No announcement yet.

Want to live with my mom but dad won't let me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and I use to live with my dad but there was too much emotional abuse and it was making me self harm then I refused to go home with him and have been living at my grams for years now but that hasn't been any better. I've always wanted to live with my step mom but then they made me stop going there on weekend because of the fact I was happy there. Next week I have to go to court for missing so much school and the judge sent a letter saying there is a high chance of me being put in foster care. But I don't know what to say to judge or anything to see if I would be able to live with my step mom. I just don't know what to do anymore please help.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and for sharing a bit about your situation. . It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional abuse does get overwhelming and you deserve to be getting some help with it. It sounds like your step mom has been the only positive or comfortable environment for you recently and you would rather live there which is totally understandable.

We are not legal experts, and we cannot say for sure what might happen at your future court hearing. It could be helpful to ask if you will have a guardian ad litem or a court advocate there to speak on your behalf. If you do have one, this would be a good person to speak to about your concerns and what you feel would be best for your well-being since their job is to advocate for you and your needs. Perhaps speaking to your step-mom about this would help as well to find out if she is able to help in any way. We can refer you to a legal aid resource if you would like to speak with a lawyer before this court hearing in order to learn more about what to expect and what concerns you should be bringing up.

We truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time and provide any resources you might need (i.e.legal aid). You can contact us directly anytime by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
      NRS

• Me too I want to live with my mom but I am to sacred to ask him for some reason I say I going to tell him and at the end of the day I to sacred to ask him I don’t know why I am scared to ask him

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It can be really hard to open up to your parents when you aren't sure what the response will be and sometime's it's helpful to have someone else advocate for you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your dad so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• So I am 16 and live in Washington state with my father, fathers girlfriend and half-sibling, my mother lives in Arizona but will be moving to Florida soon and I would like to live with her, things were ruff with her when i was growing up because she was suisideal after she lost custody of me and got into an abusive relationship adn it was toxic for about 9 years, however they broke up2 years ago and now she has a job and is going to school and has really turned her life around, I have not talked to my father about it because I am not sure how he would react, my dad has been dating this girl for about 13 years and shes really emotionally abusive towards me, they had a kid 8 years( half-sibling ) ago and she does not treat us equally, she disciplines me by making me write sentences, grounding me, hitting me and bribes me to tell her things by taking my phone, she body shames me then coddles me after when she sees I'm upset and says she only does it because she loves me... and when I tell my dad he only says its because she loves and she lies to him when I tell him what really happens when he's not home. I have told my mother numerous times what happens and she has filed papers to CPS and they do investigations but nothing ever happens. I really want to live with my mother because I am done with emotional abuse and body shaming. I have done hours of research on emancipation and it might be something ill look into if my father denies my request to live with my mother and if the judge denies my mothers request for custody. how can I present my request to my father? and what if it doesn't work? what would be my next steps?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. This could be a possibility if you stay with your mom and she doesn't have custody of you. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. I am sorry they haven't been more helpful with your situation in the past. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I really want to live with my dad. i just don't know how to tell my mom since shes abusive and black. I hate it here.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-08-2020, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you feel that your mother has been abusive towards you and you would like to go live with your father. You don’t deserve to be abused. What has been happening is not your fault. It took a lot of courage for you to reach out to NRS. Good for you.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X