17- 18 in a month, pa, and want to move out for college

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17- 18 in a month, pa, and want to move out for college

I will be 18 in one month and I want to move out of state to go to college. I graduated high school and my mother will not let me go. I have a friend I can live with and I will not need any money from my mom. Can I move out legally so I can make a life for myself by going to a good school?

Re: 17-18 in a month, pa, and want to move out for college

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been having a pretty difficult time lately but we’re glad that you reached out. We’re here to help the best that we can.

So it sounds like you are pretty close to turning 18, and you have already graduated high school and are thinking about your future and want college to be a part of it. It is really awesome to have made it this far, and that you want to continue with your education. That is something to be proud of. It sounds like you have a friend that will let you stay with them which is wonderful, it’s good to know that you have that support. Do you have ideas of where you could go if at some point down the road things did not work out with your friend?

We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if you leave without legal guardian’s permission before the age of 18, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made and the police find you, they would just bring you back home. However, anyone you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. It sounds like you are pretty close to being 18, so it’s possible that this is something less concerning to you. In some cases, moving out at 18 is more difficult than expected because of financial instability. You shared that you will not need any money from your mom which has got to be a good feeling. Do you have your own income?

We’re here to help you out in any way that we can. If you would like to talk further through your options and plan, we’re here to support you. Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X