Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 looking to cross states on probation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 looking to cross states on probation.

Hey! I'm a 16 year old young man who was told to leave my home with my temporary custodians. I am currently on probation for credit card fraud and stealing shoes, but have made the choice to leave theft out of my life due to the legal issues it has put me under. Lately, my temporary custodians kicked me out and now they want me back. I am going to California to pursue my career in music. What should I expect?

re: 16 looking to cross states on probation.

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you are currently not home, our biggest concern is your safety. If you are not in a safe place or are on the streets, please feel free to give us a call to 1-800-RUNAWAY and we would be able to help you find shelter in the area you are in.

It sounds like you are wanting to leave to California and try to follow your dreams. It is great that you want to pursue your career in music, perhaps there are some things that you want to consider before deciding not to head back home. We listed some questions below that you might want to think about:
    • Do I have a place to stay?
    • What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
    • What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
    • Who can I depend on if I leave home?
    • Do I have a safe, solid plan?
    • What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work?

Just to let you know, we are not legal experts here, meaning that we are only able to speak generally about your situation. Because you are away from home, your legal guardians would be able to file a runaway report and if you were found, you would typically be forced to come home. Running away isn’t necessarily illegal, it is a status offense. Which means that you are not allowed to do it because you are a minor. But because you are on probation, there might be consequences to you running away. As I mentioned, we are not legal experts here so we would not be able to talk about how every county/state would handle this situation. The best way to find out is by reach out to your local police department and asking some general questions.

We hope that we were able to give you a general idea of what might happen now that you are gone. If you have any other questions or if you would like to know more about shelters in your area to be in a safe place, please feel free to give us a call, we are here 24/7 and would be more than happy to talk to you about your situation. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X