Can he make me come back once I'm 16? Or if I have to go back what can I do so I can move with her? I need answers ! PLEASE HELP AND TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO GET OUT OF MY DADS HOUSE.
    I have the exact same situation and I need to get out really soon. But I dont want to face my dad in court.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about the way your mom has been treating you. You shouldn't have to feel like a burden in your home. It sounds like you would like to move in with your dad but your mom doesn't want you to. You could try talking to your dad about the possibility of you moving in with him. Your dad could also contact legal aid to get custody of you. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource for information on how to transfer custody. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

Guest replied
    I've been living with my mom for almost 6 years now. I just turned 14 yesterday. Since I'll be in high school next year I really want to live with my dad. But of course my mom's always making reason;s as to why I shouldn't live with him. Sometimes though it feels like my mom doesn't even treat me as her child more as a burden and I'm really tired of coming home from school thinking about what my mom's gonna be mad at me for. I just want to be with my dad knowing he'll actually take care of me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re thinking about making some difficult decisions, and we hope that we can help you out. It makes sense that you’re looking for a change of scenery and also for new experiences. With growing up comes the need for independence, and how you wish to navigate that is up to you. You also mention wanting to spend time with your little brother and sister, which is admirable and positive. If you’re serious about trying to leave home, we have some relevant services for you. We are able to act as third-party mediators for youth who want to talk to their parents but don’t know how to say what they’re thinking. We can conference call with you and your mom and make sure that your voice is heard in the conversation. We also can help you figure out what you want to say to your mom in the first place. Even if you just need someone to talk to about your feelings regarding this situation, we are here to talk to you. Just give us a call, 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

Hopefully this message was helpful. If you would like further information, then please give us a call. We wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

Guest replied
    I am 14 and live with my mom, she is very loving and kind but I am starting to have feelings that I should go live with my dad. 1.) because I need a fresh breath of air / change of scenery I’ve lived with my mom for years and want a new experience 2.) I want a fresh start at a new school, (living with my dad would allow that) 3.) I can spend more time with my little brother and sister. But I love my mom and I don’t know how to tell her I want to live with my dad without hurting her feelings.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi,
    Thanks for writing in. It sounds like you're in a difficult situation with your mom. It can be really difficult having to move somewhere when you aren't comfortable doing that. You mention that you're hoping your mom will give you a chance and you're wondering what you can do. One option that might help is having a conversation with your mom about what she specifically wants to see on your side. This might be a good time for you to share what you need from her as well. It can be helpful sometimes to have a "family contract" explaining what you both agree to do so that you're both on the same page. It can also be useful to have another adult around to have that conversation with you both so that the conversation stays fair and productive. If you need help with that, you might consider asking a guidance counselor or a therapist. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference calling service and one of our trained liners can help you have that conversation as well. If you would like to do that, please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929.

You mention that you're thinking of running away again. While we're not legal experts, generally speaking you need to be 18 to leave home without your parents' permission. If you are under 18, your family would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police find you, they would return you home. That being said,it might be an option to stay with another friend or family member with your family's permission.

If you ever need to talk to someone or need help figuring out your options, we're always here to listen and to help. Please feel free to give us a call 24/7. We hope that this message was helpful to you and we encourage you to give your honest feedback through the link below this post. Best of luck to you and stay safe!
    Last edited by ccsmod5; 02-13-2018, 08:31 PM.

Guest replied
    My mom wants to make me move with my dad even though i she knows i don't wanna move just because i missed one class today she want to make me move what do i do for her to just give me a chance because i was thinking about running away again

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi, thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you really want to be with your mom and your step sister, and that you feel like your dad doesn't give you enough freedom. That is understandable and normal, and it sounds like your mom trusts you and treats you like an adult, especially if she is taking you to work.

A lot of what you are describing sounds like pretty normal stuff for kids that are growing up. It may be a little more complicated, especially if you have a blended family and if your mom and dad are in seperate households. It definitely makes sense for you to want some freedoms and to feel heard.

If you wanted to talk more about this situation to get some support, we are here and we can help. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), or if you feel more comfortable you can reply to this message or try our online chat. Good luck!

Guest replied
    i want to live with my mom and see my mom on occasions but my dad refuses to let me because he says my mom doesn't watch me and she doesn't care about what i do, but the truth is my mom lets me have a life and she actually gives me freedom, but when i go to far she grounds me, and my dad on the other hand never lets me do anything, but he lets my sister do stuff only bc they like her boyfriend, here are some things they encourage my sister to do and the things they let her to do. well they let peyton my sisters boyfriend stay a night that is something my mom will never let happen even if she likes the boys me and my step sisters are with, and another thing they encourage her to have sex with him, and say its fine if they do thats them, im not going to lie i do alot of bad stuff when im at my dads and i do less stuff when im living with my mom bc she does watch and yea ive done some stupid things but that is everywhere i have been and, let me tell you things ive done at my dads i have a tattoo i snuck out and got it like 2 months ago and i have snuck out multiple times and i have smoked and drinked on the side of the house. but at my moms i would go to work with her every night and during the day i was with my step sister

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X